Rechargable batteries

Kaslee

Mouseketeer
We use Ni Mh rechargables for the camera and CD player. Will our they recharge OK on the US voltage?

Thanks for any advice

Kay

Good point. I hope so but hope someone comes along to confirm it.

We have charged a camcorder battery in the past without a problem.

I had planned on taking the charger and an adapter and it never occured to me that it might not work.

Kay,
If you look on your charger it should say what voltages it is tolerable to, if it only says 220v - 250v then it may not work in the US, as my rechargable ladyshave said that and didn't wan't to work in 2001 (I didn't think to check before I went :mad: )!!! I now use one with batteries and buy them duty free or in the US.
The best bet is to make sure the charger will accept US voltage or buy a voltage adapter which I believe are quite expensive.
Hope this helps.
Claire :D

I have never had aproblem with my charger. Just take your adapter plug and plug in. It takes a bit longer to charge due to the American voltage.

As far as I know they will work on American voltage without an adapter - the problems start when people buy American electrical items to use here - we have a higher voltage than in the US.

As Gumshoe says it just takes longer to charge.

Most chargers are OK, but check that the label on yours says something like "Input: 110V-240V". The US operates on 110V, while the UK operates on 240V (the rest of Europe operates on 220V).

If an electrical item expects 240V but only is supplied with 110 it will either not operate at all, or work slowly (eg taking longer to charge batteries, or hair dryers not pumping out much hot air). However, if an item expects 110V and gets 240 it can have disastorous effects, so using US electrical equipment in the UK should be done with a large measure of caution.

Regards

Rob

Many thanks for the advice.

The charger I have says 230V So I am going to take it with me and hope for the best. If it wont work I will have to buy some 'ordinary' batteries over there.

Thanks again

Kay

The UK actually uses 230V AC at 50Hz.

If the charger is rated at 110-240V AC or a similar input voltage range you should be OK. If it is rated at 230/240V AC input only then like others have said it will charge slower.

The biggest problem I found in the US is keeping the blooming plugs in the wall sockets!
With a travel adapter fitted to the 3-pin UK plug it was very difficult to get the thing to stay in the rubbishy US wall sockets. In the end I had to use a few book to hold it in :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter