Religious Ed/CCD fees

$125 per child, $15 books, $35 sacramental fees

weekly class September-April

tuition waived if you volunteer to teach

I am a first year Religious Ed teacher in our Catholic Church and no discount for me. Kids are $40 each and an extra $65 for sacrament prep for my 2nd grader (reconcilliation and first communion). We have over 1000 kids in the program (HUGE parish) so that would be a lot to ask of parishioners to pay for the texts/workbooks/copies, etc. Our program started this week and ends the first of May. Hour long classes weekly.

I am in CT. I paid (I think) $85 for 3 kids. I think one kid was around $55, the 2nd was around $65ish.

It started last week although I thought my younger 2 started at the end of the month so they missed the first week...oooopps! Grades 1-5 go on Sunday am from 9-10:15 to coincide with the mass before & after. Grades 6-8 go on Monday night from 7-8:15 & Grade 9 goes Sunday night. Why grade 9??? I made my confirmation in Grade 8 so I just don't get it.

Oh & it ends the first week of May or the last week of April.

They get a book/folder.

Seminary *LDS* is free - I went all 4 years of HS daily *it was a class ~ except for one quarter each year* In areas where there aren't many LDS members it's taught before school in a home *again free.

ETA ~ there are also evening classes for adults *once a week* again no charge.

When we were Catholic it was about $50 per child.

Now that we're Jewish, it's $900 per child, and that's considered "cheap" by local standards. Our synagogue only has about 20 students.

I was looking at these and thinking how lucky everyone is!

We're Jewish and I just paid a little over $1,000 for my 5 and 7 year old's Suday school. That's on top of temple dues which are fairly pricey. Next year, I will have 3 kids in Sunday school and my oldest will start Hebrew school so it will be about $2,000 on top of temple dues.

$0....I'm not Catholic but I've never paid for regular religion classes. Regular weekly classes are included in the education budget.

Occasionally there is a charge for something that has a cost above what would be covered by the churches regular education budget. For instance, DD16 went on a weekend retreat Labor Day weekend. There was a $55 cost to cover lodging and meals.

My kids go to Hebrew School. When they went 1 day a week for 2.5 hours it was $450 Sept. thru May with a $50 discount for additional child. When they started 2 days a week it went to $500 for the first child and added 2 hours a week. My oldest started in 1st grade and started 2 days a week in 3rd grade. My youngest started in kindergarten and was switched to 2 days a week in second grade. I don't know the difference between Sunday school and Hebrew school.

This year we have about 15 kids in preschool thru 7th grade. They can continue on past that but my oldest is in 7th so I'm not familiar with that yet. Then there is also individual Bar/Bat Mitzvah tutoring often correlating to 7th grade for an additional cost.

In ct here. We pay $125for 1st child, our 2nd was $75. Additional fees for sacrament years. If you teach its free. We meet end of sept till easter with the exception of school holidays. Class is about 1 hr long. We have a small parish and they are often in need of teachers.

cstwwt said:
Hi All, just wondering what you are paying per child for religious ed classes or CCD classes at your church.......ours are $50.00 per child....for an 90 min class once a week for 30 weeks.......I'm wondering if that is standard.....Thanks in advance!!!!! Wendy:)

Our church's religious Ed is $80 per child, if I remember right. I paid back in early July so I'm not 100%. It's from kindergarten through 9th (when children in our diocese receive confirmation). When my older daughter was in CCD (she is a senior in HS, we used to pay only 25 or 30 per year, so I was a bit surprised it went up so much in just a couple years.

Wow, reading these costs, its a good thing I'm Protestant.....I couldn't afford to be Catholic or Jewish! :goodvibes

Sunday School (about an hour per week) at our Methodist church is from September through May for all ages. If we have enough kids around 7th grade who are interested, Confirmation class may be offered as well. There is no charge. An offering is taken, which usually is earmarked for some mission project that would of special interest to young people. Sunday School budget comes out of our general church budget. And that includes Bibles that are given to each child in 4th grade.

Wow, reading these costs, its a good thing I'm Protestant.....I couldn't afford to be Catholic or Jewish! :goodvibes

Sunday School (about an hour per week) at our Methodist church is from September through May for all ages. If we have enough kids around 7th grade who are interested, Confirmation class may be offered as well. There is no charge. An offering is taken, which usually is earmarked for some mission project that would of special interest to young people. Sunday School budget comes out of our general church budget. And that includes Bibles that are given to each child in 4th grade.

Same here, we are baptist. We charge nothing. Before we were non denominational charge nothing. I don't understand a church charging for what they are supposed to do. Everything our kids get, is budgeted. that is what people give offerings for every Sunday, but no amount is required. I would not pay for religious education at a church. OUr kids all get Bibles also, when they turn 5.

We also don't charge for vacation Bible school.

Same here, we are baptist. We charge nothing. Before we were non denominational charge nothing. I don't understand a church charging for what they are supposed to do. Everything our kids get, is budgeted. that is what people give offerings for every Sunday, but no amount is required. I would not pay for religious education at a church. OUr kids all get Bibles also, when they turn 5.

We also don't charge for vacation Bible school.

Not to start a debate, but to state what happens in our parish...

I frame the Religious Education fees in the context of a "suggested donation". The fee is not demanded of families, but a suggested amount. Most families are glad to pay as they are used to much higher fees for extracurricular activities. As I stated in an earlier post, our fees are $40 for 1 child, $50 for 2, $60 for 3 or more children with a discount for volunteers. I believe that by paying something it gives a bit of ownership to the program and credibility to what we do.

I do ask a donation of $25 per family for VBS to cover supplies, etc. and our families truly get their money's worth and then some.

Also, our congegation does not do a "full 10% tithe" as I know other denominations request and sometimes require around here and would venture to say that most in the congregation don't give anywhere near 10% in tithes.

The fees by no means cover even supplies, much less my salary for our programs and the remainder of my budget comes from the general fund.

Just my 2 cents worth.

And I have to ask, what in the world are the Jewish/Hebrew fees covering? Yikes, I was really surprised at those.

Well I'm a protestant and we would never think of charging a fee for religious education. And our church doesn't tithe.

We charge for VBS but it is less than $10 and if that is a problem it is waved. And the kids got a T shirt last year.

Our kids get their Bibles in 2nd grade.

I'm surprised to hear that Catholic churches charge for their Sunday school (I know it isn't on Sunday but that is what it is being compared to)

And I have to ask, what in the world are the Jewish/Hebrew fees covering? Yikes, I was really surprised at those.

A big chunk of it is for books. Remember that they are learning a different language complete with a totally different alphabet in addition to everything else being taught. I think the books were almost half the cost this year for us if I recall correctly. Plus most temples have a fund for members who are having financial hardship so there is a certain amount set aside to cover those who can't pay their own dues or tuition costs that year. I guess there's probably just a lot of overhead? I don't know, I just write the check. :laughing:

We're Catholic and don't pay anything for any grade level even Sacrament years. I had no idea some churches did.

I have three kids, all attending Faith Formation. I have taught several classes too and this year will be teaching my DD11's 6th grade class. We pay $95 per family. It went up $10 this year.

DS14 is prepping for confirmation and will have to attend a retreat the next two years and that is $150 each year for the weekend.

Oh, and the classes are an hour long and follow the regular school year. Our children's, youth, and high school ministries do a great job prepping everything and so I can see having to pay for the materials. Our church FINALLY moved the confirmation from 10th to 8th and I'm happy about that because with everythign else the kids do, sometimes getting to these classes are difficult. I have also done homeschool on years our schedule has been extremely tight.

Some of you pay A LOT!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter