Recent visits to 50s Prime Time

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by disneydreamingdebby, Apr 5, 2012.

1. disneydreamingdebby

disneydreamingdebby DVC Member

I have read a couple of trip reports and listened to some podcasts where people stated that the Cast Members aren't "playing roles" anymore.

What was your experience the last time you were there? Also, what meal choices would you recommend or not recommend?

Thanks!:thumbsup2

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. meetmeatthepoly

meetmeatthepoly Loving Walt Disney World Since 1972

We ate at 50's last month and there were lots of shenanigans going on, including a grown man standing in the corner, our waiter telling us to "go wash our hands" and to "stay out of the kitchen."

I had the crab cake appetizer and the blue cheese wedge salad - both delicious.

My daughters shared the pot pie and really liked it!

4. starrPA

starrPA Earning My Ears

we were there in March and it was hilarious. Yes, they are still doing their "thing." LOL

5. disneydreamingdebby

disneydreamingdebby DVC Member

It's great to hear some positive stories!

Does anyone think that a "certain" attitude or behavior helps to engage the Cms?

6. TokyoDizFan

TokyoDizFan Earning My Ears

I always loved that place. Of course, the enthusiasm of your server may vary, and some are a lot better than others!

7. LGH1946

LGH1946 Mouseketeer

Put your elbows on the table. That should get you some attention! The fried chicken is GREAT and the pot roast is SO good &
    tender.. Ask for extra gravy!

8. Chelley00

Chelley00 DIS Veteran

It depends on your server. We've had 2 great ones, and one total dud. You can ask the hostess for someone " who will be mean" if you want more interaction. I did our on our last trip and she decided to change our seats so we'd have someone more into character (who fed my mom her green beans while making airplane noises!)

9. sherreis

sherreis DIS Veteran

When we ate there several years ago, we asked for a server that would be interactive when we checked in. I can't remember his name right now but he was the best. I just loved when he brough DS16 green beans with whipped cream on them for dessert because DS had not finished his green beans with his meal.

We're eating there again in June and I plan on asking for an interactive server again -- will just tell them go easy on DGD6 cause she is super sensitive.

10. 3Rouselings

3Rouselings Counting down to our third trip May 2015!

:)They were great when we were they - our server challenged us to a Disney trivia contest and when we came up with all the answers they put it on the fridge in Mom's kitchen! My kids loved that.

I had the wedge salad and pot roast and there were delicious but a bit heavy. It was a good thing that our reservation was on our way out of the park! Oh and their peanut butter and jelly milkshakes are amazing

11. TDC Nala

TDC Nala 1937, what a year that was

I don't eat inside there anymore. I eat at the bar. But the last time I was in there, they would still come out into the waiting area and scream "THE SMITH KIDS!! LUNCHTIME!!" So it does not sound like they have stopped the role-playing in there.

12. ArmandXG

ArmandXG The Great Baldini: Master of Time, Space and the I

This restaurant has been on my list for years! I am definitely going to make a ressie for our next trip:goodvibes I just hope we get a good server:laughing:

13. Best Aunt

Best Aunt "That's the best-est present ever!"

Funny, that's what I did as soon as we sat down last month. The waitress looked at me and said, "You've been here before!"

I explained that I had, but the rest of my group hadn't.

She gave my brother a VERY hard time, as I have mentioned in other posts.

14. mesaboy2

mesaboy2 If only there was a FP+ FAQ....

Went twice in the last couple of months and they are still doing their schtick--at least some of them. We had the same server both trips and he is definitely into it. On the most recent trip, he asked one of our party if she was done with her spaghetti and meatballs. He then took a meatball and did the song--at the top of his lungs and complete with meatbally reenactment--of "On Top of Spaghetti...." Last I saw that meatball it was well on its way to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.

15. minniejoy

minniejoy Earning My Ears

Just got back last night. They were up to their tricks! I had the meatloaf and didn't love it. Should of ordered something different. The desert was fantastic!!

16. arcticdisneylovers

arcticdisneylovers DIS Veteran

We ate there in February and the food was great and the portions were huge. Our "cousin" was really in her role but not too over the top which is fine with us. It was just enough that it was fun but not annoying. Though the mean and grumpy Dad at the table next to us appeared to be having a bad day and seemed to be annoyed by the shtick. But I figure if your not into it all why bother going. Our DD tends to be a bit timid but it was like the waitress could sense how far to go. DD really enjoyed it. :banana:

17. rachaelganner

rachaelganner Earning My Ears

ive never had them play roles when i have eaten there

18. mommys3

mommys3 Disney Or Bust

When I ate dinner there in September, our waiter didn't role play at all. Maybe because it was just me and my 3 year old...but I was disappointed that he didn't partake in the antics! But I did enjoy the food and atmosphere :goodvibes We will be eating there in August with the whole family...I am definitely asking for an interactive server! My kids should get a kick out of it :thumbsup2

19. LJD2143

LJD2143 DIS Veteran & DVC Member

Love, love, love the Blue Cheese Wedge Salad! :lovestruc
    Just the other day I was considering making an ADR for Sept - and thought I could order the Wedge and the Crab Cakes as my meal!!:goodvibes

During our last visit there in February, I had to spend some time on my iPhone answering work emails. At first I got a warning, then I had my phone taken away by our server!:rotfl:

20. csmommy

csmommy <font color=purple>DIS Veteran<br><font color=red>

How does it compare to Whispering Canyon. That place is really funny!

21. briandunne

briandunne Earning My Ears

Put away the walkie-talkie!

They wre still doing it the forst week of March past.
    The fried chicken and milk shakes are still great!

Ask for the P. B & J milkshake. I love the stuff you learn to ask for that's not on the menu. Thanks DISboards!

I wonder if there's a thread for such secret 'off-the-menu' gems.