Reflective Gear and Lights

Anisum

DIS Veteran
Hey guys, I currently run when there is enough daylight out that I don't need a vest, however when winter approaches I know I'll be running in the dark simply because it gets dark earlier. I've been looking into reflective vests and other reflective gear and I was hoping for some advice on what you guys may use or recommend.

I like these:
2015_New_Reflective_Running_Vest_For_Runner.jpg_250x250.jpg

Honestly, find a place near you that sells DOT approved class II reflective mesh vets. The basic most one should do, no pockets, etc. I used these for every single run when it gets dark in the morning. The more material, the more likely cars are going to see you.

I only use one headlamp and it's from LL Bean and their stuff comes with lifetime warranties. My first one broken and they replaced it free of charge! Link is below:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/83257?feat=507967-GN2&page=trailblazer-headlamp

Ll bean's warranty isn't lifetime. Hasn't been for a long time. Tried to get them to replace two things some years back and they told me that if they were worn out then that's the lifetime and there's no warranty left. Sad. (And I tried more than once...they wouldn't even fix the items)

I like these:
2015_New_Reflective_Running_Vest_For_Runner.jpg_250x250.jpg
I've used one like this before too. It's great because it's super-reflective, but it went missing on a run last winter and I never bothered to buy a replacement (I have another vest). I also use a headlamp (TIKKKINA headlamp by PETZL) and I have a light that clips on the back of the vest (Nathan StrobeLight).

Hope this helps!

Thanks guys, I have an LL Bean store and an REI nearby so I'll look there for headlamps before price comparing because I've never really run with one. I'll look into the vests as well. I never considered a light on the back of the vest so I may pick up one of those depending on the vest I choose.

I use this vest in the winter. Not that it's anything close to fashionable but it is nowhere near as ugly as the picture either.

The red lights can be made to flash or just stay on.

My neighbors poke fun at it (me) calling it my "construction vest" but others runners have stopped me and asked where I got it and expressed interest in getting one.

You can see this thing from a good distance. I won't run in the dark/dusk without it. I like the LED lights in addition to the reflective safety material. (Active vs passive?)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016AMF9C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

upload_2015-7-28_7-31-56.png

Hey guys, I currently run when there is enough daylight out that I don't need a vest, however when winter approaches I know I'll be running in the dark simply because it gets dark earlier. I've been looking into reflective vests and other reflective gear and I was hoping for some advice on what you guys may use or recommend.

Dear Anisum,

When DH and I run at night or near dusk, we use the nathan reflective mesh vests (you secure them on via velcro) and they come on/off with no issue and don't interfere with what you're wearing. I have one in neon yellow and neon pink. If it's super dark, we also wear running head lamps. This is usually in the colder winter months (where it's dark at like 5:30pm). The lamps slide on right over our running hats and no chafing. Good luck!

I go with flashing lights I can clip on my waistband or my ArmPocket (holding my phone) over reflective vests, although I have used those in the past as well; a lot of my regular running clothes have reflective elements also. Whatever you use, though, I recommend continuing to run into traffic and never taking for granted that drivers are paying enough attention to see you all lit up and running down the road. I'm often the first to move before the late wheel jerk that tells me they only just noticed there was something in the road ahead of them.

@Castle2Castle Thanks for the advice. I usually run around the 1/2 mile strip of blocks near by house. It's in the back section of a small town so while people generally stick to the proper sides of the road some generally just go straight through the middle since there aren't dividing lines. Luckily not many people drive down there unless they live there.

@ANIM8R That vest looks intense. I'll definitely be looking into it as an option. I do like the double lights.

@prncssjas I'm still looking into head lamps since I've never used one. Thanks for the tip. Do you find that the neon yellow and neon pink vests to have the same visibility or is one better?

@Castle2Castle Thanks for the advice. I usually run around the 1/2 mile strip of blocks near by house. It's in the back section of a small town so while people generally stick to the proper sides of the road some generally just go straight through the middle since there aren't dividing lines. Luckily not many people drive down there unless they live there.

@ANIM8R That vest looks intense. I'll definitely be looking into it as an option. I do like the double lights.

@prncssjas I'm still looking into head lamps since I've never used one. Thanks for the tip. Do you find that the neon yellow and neon pink vests to have the same visibility or is one better?

Dear Anisum, yes I love my head lamp! :-) It totally works for me. And both vests work equally well, I think--I'm just a girly girl and like pink. :cutie:

I have a Black Diamond Sprinter headlamp that I love. It's comfortable, rechargeable via USB, and has a blinking 'taillight'. I got it at REI using member points.

I have a Black Diamond Sprinter headlamp that I love. It's comfortable, rechargeable via USB, and has a blinking 'taillight'. I got it at REI using member points.
I do a lot of early morning running when it's dark and use this too. Great product. The full strength setting really lights up the trail/road well. There is also a dim setting and strobe setting though I can't imagine using strobe, it would drive me nuts. The red taillight strobe is really helpful too. I don't wear any other special reflective gear other than what already is on a lot of shorts and shirts. If people can't see me with this thing on they'll never see me!

I bought for $40 through Amazon. It stopped working about 9 months ago and the manufacturer replaced it free of charge.

I do a lot of early morning running when it's dark and use this too. Great product. The full strength setting really lights up the trail/road well. There is also a dim setting and strobe setting though I can't imagine using strobe, it would drive me nuts. The red taillight strobe is really helpful too. I don't wear any other special reflective gear other than what already is on a lot of shorts and shirts. If people can't see me with this thing on they'll never see me!

I bought for $40 through Amazon. It stopped working about 9 months ago and the manufacturer replaced it free of charge.

And its great for home improvement projects!

Thanks for all the advice guys! I went and got a vest and a Nathan Strobe Light on Amazon. I went running late last night after it cooled off and they worked great. I do want to get a headlamp but I'm going to be looking into it a bit more before deciding. Quick question regarding them, does anyone wear a headlamp without a hat? I generally find hats uncomfortable to run in but I don't want the headlamp to chafe.

Thanks for all the advice guys! I went and got a vest and a Nathan Strobe Light on Amazon. I went running late last night after it cooled off and they worked great. I do want to get a headlamp but I'm going to be looking into it a bit more before deciding. Quick question regarding them, does anyone wear a headlamp without a hat? I generally find hats uncomfortable to run in but I don't want the headlamp to chafe.

I've done it but it's not super comfortable. I wear a buff most days (versatile fabric headwear) and that works well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter