>> Refillable Mug FAQ <<

Also, mugs are not deactivated on checkout. If it didn't work, it was for a different reason.
After I check out I usually continue to refill the mug until the bus arrives. I took mine with me and used it on my Disney Cruise. It came in handy big time because the cups they give you are so small.

In the past we stayed at POP Century and they had Ice Drinks that were included in the refillable mug program. Is this still the case?

In the past we stayed at POP Century and they had Ice Drinks that were included in the refillable mug program. Is this still the case?

Do you mean Icees? They haven't had those for years - I think the machine kept breaking down.

Has anyone tried a slide on handle such as what goes on a Tervis tumbler? Will a handle for the 16 ounce Tervis fit the WDW mug?

good to hear, I usually do the early morning coffee run and was able to carry 4 with handles
Maybe there is more info on this, but once again I'm confused. I read somewhere on the boards that you can not use your mug on the first nights stay? I find this totally ridiculous they keep track of how many refills you get or are allowed?!? I use to go to Disney once a year, until we moved to Florida then had annual passes. Now we are back in Pennsylvania, and so many things have changed and this one I find totally crazy and frustrating.

Maybe there is more info on this, but once again I'm confused. I read somewhere on the boards that you can not use your mug on the first nights stay? I find this totally ridiculous they keep track of how many refills you get or are allowed?!? I use to go to Disney once a year, until we moved to Florida then had annual passes. Now we are back in Pennsylvania, and so many things have changed and this one I find totally crazy and frustrating.
You can use your mug as soon as it is active. Perhaps what you read was someone with a room only stay prior to their dining package start date.

Maybe it was someone referring to when they had the tiered pricing structure for the mugs. You could get a 1-day, 2-day, 3-day, or length of stay mug. However, the "day" expired at midnight regardless of what time you purchased the mug. So if you arrived late in the day, it wasn't worth purchasing the mug for that "day" since you most likely wouldn't get your money's worth out of it. In those cases, people would wait until the next morning to purchase their mugs. But Disney no longer prices the mugs that way so it's not an issue anymore.

But are those the only 2 colors? I think that's what the previous poster meant. That is actually what I came to ask.

No, four colors. Blue, green, red, and purple. The resorts also have cardboard mug carriers with a handle in the middle (like you might be given at a McDonald's) that can hold four mugs. (You have to ask for them.)

We just got back. I find there are pros and cons to the no handle issue for me and that my thoughts have changed.

Pros:
1. no one could argue that's my cup. If it has your lid it's yours. With the colored handles the kids tended to argue who's was who when there was more than one of the same color. This time all 6 of the cups were the same they only had tops to go by.
2. I liked the way they fit in my hand without the handle.

Cons:
1. You just can't carry 6 without some help. I see people saying there are cup holders but Disney certainly isn't advertising that. For us I used my dd's collapsible lunchbox (cooler type). I was able to get all 6 mugs in the lunchbox and carry it back to the cabin. I got some crazy looks but hey it worked.

Handles vs no handles...I went into our trip firmly on the handle team. Now, not so much. I found a way around the cons for handleless for us. I think it's a good idea to look at your family and the way you use your mugs, find the cons for you then get creative.

We crocheted a mug carrier that worked great to transport multiple full mugs. I found when filling multiple mugs, we now had to fill one at a time to make sure the lid went back on the right mug (you don't want to mix up a mug that had coffee in it previously for some family members). One morning I did not bring the carrier and grabbed a cardboard container. It has a wide space in the middle (maybe for food?) but it made it awkward to carry. Every time I've been they activate the mugs when we first get there and they put them in automatically for 14 days (sometimes 21 or 28). They don't typically ask anymore when you are checking out. You can use your mug on check out day all day. If it doesn't work, go see someone. I heard lots of people complaining about the handleless mugs when there. The cashier said she'd been hearing lots of complaints. At CBR they had blue, red, purple and green.

I thought eating and drinking wasn't permitted on the buses.

All the person said was they went to "fill mug with a soft drink to take on the bus to the parks". That doesn't mean they are drinkING it on the bus. Just that they have it on the bus.

I read somewhere on the boards that you can not use your mug on the first nights stay? I find this totally ridiculous they keep track of how many refills you get or are allowed?!?

Where did you read that?

They have the limit to prevent you from filling other mugs with your mugs then going back immediately to get more. Each mug is supposed to be for ONE person. It's not supposed to be filled with liquid to give to someone else. Putting in a time limit before you refill helps to regulate that.

There's no restriction on using the mug on your first night's stay. In fact, you don't even have to be staying at a Disney resort to buy, activate and use a mug. If you're getting a complimentary mug because you're on a dining plan, you can get it activated and use it on the first day of your reservation.

There is a chip in the mug that works with a timer in the soda machine, and makes you wait a couple minutes between refills. Other beverages like coffee, you can drink as fast and as often as you can pour it. :)

Are there still rumors that the handle mugs will be coming back.

There's no restriction on using the mug on your first night's stay. In fact, you don't even have to be staying at a Disney resort to buy, activate and use a mug. If you're getting a complimentary mug because you're on a dining plan, you can get it activated and use it on the first day of your reservation.

There is a chip in the mug that works with a timer in the soda machine, and makes you wait a couple minutes between refills. Other beverages like coffee, you can drink as fast and as often as you can pour it. :)
OK I must have read somethimg wrong. Thank you

So are the only colors still blue, green, red and ?? (Can't recall 4th)? I know in the past there have been a variety of lid colors. Going in Jan to AoA. Thanks.

I stayed at Caribbean Beach about 3 weeks back and there were cardboard carriers that could hold four mugs. I liked having the handles as well, but since I've been home the handle-less mug fits a lot better in my car for my morning coffee. Pros and cons to everything I guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter