Recipe for breakfast lasagna

Daisymae26

<font color=green>I am shopping and comparing befo
I visited WDW this January 2004 and had breakfast at the crystal Palace in the magic kingdom. i was intrigued by the breakfast lasagna and forgot to ask for the recipe. so, i went online to find it, but the only recipes i could find called for layering pancakes and waffles with strawberries, blueberries, and pastry cream. the breakfast lasagna i had was almost like a cake. it was a moist batter with strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and bananas and was topped off with a custard/pudding and sliced bananas. it was baked in a square pan nad a skillet. i would really like this recipe so i can make it for my daughter's birthday next month. she really loved it! Can anyone share this new recipe? thanks.

I just received the new Disney Magazine, and it is in there! Now...that is what I call Serendipity.

I will try and get it away from the kids, and type it up later.

Patti

My DD's love it when I make this! (....If I am in a hurry, I use frozen waffles and pancakes!....)

Breakfast Lasagna
the Crystal Palace
(6 servings)

Make the pastry cream first

1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 egg yolks
1-1/2 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar

In a 2 quart saucepan, combine sugar, flour, salt and milk over medium heat
and cook stirring until mixture thickens. In a small bowl with a fork, beat
egg yolks slightly, beat small amount of milk mixture into yolks. Slowly pour
egg mixture back into milk mixture. Stirring constantly, cook over medium low
heat until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
Chill cream until ready to use.

Assembly:

6 pancakes
6 waffles
1 pound of strawberries
8 ounces of blueberries

Put a thin layer of Pastry cream in a pan, make a layer of waffles, put a
layer of pastry cream. Cut strawberries into slices. Take half the
strawberries and half the blueberries and make a layer of fruit. Top the
fruit with a layer of pancakes, then layer of pastry cream. Garnish the
lasagna with the rest of the strawberries and blueberries.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.

thanks for wrting in, but i didn't want the one with the pancakes and waffles. i was looking for a cake-like thing. i'm anxious to see what you have when you type it up. thanks for replying!

I don't have the recipe for the breakfast Lasagne, but I do have an Apple and custard Lasagne recipe, let me know if you would like it, its delicious.

just checked out the intercot site as I know that they have a recipe section and low and behold they have the breakfast lasagna recipe from crystal palace, I would have printed it out and copied it here but I have no printer at the moment. Go to www.intercot.com and do a site search for Breakfast lasagna and it should take you to the recipe - it sounds great I might even be tempted to have a go at making this myself!!

The recipe in the new Disney Magazine is slightly different from the one I'd gotten on-line previously. It seems to include all of the original ingredients plus pound cake & a custard to pour over the layers before baking. This may be what you were looking for.

Breakfast Lasagna
Crystal Palace, MK
As seen in the Disney Magazine

Pastry Cream:
¾ c sugar
¼ c flour
¼ tsp salt
1½ c milk
6 eggs yolks
1½ tsp vanilla

Custard:
2 eggs
1 c heavy cream
2/3 c half & half
1 Tbl brandy
½ tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cinnamon
½ c sugar

Casserole:
3 waffles, toasted
3 c pound cake, crumbled
2 bananas, sliced
½ c frozen raspberries
½ c frozen blueberries
4 pancakes, toasted
¼ c brown sugar

Garnish:
1 c fresh berries

Pastry Cream: Whisk sugar, flour, salt & milk in saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to thicken – 5 to 8 min. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat the egg yolks slightly. Stir a small amount of the hot milk mixture into the yolks to temper them. Then pour the egg mixture into the milk mixture. Stirring constantly, cook over medium-low heat until it thickens – 3 to 5 min. Remove from heat & stir in vanilla. Cool completely, then chill until needed.

Make custard by whisking all ingredients in a bowl until fully incorporated. Chill until needed.

Preheat the oven to 350. In a buttered 9x9 inch baking pan, layer ingredients in this order:
Waffles, ¾ cup pound cake, ½ of the banana, ¼ cup raspberries, ¼ cup blueberries, pancakes then remaining pound cake. Press down on layers to pack firmly.

Slowly add custard mix until the entire lasagna is saturated. Bake about 60 min (cook until internal temp reaches 165 degrees.) Top with pastry cream & remaining banana. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over the top. Place under the broiler until the sugar is just browned. (Watch carefully; this happens quickly.) Garnish with fresh berries.

Serves 4 to 6.

i wpuld love to get the apple and custard lasagna recipe! unfortunately, all the recipes i've come across use the pancakes and waffles instead of the cake batter. thanks for helping me out though. i'm beginning to wonder if maybe the pancakes and waffles break down into a cake like consistency? i doubt it. maybe it is a new recipe. let me know if you find any other clues...

My scanner isn't plugged in right now (& I'd have to crawl on the floor to do it) but it appears as though the missing thing was the custard. The picture in the Disney Magazine shows a "solid" block of lasagna (or cake) - not at all like you'd expect from the originally posted recipe.

Daisymae

The picture in the Disney Magazine looks like what you described. It appears "baked" with a topping of custard and fruit. From reading the recipe I'd imagine that the custard and pancakes sort of blend into "moist batter" you described.

Try it and see for yourself if this is what you remember.

sorry not to get back to you before but I have a new PC and having a few teething problems in particular clicking on things in emails, any way the recipe is as follows

1lb stewed apples (or a couple of tins)
1 pint custard (either fresh or made with powder)
dried lasagna sheets
cinnamon
brown sugar
ovenproof dish

mix the cinnamon into the apples (could add some sultana as well) and then layer the apples, custard and lasagna sheets like you would make a savoury lasagna, ending with custard, and sprinkle the top with the brown sugar. Put into a pre-heated oven at 190C/375F/gas mark 5 for approx 30 mins.

I have also made this with rhubard or plums and it works just as well, I find its best to tell my youngest DS that it is apple layer pudding as he would not eat it if it was called a lasagna.

I hope that you enjoy this as much as we do.

thanks to everyone who contributed. i think the recipe with the additional custard is what i'm looking for. also, snookhams, thanks for the apple lasagna recipe. i can't wait to try it!

My DD's love it when I make this! (....If I am in a hurry, I use frozen waffles and pancakes!....)

Breakfast Lasagna
the Crystal Palace
(6 servings)

Make the pastry cream first

1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 egg yolks
1-1/2 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar

In a 2 quart saucepan, combine sugar, flour, salt and milk over medium heat
and cook stirring until mixture thickens. In a small bowl with a fork, beat
egg yolks slightly, beat small amount of milk mixture into yolks. Slowly pour
egg mixture back into milk mixture. Stirring constantly, cook over medium low
heat until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
Chill cream until ready to use.

Assembly:

6 pancakes
6 waffles
1 pound of strawberries
8 ounces of blueberries

Put a thin layer of Pastry cream in a pan, make a layer of waffles, put a
layer of pastry cream. Cut strawberries into slices. Take half the
strawberries and half the blueberries and make a layer of fruit. Top the
fruit with a layer of pancakes, then layer of pastry cream. Garnish the
lasagna with the rest of the strawberries and blueberries.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
Wow, this is from 2004! But I lost my copy and need it for tomorrow, and just thought I'd give it a bump. We do up Thanksgiving and Christmas, but Easter is laid back and easy. Love this recipe, and so do my (now adult) kids. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter