Refillable Mugs Good Forever??

Tawnya

Mouseketeer
We bought refillable mugs at CBR several years ago. My daughter is going on a school trip this week. Can she take the mug and get free refills during her trip? Being a teenager she is a little nervous about being embarrassed if she can't! Thanks for any help you can give me. I guess I could just call CBR!

There doesn't seem to be any concrete answers for this questions--I posted the same thing about a month ago. Several people have had great success using their mugs from previous years. Others have felt as though the CM's working at drink stations frowned upon the idea. I have not heard of anyone actually being turned away with their mug.

I understand what you're saying about your daughter and how horrifying it would be if she ran in to trouble! :( Sorry there's nothing definite for you. Maybe calling the resort would be a good idea if she's especially timid. :)

What we did was bring the mugs with us & then we checked out the food court area they had the same pattern and type of mug we had we then brought them out and used them. There is no way of proving or knowing when you bought it. Now I do own 2 different styles from the poly one in blue and the newer one had a red top. So there is a chance of re-using. I say it is absolutely ok to do it. after all you did pay for it!

I e-mailed Disney

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the many internet discussion boards that revolve around WDW, there are many discussions concerning the reusable mug program at the resorts.

Does WDW have an official policy for the use of these mugs?

The main questions are usually:

1.) Can I use the mug purchased at ABC resort at XYZ resort.
A.) If I visit it?
B.) If I split my stay and move there for the second half?

2.) Can I bring the mug from ABC resort back with me on Subsequent trips to the ABC resort forever?

Thanks for a reply as to the official WDW policy on this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disney's reply

Thank you for contacting WALT DISNEY WORLD!

Please know that the "Souvenir Mug" program at Disney Resorts allow you to refill beverages (including hot coffee & tea) at your Resort for the length of your current stay and is for your resort only. It is not extended to refills at other Disney Resorts or Theme Parks or future visits.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Online Guest Service
WALT DISNEY WORLD
P.O. Box 10100
Lake Buena Vista FL 32830-0100

We asked a CM at DXL and they said its good for life at that resort or its sister resorts(POFQ).

CamColt,

That's correct... Just like if you ask the express lane cashier at the supermarket if you can check out there with 20 items, when the company policy says "Limit 12 items", 9 times outta 10 they'll say it's OK.

Why not just give her the $10 to buy a new mug and she won't have to worry? It is a good deal and I think that Disney is more than fair with this. I am sure that the day will come when everyone is using old mugs that Disney will stop the practice.

We used ours years ago multipule trips without anyone saying anything.....

I too have a teenager (DS) who is nerveous about being told "no" about something. What a great learning experience to show her that the worst thing they can do is say no, and it certainly is worth trying for to save $10!

I would suggest this ( i may even be doing it in Nov to my DS:p ), give her the $10 and the mug, tell her to try to use the mug, if it works great!! she can keep the $10.......i bet then she will find the courage to try and use the older mug ;) . For me, it would be worth building up my sons self confidence in dealing with the real world.

Good Luck!

Sue

For me, it would be worth building up my sons self confidence in dealing with the real world.

Maybe the confidence building would be having him ask the food court manager. If he says yes, than he doesn't have to feel he is "being sneaky", and he will feel above board about it. We've asked each time. We won't ask at the POR, because we've never stayed there before..and so we will be buying a new mug.
I ask, only because we were told when we bought it, it was good for life..however, I can read, and the sign does say (now) for length of stay, so I wouldn't feel comfortable without asking first.

Originally posted by sudiequ
I too have a teenager (DS) who is nerveous about being told "no" about something. What a great learning experience to show her that the worst thing they can do is say no, and it certainly is worth trying for to save $10!

I would suggest this ( i may even be doing it in Nov to my DS:p ), give her the $10 and the mug, tell her to try to use the mug, if it works great!! she can keep the $10.......i bet then she will find the courage to try and use the older mug ;) . For me, it would be worth building up my sons self confidence in dealing with the real world.

Good Luck!

Sue

DUDE! Just let your kid buy a mug.

Disney's policy (via WDWTrekker) is 1 mug per person/per resort/per visit.

This comes up over and over.

Let me reprint the Email WDWTrekker posted

On the many internet discussion boards that revolve around WDW, there are many discussions concerning the reusable mug program at the resorts.

Does WDW have an official policy for the use of these mugs?

The main questions are usually:

1.) Can I use the mug purchased at ABC resort at XYZ resort.
A.) If I visit it?
B.) If I split my stay and move there for the second half?

2.) Can I bring the mug from ABC resort back with me on Subsequent trips to the ABC resort forever?

Thanks for a reply as to the official WDW policy on this.

Disney's reply

Thank you for contacting WALT DISNEY WORLD!

Please know that the "Souvenir Mug" program at Disney Resorts allow you to refill beverages (including hot coffee & tea) at your Resort for the length of your current stay and is for your resort only. It is not extended to refills at other Disney Resorts or Theme Parks or future visits.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Online Guest Service
WALT DISNEY WORLD
P.O. Box 10100
Lake Buena Vista FL 32830-0100

Now we should all just agree to disagree and let it go at that.

Originally posted by Geoff_M
CamColt,

That's correct... Just like if you ask the express lane cashier at the supermarket if you can check out there with 20 items, when the company policy says "Limit 12 items", 9 times outta 10 they'll say it's OK.

I wouldnt know Geoff. I wouldnt ask to try to break the rules. If there were no number of items listed on the express lane, I would ask what the limit was, and then proceed accordingly.

BTW, I have yet to reuse a mug. The only reason I asked on my trip in 10/00 was because there was a major debate going on these boards right before I went on my trip. I wanted to come back with an answer. Maybe it has changed since then or maybe the CM was misinformed(like so many who give people that same answer seem to be).

I have an older (different style) from our first trip to DXL. I took it back two years ago and bought one of their new ones on that trip. One morning I was filling both of them and a CM stopped and told me "how great it was to see someone using one of their original mugs".

This subject always brings up a great deal of argument. Having stayed at Dixie Landings repeatedly, I know what they tell their guest there - and that is "the mug is good at this resort forever". I can't speak for other resorts. If Disney wants to enforce the policy stated above, I suggest they make all CM's at all resorts aware so that they're not giving false information to their returning customers.

As far as I'm concerned, it's not a subject worth arguing about. I have a collection of refillable mugs in my kitchen cabinet. I'm returning to DXL this fall after a two-year hiatus, and my mugs are going back with me.

CamColt,

To me the sign over the checkout lane is the same as the consistent responses from Guest Services that it's "One mug, one resort, one visit".

TwinMom7,

I understand what you're saying, but if what a CM says is the Gold Standard then we'd have to agree that:
1) They are good for life.
2) They can be used at any WDW resort.
3) They can be loaned to others.
4) They are good for one visit and only at the resort where purchased.

People have reported that CM's at one time or another have OK'ed all four usages.

"If Disney wants to enforce the policy stated above, I suggest they make all CM's at all resorts aware so that they're not giving false information to their returning customers."

Well said, TwinMom7! :) If CMs, who are in a position of authority, tell people that the actual policy is "for life", not just "yes, Ill let you get away with it today", like the express lane analogy, then why would those people think differently? It seems to me just as many people have been told the policy is they are good for life as have been told no its just for that trip. From what Ive heard, there is no "CONSISTENT" response.

CamColt,

Yes, confusion reigns on the part of the CM's. In this case you should look up the ladder for answers. Guest Relations has been CONSISTENT in their response on the subject.

So, if people wish to use the confusion of the CMs for personal gain, when they know what the policy is from the people at the top of the chain of command, and their rationalization is "Well, shame on them for not educating their employees. Their loss is my gain!"... then I guess it that's the end of that.

...I think I'll go look for some mugs on eBay.

Just a note, Im not talking about myself. As I said in an earlier post, I have never reused a mug(couldnt be bothered packing it), and I have no plans to do it in the near future. Im talking about the person who asks when purchasing the mug, like I did, but doesnt spend countless hours(like myself :rolleyes: :D )on these boards to hear conflicting reports. That person isnt going to think they should double or triple check in other places about the policy. They are going to take that CMS word for it. In which case, I feel they are following the policy...the one they were personally told.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter