Really no benefit to stay "on Property" anymore

We would never even consider staying off-site! It wouldn't feel like a real Disney Vacation to us. There are the obvious perks like Magical Express, dining plan, EMH, free transportation, etc. But even if all those went away, we still want to be in the middle of the Magic.

The total immersion and isolation from the "real world" is the best part of going to Disney :goodvibes If we had to leave it every night, it just wouldn't be the same. In fact, it wouldn't feel like it was worth it at all. I'd rather spend more, or stay less, and have a vacation that truly feels Magical.

The total immersion and isolation from the "real world" is the best part of going to Disney :goodvibes If we had to leave it every night, it just wouldn't be the same. In fact, it wouldn't feel like it was worth it at all. I'd rather spend more, or stay less, and have a vacation that truly feels Magical.

Totally agree! The Magic is the best WDW "perk" of all! :wizard:

DH drives in heavy traffic everyday.. Not having to to drive anywhere HUGE perk for us!

While I do not drive in heavy traffic (LOL!) I live very rural. 45 minutes to "real" stores--7 miles to the nearest gas station and during farmers market months, I drive 3 hours round trip 3x/week.

When I get to WDW I don't WANT to drive!! :laughing:

Yes, I agree w/OP that room rates are getting out of hand--even the value resorts!! Or maybe I should say "especially the value resorts." Rack rates of $130+ per night are just absurd.

We never go in the summer and have small kids right now so late night EMH don't affect us immediately. I have priced it out and all hotels are expensive in Orlando. With all the added fees and hassle, I have found onsite to be pretty comparable to offsite with the #1 added perk of proximity. Since we go off-season we get great discounts and stay at Beach Club and walk to two parks. Can't get that anywhere else!:goodvibes I feel it is worth a little more $ for that.

We get the free Dining Plan and receive around £2000 worth of food for the five of us over a ten night stay. We love meals out and Disney is a pretty good value way to do it when free dining is offered- such a treat! We'd never pay for it, but yes, free dining is free. We don't pay a fortune for our room and still get it. It's a huge perk. We wouldn't go to WDW without it probably.

We love EMHs so are sad to see them being cut. You feel like a VIP getting let into a 'closed' park!

The ambiance of Disney resorts is amazing and another reason we stay onsite. I don't think we'd ever go to Disney and stay offsite.

We don't really use Disney transportation- we rent a car as it is apparently quicker although I have never compared it. Is the transport even that great when you have to get to another resort for an ADR? It seems like kind of hassle to me. Never tried it though so shall try it out next trip.

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We always stay onsite at Port Orleans Riverside for the most part because we love it there. While I love it, I can see how staying off site would be nice.

Since we drive to the parks for the most part because eDH hates the smelly buses and people right on top of you, we wouldn't be missing anything there.

I do enjoy the food court so that would be a negative but if we are staying in a large condo with a full kitchen the food court would not be missed near as much.

We do laundry on vacation so staying off site with a washer & dryer in the condo would be a big plus for me.

Lastly, when I say stay off site, I mean staying at Bonnet Creek which is right next door to Carribean Beach Resort. I love the location because its on Disney property. I would not like to stay out side of the Disney gates. I can get a huge place for a fraction of what we pay at POR.

We have not stayed there yet, but I am planning to on our next trip unless we get one heck of a deal from Disney. The way I look at it is just do what makes you and your family happy. ;)

WEDWDW said:
I can't believe no one has mentioned the MOST amazing perk of staying on property:

STACEY!!!!!!!!!!;):)

Ok I can live with out Stacy, but some like her...(I assume men mostly)

However I do enjoy turning on a TV every morning a finding that channel that only plays old Mickey cartoons!
I feel like I'm 6 again every time I hear the lead in music with the big Mickey head!

DD about fainted when she turned on the Tv the 1st we went..
She couldn't believe there were no commercials. :yay:

I like just the simple perk of knowing everything is paid for in advance, my food, room, park tickets, parking. I like not having to worry about hidden fees and taxes like happens most of the time when checking in to a property offsite.

EMH are okay but how many of us really stayed the full 3 hours after the park closed? That's probably on of the many reasons they were cut back to 2.

I disagree for now at least. We'll see what evolves in the coming months and years.

I totally agree, I definitely believe something big will come for those that say at Disney resorts.

To the OP: why do you feel that way?

Everybody is different, which always makes it interesting to read the boards. :)

We decided to rent a 3 bedroom condo for our first stay which is just south of Disney. We have two small kids and proper sleep and rest is the biggest priority for us. I could not guarantee that if we were all in one tiny motel size room. Plus I was able to book an extra day and still come out cheaper versus staying onsite.

I will report back how our experience was after we go, but I still think we will 'feel the magic', especially when properly rested! :)

When I enter the WDW arch on my first day, I am in that Disney vacation atmosphere until I go under that arch again 7, 8 or so days later. It is a marvelous cocoon they have created for their guests.

I have been to Disney many times. As a child, my family always stayed off-site. My husband and I made 2 visits before kids and stayed off-site. With the great deals of 2010, the whole family and my DBIL & DS all stayed together on-site. WOW. We had no idea what we were missing. I had to twist my DH's arm to take the kids in 2010. Now, he can't wait to go on our next Disney trip as long as we stay on-site. The difference in hotel staff is amazing. The immersion in Disney totally makes the trip. Plus, we live in a rural area where we have to drive to everything. It is a definite perk to have someone else to the driving for us. I even have a hard time contemplating trips anywhere else but Disney now. You just can't get that experience at outside hotels. On-site costs more because it is worth more. There are a lot of "invisible" perks to staying on property. It isn't just the overt ones like EMH and booking ADRs at the 180+10.

I respectfully disagree. There are still plenty of perks for staying on site: Magical Express, EMH, easy (free!) bus/monorail/boat transportation to and from the parks, free package delivery to the resort when you purchase items at gift shops, free parking at the parks ... the list goes on and on. Because of Magical Express and the transportation system at WDW, there's no need to rent a car - that's a huge perk for me!

I stayed off-site once and I found it to be a big pain. Sure, you can probably get a bigger room for less money, but I like to be immersed in the whole WDW experience, and love staying on-site. There's nothing like the "Disney bubble!"

I have stayed both ways and for me I love offsite more due to the fact I am completely in control. Having the car gives me complete freedom from bus schedules and makes park hoping or dinning at whatever restaurant I choose very easy. Plus if you like to shop there are sooo many great designer outlet malls close by WDW it is insane!! Beside 95% of my awake time in WDW I am on the go. So the room is not so important. We stay at nice offsite hotels or condos and I like having room to spread out if needed. There is no correct answer to is onsite better/worse because everyone likes what they like and that is fine.

When I enter the WDW arch on my first day, I am in that Disney vacation atmosphere until I go under that arch again 7, 8 or so days later. It is a marvelous cocoon they have created for their guests.

Well said.:)

The Resorts are "part" OF Disney World to me,just like the Parks.:)

We stay onsite or at the Swolphin due to convenience once we get there, but we don't take advantage of all the perks.

ME is a no go, my DH did it ONCE and was FAR too impatient for it. He was mad by the time we boarded the bus "because we could have been there already" if we had a car service get us. But the ablity to walk to Epcot or the MK (our faves are the Swan and CR) for us is priceless. We don't do DDP either as it doesn't suit how we eat. We love the late EMH, but if they go, we will still continue to stay onsite or onsiteish in the case of the Swolphin because our trip is so much easier that way. We travel a lot for both business and pleasure and WDW is our easiest trip, short flight, cab to the hotel and then WDW transport or cabs depending on where we are going and we just don't have to worry about anything. That fact alone will still drive a lot of people onsite. And some people love the WDW "magic" again, for us, those aren't factors, but the ease of use being on property is very significant.

We stayed at Epcot or monorail resorts the entire time I grew up for our annual WDW trip, so that may influence me:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter