Remove rain jacket on ride?

cristen72

Mouseketeer
i know I have read you must remove ponchos before getting on a ride. What about a lightweight zip up jacket?

I've never seen anyone be told to remove a poncho. And no you don't have to remove any jackets

We were told to remove ponchos for Great Move Ride at DHS this month and Living With the Land at Epcot in March. I don't recall them saying anything to the people wearing jackets.

We rode Everest with ponchos, but it was still sprinkling out... Everyone had their ponchos and jackets on. Maybe it's an indoor/outdoor ride thing?

Come to think about it, I do think I remember seeing someone asked to remove their poncho before getting on the GMR.

I do believe they only ask you to remove ponchos on rides where there's zero need for them. GMR, Living with the Land, RnR, Soarin, etc.

I'm here now and it has been pouring - we were asked to remove ponchos on Space and Sum of all thrills. At Sum they made us take them off and shake them out, and put them in our bag before we were allowed to get in line. I think as long as your jacket isn't dripping you might be able to keep jackets on.

Several years ago we had to remove our ponchos for all attractions at DHS. It actually defeated the purpose of wearing a poncho, since we got wet from constantly putting them on and taking them off. On the same trip, we went to MK in the rain and were allowed to wear them at all attractions, including Mickey's PhilharMagic, which is in a theater. I don't recall if anyone who was wearing another type of outerwear was instructed to remove it.

I imagine some CMs are just trying to keep the seats dry.

That could be it. Journey Into Your Imagination was once held up by a woman who refused to even get near the ride vehicle because someone before her had worn a poncho on the ride and the seat had a puddle on it. The Cast Members had to get towels to wipe it down for her (and yes, it was water, not another kind of puddle).

That could be it. Journey Into Your Imagination was once held up by a woman who refused to even get near the ride vehicle because someone before her had worn a poncho on the ride and the seat had a puddle on it. The Cast Members had to get towels to wipe it down for her (and yes, it was water, not another kind of puddle).

They can probably squeeze more people in if they take their ponchos off as well. I know if they were seating me next to someone with a wet poncho, I'd probably want to leave extra space between us.

We also have been asked to remove ponchos, our experience was on all the rides we did at DHS. FWIW, it was pretty wet because it was raining hard. But having a jacket on would be no different than just a wet hoodie or t-shirt so I doubt they'd ask you to remove that.

I imagine some CMs are just trying to keep the seats dry.

Honestly, I appreciate this. Some days when it rains/drizzles but not everyone wears a poncho or jacket, it can be annoying to have to sit in someone's rain puddle on an indoor ride and have my shirt and pants wet for a long time. There's not really a good reason to keep your poncho on in an indoor ride when it takes seconds to stand in shelter and shake it off (even if you then just hold it on your lap if safe to do so).

I usually don't wear a poncho or jacket unless the rain is heavy or very cold, and I understand if you don't have something to cover your bottom like a jacket or such refusing to sit in a puddle (which seems to be more of an issue with ponchos as I feel like not a ton of lightweight jackets [I'm thinking those North Face-type windbreakers] extend down past the behind area). Yes, I could avoid that if I wanted to carry a jacket, but I think if there's enough water accumulated to cause a bit of a puddle, it should be wiped off. Now, outdoor rides like TTA, Aladdin, Dumbo, etc. I completely understand semi-wet seats as they can't prevent the rain from wetting them. I find after a while some seats, like fabric ones, start to smell when left with water on them too.

I also think with a ride like Space Mountain where you probably have strangers sitting behind you, it wouldn't be very pleasant to have water spraying off someone's poncho when you sit behind them. I would also imagine the poncho could present a safety issue with vehicles/tracks because it's longer and looser flowing than a jacket.

Last edited:
It rained quite a bit during our trip the first of Aug. CMs told guests to remove their ponchos at the entrance to every single indoor ride. They required it before actually getting on the ride. We switched to using umbrellas for this exact reason.

It rained quite a bit during our trip the first of Aug. CMs told guests to remove their ponchos at the entrance to every single indoor ride. They required it before actually getting on the ride. We switched to using umbrellas for this exact reason.

I actually didn't realize they did this but considering we don't tend to wear ponchos, it now makes sense why we've never been told! It's good to know though so we're prepared in the event we do.

I was actually just telling a friend that I was going to be bringing umbrellas on our upcoming trip because I thought they'd be a lot easier to deal with (for the reason you described). My friend disagrees and thinks umbrellas would get in the way and not be able to be used in many places...I don't agree and don't understand her reasoning - did you ever have issues with your umbrellas being a nusiance to yourself or other guests?

I like the idea of bringing an umbrella. It's so much easier. I can just shake the umbrella and pack it in a ziploc bag before going on a ride. I'm still packing ponchos just in case.

We had several days of poncho wearing on our trip this month. We spent some time in Mexico hiding from the deluge, and we took our ponchos off when we entered the building. They were asking people to remove them for the boat ride.

remove ponchos on Space and Sum of all thrills
Tangent nit: "Space" is ambiguous, since it could mean Space Mountain or Mission:Space. I'm guessing you meant the latter, since Sum of all Thrills is at Epcot, but a roller coaster fanatic might have park hopped from SM to SoaT.

I was actually just telling a friend that I was going to be bringing umbrellas on our upcoming trip because I thought they'd be a lot easier to deal with (for the reason you described). My friend disagrees and thinks umbrellas would get in the way and not be able to be used in many places...I don't agree and don't understand her reasoning - did you ever have issues with your umbrellas being a nusiance to yourself or other guests?

I like the idea of bringing an umbrella. It's so much easier. I can just shake the umbrella and pack it in a ziploc bag before going on a ride. I'm still packing ponchos just in case.

No issues with umbrellas anywhere. Now, we didn't do something like go sit at F! with them or stand to watch Wishes, just walking in the park. Only time we had to do anything with them was going through the turnstiles. They make you take it down then but they are under cover so no issue.

We keep Disney shopping bags to put them in. Easy to carry since they have a handle. And umbrellas come in handy even when it's sunny since they are instant shade too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter