Really embarrassing newbie lens question

ottawa-newbie

Mouseketeer
:blush:

Ok, so I'm new to this dSLR thing - I've been using my kit lens with my Nikon D40, but am looking to purchase a prime lens (and eventually getting rid of the kit lens, which is not a VR lens)

So, my really dumb question is... (I'm almost too embarrassed to ask it!)
"AF-S 35mm F1.8 DX prime"

... do you pronounce this as it sounds phonetically, or is there some other way that non-newbies say this???

Sigh, thanks for reading :blush:

First, I wouldn't get rid of the kit lens just yet if it's the only one you have besides the 35mm prime. You will probably like having the wider end (18mm) and longer end (55mm) of the kit lens.

Second, don't even worry about the "DX prime" part of the end of the name. If you are going into a store, you can just tell them that you want the new Nikon 35 millimeter f/1.8 AF-S lens.

If you were still interested in pronouncing the rest of the name, it would be:

"Ay-Efff-Ess Thirty Five Millimeter Eff One Point Eight Dee Ex Prime"---now that I spell it out like that, I think it sounds more confusing than the official lens name in your first post! :rotfl:

Not embarrassing - you'll be fine. I second Anne, don't dump your kit lens yet. Most of us have more than a few lenses, and some of still have our kit lenses.

When I went out to buy a lens form a local camera store, I wrote down the name of the lens on a piece of paper, and handed it to the guy helping me. Yes, I really truly did. I had no clue how to say the names of pretty much anything I was looking at, so I would write it down, and when the salesman repeated it back to me, then I knew how to say it too.

The 35mm is a nice little lens for the price BTW. ;)

Ah, thanks everyone:thumbsup2
As for my kit lens, I may have to get it repaired, as I took it into the Amazon Jungle with me and it doesn't seem to be working too well at the the moment.
I'd really rather not get rid of it, but I need something a little more reliable.

Trust me if you go to a store and ask for the new nikon 35 millimeter 1.8, they will know what you want!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter