Relax…Keep Calm…A Taking It Easy Adult Trip to Food and Wine The End!! 5.21.15

After our time at Animal Kingdom, we found ourselves at Epcot!

First we made a stop at Club Cool!!

We made it to the fountain before the rain let loose. We found a little alcove with a place to sit and watch the rain fall...

Eventually it let up...about 15 minutes later and we struck out in search of food!

Our first stop was Hawaii and one of my favorite from the October 2012 trip:

The Kalua Pork Slider (I apologize for this picture because it kind of looks gross...

But believe me it is delicious!!!! Still one of my favorites!

Now Food and Wine was one reason for the trip but we tried less than anticipated due to weather related issues. But what we did try was great...for the most part!

We then made our way to France:

We hung out (aka Keith found a bench and I went through the shops). While hanging out a couple of Princesses made their appearance! First was Aurora:

And then Belle appeared on her way backstage from her Meet and Greet...the exchange was cute because when she saw Aurora, Belle did this:

And then she headed on back...

I sent Madison this text:

I thought I was being sweet but evidently, she thought I was rubbing it in or something!

We hung out in France a tad bit longer...

We were actually wasting time until our dinner ADR, so we decided to go to Living with the Land...one of my favorite attractions. Even though it isn't high tech awesome, it has something I feel is missing from Future World since my childhood memories of the 80's have shut down!

I spy The Garden Grill!!

Continued in the following post...

After finishing our tour of LWTL, it was time to eat (perhaps!!) some of what we just saw!!

This is one Keith enjoys even with the characters and he suggests we go back often! As a matter of fact, it was a request for our trip in May.

We got the lower level again, which we love! I know one day we will get the upper level and hope it doesn't dull the experience!

It's also cool that the restaurant rotates so slowly, you cannot feel it but at the end of the meal, you are back where you began!

First up is the salad!! And the layout is sort of a Mickey head:

Such a delicious salad!!

And then my achilles heal! The bread and honey butter....nom, nom, nom!!

An then the main entrees!

So much goodness!!!

As we ate, the characters made their way around...

And the restaurant kept rotating...

And finally dessert!! The mixed wildberry cobbler:

And a chocolate cupcake that we received special (and I can't remember why...)

And proof that Keith really was there too!

After completing our meal, we made our way outside, where night had fallen:

My poor attempt of the monorail at night with the I-Phone:

The Puerto Rican booth...we will return another day.

And we found a place to watch Illuminations...

It was a great spot!! But we decided to not hang out...sprinkles were falling and we were afraid it would start to pour again and we weren't prepared with ponchos!

Epcot is just so pretty at night!!

Then Keith suggests we make one more stop before calling it a night! Spaceship Earth:

And here's to our future!!

We find ourselves on the wall...send a message to ourselves from the future...

And then we are on our way!! Here's to another successful day! So happy to have two great days so far because let's just say...tomorrow is, well, a different story!!

You usually try to do 4 parks 1 day each trip if I recall. So I guess AK and on to Epcot could be considered practice? :)

Phew. So glad this rain didn't last forever at least. At least not on this day.

Aww, that photo of Belle is great. One of my favourite things is seeing "unrelated" characters interact.

Hey, poor attempt or not, you still got the monorail pic which is all that matters. :thumbsup2

So happy to have two great days so far because let's just say...tomorrow is, well, a different story!!

Yep. :sad2:

You usually try to do 4 parks 1 day each trip if I recall. So I guess AK and on to Epcot could be considered practice? :)

Most definitely!! I love doing the 4 Parks in 1 Day!!

Phew. So glad this rain didn't last forever at least. At least not on this day.

Aww, that photo of Belle is great. One of my favourite things is seeing "unrelated" characters interact.

I agree! They have such wonderful reactions!

Hey, poor attempt or not, you still got the monorail pic which is all that matters. :thumbsup2

Yes!! And sometimes I have to wait forever to get one so at least this one was a no wait!!

Yep. :sad2:

Yep...and you'll hear my side of how this day went...at least someone can relate to my misery!

Hmmm - foreboding ending! I think I could make a meal of just the salad and cobbler at Garden Grill. They both look really yummy!

Your fountain pictures are pretty. Too bad you missed Illuminations, but sometimes that weather just doesn't cooperate.

Hmmm - foreboding ending! I think I could make a meal of just the salad and cobbler at Garden Grill. They both look really yummy!

Your fountain pictures are pretty. Too bad you missed Illuminations, but sometimes that weather just doesn't cooperate.

Oh yes...it is very ominous indeed!! :sad2: Garden Grill is so good. We just love it so much!

Sometimes you luck out and weather cooperates and other times, not so much!!

I know you said you're trying to crank this report out before your next trip, but it's still really good. I just found it this morning, and I'm hooked. :)

Tuesday dawned with the sunlight streaming through the trees as we walked through Alligator Bayou to the food court...

After eating breakfast, which we used a credit on,

we made our way to our first park of the day! Back to Epcot!!

We really didn't have many plans since the bulk were in FPP later in the afternoon:

At first we wandered aimlessly almost like a pendelum inside a grandfather clock...swing to the right almost to Canada...tick, tock, we are wasting time...swing to the left almost to Mexico...tick, tock, we are wasting time...a decision is made!!!

And it's on through Mexico we go...

And then a clock of a different kind began...a real clock. And thus our day was set in motion. Basically this became a day of good-byes, farewells as it was. And the first last was simple!

Inside Norway was once upon a ride known as

Within a few days of this picture, the doors were shuttered and Maelstrom was no more. Soon the land will be known forever more as Arendale, Elsa seemed to be slinging those arms all over the land we knew as Walt Disney World. She had taken over Magic Kingdom...and Hollywood Studios...and now Epcot. Only Animal Kingdom has been spared...so far! But before long...we may see polar bears and penguins entering the park and then we will know...Elsa has arrived!!

Oh, okay, so I am over exaggerating! Or am I?????

ANYWAY!!!! Back to some TRUE stories!!!

The wait time posted wasn't too terrible although in actuality it took about 30 minutes longer so the clock ticked and tocked through about 50 minutes or so. It wasn't too terrible except the two early twenty-ish girls behind us talked NON-STOP, which is fine. Yes, it is fine unless one is a CM on her day off...(and being a CM is AWESOME!!!!!!) But being the CM talking NON-STOP and basically being an EXPLAINABRAG the entire, nearly one hour is obnoxious. Every conversation began with "Being a CM means I can do ____________", Being a CM got me into _____________", Being a CM is so great because I got to _"

I got it... it is even more amazing than I thought to be a CM!!! :laughing: (NOTE: I AM NOT knocking CMs by any means, this conversation just got old!!) So again...maybe this was her first week(s) there and the newness was just still so cool... Again many reasons she started every other sentence with CM in it. So, how did I divert my attention away from the conversation??? I took lots of pictures!!! Pictures I have never really taken because we usually scoot through the area. HOWEVER, this is goodbye and I want to capture the final moments in the life of Maelstrom!!

Let's take a walk through the attraction once upon a time named "Maelstrom"

Waiting patiently:

Hidden Mickeys...

We board our Viking boat sans the CM conversation...

The TROLLS!!!!

A haunting picture...

And soon it is all over...

We actually stay to view the movie one final time and then it's over. Farewell Maelstrom...it was a fun ride while it lasted!!

So technically, this wasn't a must do every trip for us but we did enjoy it and usually would catch it if the wait was short. When Norway becomes Arendale in WORLD Showcase...ugh...can't think about it! I do have opinions on what WS should be but they do not matter, so I will "Let it go"....:rolleyes2

We exit into the store and notice the blue skies from earlier had disappeared! We duck into the eating area because a restroom is around the corner.

Rain, rain go away, I have plans for today!!!

The clouds part...and we set out:

It's Food and Wine time!! Since we are in China, the choice seems obvious!!

Mongolian Beef which was just as good as two years ago!

And Chicken Potstickers which came in two so we each had one. Another good choice!

Looking back towards Norway:

And across the lake:

South Korea was only steps away, so we decided to get something from this kiosk:

Roasted Pork Lettuce Wraps...a really great choice!!

And we continue walking in a clockwise direction around the lake:

As we enjoy this view, we also enjoy some beverages from:

I am not much of a beer drinker, but I really love the Grapefruit beer!!

Soon we find ourselves in Italy:

A selfie in Italy!!

In Italy, we try a few culinary delights...

First the ravioli, which was fine. It was basic ravioli, nothing that screamed OMG! good:

And the Chicken Marsala which I enjoyed much more than I anticipated!

We wrapped up our Food and Wine choices today at Singapore:

The choice we made here was the Mahi Mahi. This was a wonderful choice! Very light and flavorful...I apologize for the very poor picture. Keith was unrelenting on not waiting for me to take pictures!

We then decide to jump over to Hollywood Studios for a bit. This is around 1pm and while waiting for the Friendship Boat, I take pictures...my boredom buster:

Another boredome selfie (the word selfie really grates my nerves!! haha)

We only planned a short visit at DHS since we had plans at Magic Kingdom. MK was a party day for MNSSHP which we'd considered going to, but the weather forecast made us decide not to attend even though rain was iffy. But Keith/MK/rain do not mix well!

So up next...Hollywood Studios, Magic Kingdom and something unexpected!!

So much fun. Just did one of these in February with my sister. Can't wait to do it again next year.

I know you said you're trying to crank this report out before your next trip, but it's still really good. I just found it this morning, and I'm hooked. :)

:welcome: I still have a good bit to go but I'm trying! I actually have put more into each report...I've been amazed how much I remember! So happy to hear you enjoy reading along!!

So much fun. Just did one of these in February with my sister. Can't wait to do it again next year.

:welcome: They are so much fun!

Ooh I spot a Mickey waffle a.k.a. I'm happy.

FoF Fastpass??? Well done!!

Yeah, it does seem there is a little Frozen overlay in the parks doesn't it? :faint:

Oh Maelstrom we hardly knew you. As painful as a 50 minute wait would be, you just have to ride one last time. It is (was) an icon.

Aha, the first sprinkle of the day. It seems so relatively harmless now. :sad2:

I have to say, pretty gutsy to head to MGM at 1pm holding FoF fastpasses.

Ooh I spot a Mickey waffle a.k.a. I'm happy.

FoF Fastpass??? Well done!!

Yeah, it does seem there is a little Frozen overlay in the parks doesn't it? :faint:

Oh Maelstrom we hardly knew you. As painful as a 50 minute wait would be, you just have to ride one last time. It is (was) an icon.

Aha, the first sprinkle of the day. It seems so relatively harmless now. :sad2:

I have to say, pretty gutsy to head to MGM at 1pm holding FoF fastpasses.

Yes, Frozen seemed to be everywhere! Although (truly) I am making it worse-and seem like it bothered me more- than it really was! But there was no denying the Frozen presence!

Those few drops were harmless! It's Florida..."there's always a quick shower".... whatever!!!:scared:

I was so happy with that I had gotten that FoF FPP! I was very brave and had my fingers crossed I'd make it over in time!

I do have opinions on what WS should be but they do not matter, so I will "Let it go"....:rolleyes2

Bad Tinks...baaaaaad :sad2: :rotfl:

Roasted Pork Lettuce Wraps...a really great choice!!

No Kimchi dog?!?! It's one of the few items I specifically made sure to get again. But then again, I think I got EVERYTHING again! :confused3

I am not much of a beer drinker, but I really love the Grapefruit beer!!
This must be a "women that don't like beer" drink because DW doesn't like beer at all but I talked her into trying this and she actually liked it. Who knew?! :cool1:

Great update...looking forward to more.

Bad Tinks...baaaaaad :sad2: :rotfl:

HAHAHAHAHA!!! :rolleyes1

No Kimchi dog?!?! It's one of the few items I specifically made sure to get again. But then again, I think I got EVERYTHING again! :confused3

This was before I really knew about those. After I got back and started reading things, I realized it wasn't just a hot dog.....

This must be a "women that don't like beer" drink because DW doesn't like beer at all but I talked her into trying this and she actually liked it. Who knew?! :cool1:

Great update...looking forward to more.

The whole time writing that I thought about your TR and how your wife liked this beer too!

We arrive at DHS and disembark with one goal in mind. Get in, get out!! We have FPP at MK and not long to fit this in!!! Yea, we like to push the envelope a bit!

This little guy just seemed to be everywhere!!!

Well, looky who we have here!!!!

Our favorite people in Hollywoodland!!!

They were throwing money and my little kid had to jump in and grab some too!

About this time, I get this lovely message on My Disney Experience:

At this point we decided to not go to MK. If two of the three FPP were cancelled (plus rain was in the area), we felt it wasn't worth rushing there to see the parade that a little later I felt sure had been cancelled...only to find out a few weeks ago that it indeed went on...at least this is way past the fact so it didn't sting so bad on missing it! It also meant I wasn't able to hopefully meet DisneyKid4Life so I was a little bummed by that!

So to cure those blues...I did what any self-respecting Disney fan does! (At least THIS Disney fan!)

We walk to Tower of Terror and the wait time said 40 minutes and people were turning around. I, however, have been on this ride enough to know where this line goes and I could tell, it MAY BE 10 minutes. I was right! We pretty much walk straight into the lobby area.

Also, I had a hitchhiker that kept us entertained!

Disney had these fans and a promotion to take pictures of Olaf around the park and Tweet. I didn't Tweet but I did entertain myself during my short wait!

In short order, we are ushered into the library, get welcomed to "The Twilight Zone", walked through a dingy basement, get placed in a service elevator and then THIS happens:

Oh I adore this ride:

And somewhere along the way this guy gets a picture taken...I think this may have been at the ToT gift shop and the picture is for Madison but it is just here, sitting in the middle of my uploads!! hahaha

Now we are off in search of something else to do...

Maybe this again???

Nahhhhh.....

We decide to go and say farewell to another attraction that would close within days...and Olaf was there waiting in line with us!!

The BACKLOT TOUR...this attraction was on the chopping block along with several other things. Hopefully for some new, innovative, amazing attractions!!! Since this is turning into a farewell tour day, I took a lot of "final" pictures to document the ride!

They actually had this part working. At the time, a lot of people were stating this part wasn't being done often. We got lucky with an entertaining group of volunteers!!

They were very animated and the one pointing in the below picture reminded me of John Candy in his actions. So funny!!!

With the first portion over, we walk through the second portion and hearing speculations that we may not be able to do the tram part due to impending weather.

Continued in the following post

We arrive to the trams and we are in luck! We board and selfie time! Notice the wet hair!? On our way to The Backlot Tour it had begum to sprinkle...

And then we are on our way!!

And the rain was really beginning to fall...

This is a pretty silent tour isn't it?! Hmmmmm....well, here's some outside stuff!!

And then it was time for my favorite part...because, really, who doesn't love things exploding and gallons of water pouring down around you!?!?

And the backside of this awesomeness!

A spin around Lights Motors Action and the Streets of America...

Once we exit, the rain has stopped, so we decide to go to the room and dry off a bit because we were pretty damp!

We get to the bus stop and the clouds are moving away or towards us...I am directionally challenged and wasn't sure...

It was moving towards us and we get lucky and have cover at the bus stop:

Okay, I am going to just stop playing around now! We wait for the bus and it rains harder....and harder...and harder....and we get to the resort and it is pouring and the windows are fogged up. Port Orleans Riverside has 5 bus stops and we get off on the one before ours. We decide we can walk since the rain has let up. But then the torrential downpour starts again and it is pouring buckets of rain! Thunder is bouncing off of every corner and lightening is flashing...we are darting from building to building. The rain keeps coming harder and harder. And then, just as we get to a building and there aren't any "warning wet concrete" signs (AKA this sidewalk gets VERY slippery), my shoes slip, I fall and have one leg pinned backwards and one leg stretched in the other direction. I am SO lucky that when I get to the room this is all the evidence I have from the fall:

And this was 5 minutes later! I know it is hard to tell but it is just below my left knee. Once in the room, we change from our drenched clothes, Keith goes and gets ice (I was thankful I'd packed Ziploc bags!) and we listen to the thunder and lightening while watching television...for the next 4 or so hours! I mean- literally- it poured rain from about 4:30 pm until 8 pm! And really...I am not exaggerating! Here is a video:

And a few pictures:

This was unlike any passing Florida afternoon thunder storm I have ever seen!!

So now, I am laid up with ice on my knee, Ibuprofen taken, and hoping it all gets better for our night's ADR! Thankfully it was a late ADR but at this point, we were wondering if we would need a boat to get there!!

This is just a beautiful picture. I miss POR. It has been almost 5 years. Love it!! You take such pretty pictures. :)

How awesome that you got to ride Maelstrom and the Backlot tour one more time. I love your Maelstrom pictures. So nice to document it before it was gone. It was a must do for us and I will miss it.

Do you think your FP's were cancelled because of the weather? I could imagine that Mine Train might close in that type of downpour. I don't know about Splash.

That is some crazy rain! We had a day like that at AK once in 2001 when the remnants of some hurricane blew through. So sorry about your fall. OUCH!

Disney%20September%202014%20251.jpg

EVIE!!!!!!! :love:

OK, sorry, I got distracted...

I just realized that your 7DMT FP was right after mine. Of course, the result was the same. :(

Yes, the one thing that did happen was indeed the parade (thank goodness). But so sad that you never made it over to say hi. I would have been easy to spot too. I was the one on Main Street without a poncho.

Ah the benefit of a Disney vet... knowing when a wait time is not as it seems. Good call.

literally- it poured rain from about 4:30 pm until 8 pm!

I believe you. ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter