Recent Miami cruisers... Where are you?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by moomy-san, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Mjasp

Mjasp DIS Veteran

OK Should I panic or not. We have an 11 am flight out of Miami, Will we make it? I'm really panicking. I've taken a 10:30 out of Orlando on previous cruises, but I'm very concerned about Miami.

How far is the airport and is it crazy chaotic to get off at 7:15?

Is it insane to try to roll your own luggage off, meaning is there room in the hallway?

HELLLLPPPPP, please!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. moomy-san

moomy-san I'd rather be in O'Gills.

I can't help you with the flight question, as we have never had reason to hurry off the ship, but from what I can tell online, the airport is @30 minutes away with traffic.
    And we kept our luggage with us last cruise no problem at all. We had 4 large suitcases and 4 large suitcase carry on bags, plus purse and large camera/laptop bag. It wasn't fun, but it sure was convenient!

4. llachance

llachance Mouseketeer

on a Disney cruise but have with other cruiselines. I can agree that there are plenty of cabs waiting and there is a set charge (seems like we paid 30.00 including tip a week ago). There were plenty of folks hawking shuttle trips at 10.00 per person, still chose the cab because we could leave right away.

Once we got to the airport however it was a complete disaster. Left the ship at 8:30 and got in line to check in at 9:15 (line up for cars up to the curb were wild) Then, inside to the first class check in line and waited about 35 minutes to get bags checked in - wanted to stand by for an earlier flight but were told they were oversold (our bags went early we didn't as they were at the airport when we made it home). Next security. My husband and I are both signed up for TSA Pre-check. I was able to walk right through, he on the other hand spent another 30 minutes getting through TSA - and this is what have traditionally seen in Miami when that many cruise ships come in ...on January 6th there were 6 I think.

We had taken our own bags off (we were on NCL and had the option) we would have been to the airport a bit earlier (since we had gone through customs in St Thomas the agents in Miami basically said how was your trip and collected our forms) but I think the chaos would have been the same.

I do know others have said it wasn't that bad but this has been my experience every single time and I am a frequent cruiser.

5. Mjasp

Mjasp DIS Veteran

My only hope is that we get back on a Thursday. So hopefully not that many ships coming in, but you have the business travelers. Ugh, what was I thinking lol

6. candle817

candle817 Earning My Ears

Can anyone who has sailed from Miami tell me how the seas were? Rough or smooth? Never cruised in January but we have in November (rough) and summer (only rough time there was a storm brewing). Just curious how it is this time of year. We cruise in 27 days on our first DCL!!! Thanks!