Really no benefit to stay "on Property" anymore

4kids4karen said:
Mine is the opposite. I am a speed walker. Plus we can go directly to our next destination.

Us too! Many times we beat the parking lot tram because we refuse to wait for it! We walk fast and have no problems. We take wdw buses to MK and sometimes we'll hop a bus for a misc reason, but for the most part we drive.

Except for families like mine that are use to be spontaneous. I find relying on transportation (other than my own vehicle) to be bothersome. I hate being stuck to someone else's schedule. So if we wanted to leave a park and drive somewhere for ice cream, we have to wait for the bus, then go back to the resort to get our car. Our very first trip we used disney transportation and didn't like it. DD had her stroller then and all six of us trying to get on the bus and people cutting off DH trying to get on with the stroller was really a pain. DH would rather wait for the next bus thinking he would be first on, but again people would cut him off when he was trying to be polite. It's a mad rush, free-for-all to get on the bus. No one follows a line.

Wow...I've never seen that happen. If I had been your dh, I would have just stepped aside and said I would be waiting for the next bus, and allow the other passengers to board. And as soon as that bus left, I would have moved right back into line, in front. The stroller would have been folded up, everyone would have been ready to board. No one would have shoved in front of us!!
I just can't imagine how annoying that must have been. It should never be a free-for-all at the bus stop...that's what the roped off lines are for.

I disagree for now at least. We'll see what evolves in the coming months and years.

I agree with you for the moment. If EMH is removed and I suspect that it will be in the coming years, there will be no one perk to benefit staying on property. Having DME would not be worth the hundreds more to stay onsite. You might have to rent a car but at least having your own car is easier to get to three of the parks. MK will take you longer but at least no more waiting for a bus.

It will be interesting to see what happens 'when' (if) EMHs are discontined. I'm not at all sure that it will mean fewer people staying onsite. I stay onsite (have never, ever stayed offsite) and I don't usually go to EMHs!
But, what will happen if people start leaving WDW resorts and begin to stay offsite?? Better discounts for those that choose to stay onsite. I would be happy with that.
I have to wonder if parking fees will go up if Disney sees more people staying offsite and driving themselves to the parks.

The great thing is, there's something for everyone and if it doesn't suit you, there's always "off property". For us, we'll never stay off property. I've done it once and hated it. For us, we like to be immersed in the whole Disney experience. It's part of going to Disney. Now, everyone views it differently... but we don't venture out or eat out past Disney, nor do we go to Universal or Sea World. If we did, maybe that's another story.

But I love that you can check in and not worry about transportation or anything for a week. It's wonderful.:cloud9:

Wow...I've never seen that happen. If I had been your dh, I would have just stepped aside and said I would be waiting for the next bus, and allow the other passengers to board. And as soon as that bus left, I would have moved right back into line, in front. The stroller would have been folded up, everyone would have been ready to board. No one would have shoved in front of us!!
I just can't imagine how annoying that must have been. It should never be a free-for-all at the bus stop...that's what the roped off lines are for.

They don't have those at the deluxe resorts, though. I don't know if they think people with more money are better behaved or what. My favorite bus experiences have been at the value. I like the orderly queue at the bus depots at those resorts. My worst bus experience was at the Beach Club. Complete chaos. We were one of the first families there (must have just missed a bus) and dozen of people came up to the bus stop after us. When the MK bus finally arrived 25 minutes later people pushed and shoved in front of us to get on. We barely got on as a family. Ugh!

They don't have those at the deluxe resorts, though. I don't know if they think people with more money are better behaved or what. Ugh!

That poster was talking about their experiences going back to their resort. All resorts have queues going back to the resort.

If you are staying at a moderate or deluxe resort, there are no queues going to the parks. But they do have shaded benches, which I like better than standing out in the sun in line, waiting for a bus to come. However if you are sitting on a bench you are not in line, and have to somehow join the group getting on the bus. If it is important to get on the next bus first, you need to stand by the curb. Some people will do that and form a bit of a line.

It will be interesting to see what happens 'when' (if) EMHs are discontined. I'm not at all sure that it will mean fewer people staying onsite. I stay onsite (have never, ever stayed offsite) and I don't usually go to EMHs!
But, what will happen if people start leaving WDW resorts and begin to stay offsite?? Better discounts for those that choose to stay onsite. I would be happy with that.
I have to wonder if parking fees will go up if Disney sees more people staying offsite and driving themselves to the parks.

You always have an interesting take on everything. I agree. If only more people would be disappointed with staying on property! Then there would be better pricing and availability for those of us that like staying on property.

I actually have stayed off property a few times and always miss and pine for being on property. (Stayed off when young, no money, and no idea what staying on property involved. Also stayed off for different trips where DH or I had work conferences.) I think that occasionally staying off property makes me appreciate being on property all the more. (Did it in October of 2012 and so I won't need to stay off for another 10 years or so.)

THE 2 Biggest perks are ..no renting cars..no worries about luggage if flying, IT was nice getting on ME having someone else drive us and not worry about going and waiting for luggage in the airport. and Disney transportation. Now its cheaper to stay off site for sure. But to each his own, i do both depending on my financial situation for the trip.

IMO EMH is being eliminated "for now".

Then low and behold a couple years down the road-you can pay an additional $19.99 for EE and your wrist band will let you in.

Or for $29.99 you can stay a few hours after closing and your wrist band will light up the Mickey, allowing you on attractions after hours.

Or if you buy DVC, or stay Deluxe, or something along this line-again IMO.

THE 2 Biggest perks are ..no renting cars..no worries about luggage if flying, IT was nice getting on ME having someone else drive us and not worry about going and waiting for luggage in the airport. and Disney transportation. Now its cheaper to stay off site for sure. But to each his own, i do both depending on my financial situation for the trip.

Also the biggest perk for us is time. Being in our room 5 minutes after Wishes (BLT) or after Illuminations (BCV), or leaving our room 10 minutes before we our ADR or FP+ in EPCOT, or for breaks back at the room etc.

Also the biggest perk for us is time. Being in our room 5 minutes after Wishes (BLT) or after Illuminations (BCV), or leaving our room 10 minutes before we our ADR or FP+ in EPCOT, or for breaks back at the room etc.

That's probably reason #1 for our family as well. That and the feeling of being immersed in Disney while at the resort. I know some people may be Disney Overloaded by the end of the day or mid-vacation but we really like and appreciatge the experience.

IMO EMH is being eliminated "for now".

Then low and behold a couple years down the road-you can pay an additional $19.99 for EE and your wrist band will let you in.

Or for $29.99 you can stay a few hours after closing and your wrist band will light up the Mickey, allowing you on attractions after hours.

Or if you buy DVC, or stay Deluxe, or something along this line-again IMO.

This would not surprise me at all.

They really need to tread lightly though. Once things tip people in favor of staying offsite and they have cars, they'll realize there are much cheaper restaurants close by. And it will be much easier to to add that day at Universal or Sea World.

I really think one of the smartest marketing moves Disney has done is getting people to stay on sit without cars, allowing them to capture close to 100% of the vacation dollar.

I happily stay onsite. I don't want that to change. But as prices go up (are value resorts really over $200 right now? :scared1:) I'm not immune to the temptation of cheaper lodging elsewhere. And once I get a car.... well.......

I guess it's sort of like the book "If you give a mouse a cookie....." Only we'll call this book "If you give a guest of the Mouse a car......"

This would not surprise me at all.

They really need to tread lightly though. Once things tip people in favor of staying offsite and they have cars, they'll realize there are much cheaper restaurants close by. And it will be much easier to to add that day at Universal or Sea World.

I really think one of the smartest marketing moves Disney has done is getting people to stay on sit without cars, allowing them to capture close to 100% of the vacation dollar.

I happily stay onsite. I don't want that to change. But as prices go up (are value resorts really over $200 right now? :scared1:) I'm not immune to the temptation of cheaper lodging elsewhere. And once I get a car.... well.......

I guess it's sort of like the book "If you give a mouse a cookie....." Only we'll call this book "If you give a guest of the Mouse a car......"

Agree-I think it will be a blend of charging somehow, and enticing onsite stays as well. They could also "allow" onsite guests to pick FP+ from "both" categories of attractions, give extra FP+ to Deluxe/DVC, maybe EMH will be no additional charge to onsite, but billable to offsite.

It all hinges on how the whole thing is working once its live IMO.

By the way we just paid $78 for an Allstar arrival night last month.

By the way we just paid $78 for an Allstar arrival night last month.

I think the $200 value rate was over Easter at peak pricing. Still, that's just nuts. I priced a Little Mermaid room in early June for 1 night and it was $166. I had considered a weekend night and it was $194.

They don't have those at the deluxe resorts, though. I don't know if they think people with more money are better behaved or what. My favorite bus experiences have been at the value. I like the orderly queue at the bus depots at those resorts. My worst bus experience was at the Beach Club. Complete chaos. We were one of the first families there (must have just missed a bus) and dozen of people came up to the bus stop after us. When the MK bus finally arrived 25 minutes later people pushed and shoved in front of us to get on. We barely got on as a family. Ugh!

On my first trip to WDW as an adult with my ex and her kids we encountered some of the rudest people ever. We went to MK and parked in the lot (we stayed off-site and had driven our own car) and went to get on the tram to get to MK. People were pushing and shoving and two other dads nearly got into a fist fight about it! A woman with a stroller got knocked down by another family. It was chaos. We just stepped back and let the crazy people go. Later that day in the park there was a fight because a guy tried to cut his family of 6 in front of the line to see Mickey. I was amazed at the gall of some of the guests.

Thankfully we haven't seen anything like that since. In my return trips pretty much everyone we've encountered has been pleasant and courteous.

I think the $200 value rate was over Easter at peak pricing. Still, that's just nuts. I priced a Little Mermaid room in early June for 1 night and it was $166. I had considered a weekend night and it was $194.

Yea that is a lot-we also had a BW Inn room for $278, to go along with a BCV studio and BWV studio that week. First stay there-it was very nice and the beds were incredible.

Time of year can make a big difference.

June 2 I get Allstars for $109, Car Beach $196 and Yacht Club $341

June 18 Allstars $113 Car Beach $157 Yacht Club $286

Yea that is a lot-we also had a BW Inn room for $278, to go along with a BCV studio and BWV studio that week. First stay there-it was very nice and the beds were incredible.

Time of year can make a big difference.

June 2 I get Allstars for $109, Car Beach $196 and Yacht Club $341

Yep, just one of many reasons to avoid peak season.

We ended up reserving our 2 night stay at the Pop. It was part of the room discount deal and ended up $127/night. We're used to value season prices, but didn't have much choice on these dates. I'm just glad I avoided the weekend pricing. This is just a bonus stop on our way back from the beach. Since we're only doing 1 evening EMH as our entire park visit, we had to be on-site.

Without EMH, we probably would have just flown out of Ft. Myer near where we're spending the preceding week. Disney would have completely lost out on 2 single day park tickets, 2 nights onsite, 2 character meals, and some shopping at DTD.

Yep, just one of many reasons to avoid peak season.

We ended up reserving our 2 night stay at the Pop. It was part of the room discount deal and ended up $127/night. We're used to value season prices, but didn't have much choice on these dates. I'm just glad I avoided the weekend pricing. This is just a bonus stop on our way back from the beach.

We are all for bonus stays-that's a pretty good price and we would for sure do that over off site. Keep an eye on Swan/Dolphin-its often around $175 (AAA) and a killer location. We grabbed that a couple nights as well for the kids-bad planning meant take what we can get.

e1ffaa3a-0322-40d9-9130-464bfce81e9b.jpg

d1c90242-6e38-457e-9962-ef3e4a4c8903.jpg

9fd8e65f-a85f-4f62-a80f-858330bc8395.jpg

b1ae7eb7-4a6a-4758-8db5-49a45d2dd75e.jpg

We are all for bonus stays-that's a pretty good price and we would for sure do that over off site.

It was the only way I could visit a theme park in the summer..... as a vampire. :rotfl: We'll go in around 4 and stay until 1. I'm really going to miss that 3rd EMH hour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter