Really bad family names

Azzielear Mirantha (Azzie) her choices for her children's names were "creative" too

Wilmoth Vashtigera (named after both of her grandmothers) and her sister
Omenia Hamilton

Azzielear's sister in law was Louisiana Masoline (Lucy)

My grandmother was Elsie Lavina. My mom wanted to name me Lavina after her. THANK GOD someone intervened! My grandfather was Nevin.

In doing geneology I think the worst one I came across was Festus. Who would name a sweet little baby FESTUS?!?!?!

Festus was also the name of a character in the old TV show Gunsmoke.

My maternal granny: Mildred Guertrude

Now my dad's name is: Alvern. We think our grandmother made that name up.

My grandmother had an aunt named Zephyr. I think her grandfather's name was Matlock. When my sister was pregnant with her last child, I went through the family history and wrote down all the funny names for her. Unfortunately, she didn't pick any of them!

Btw, there are several Parmelias in my day's ancestry, too!

Maternal grandparents - Emelda and Antoine
Paternal grandparents - Odum and Beulah( best grandmother ever)

Husband's maternal- Ouida Mae

Others- Ozema, Clothilde, Ida, Armand, Alberta, Lasseigne, Didier

My father's maternal grandparents were Nellie Mable and Ellsworth Eldewaine...seriously, how much worse can it get....:rotfl2:

wow... my fil's middle name is Ellsworth. Its tradition to name your first son the fils middle name in his family. That did NOT happen... No way, no how! :scared1:

Ellsworth must have been popular at one time. My great-great grandfather was Ellsworth Elwood and his son was Ellsworth Elwood Jr.

My grandfather's family is from Italy. His name is Michael Angelo P_____. His uncle was named Amerigo Vespucci P______.

My grandfather had 2 sisters who lucked out with typical American names. One is Henrietta. The other is Ina. Both very uncommon nowadays. My mother came thisclose to naming me Henrietta. Eek!

Fun thread!

My Grandma, born and raised in the Kentucky hills, named her five kids Coretta, Kerry, Tracy, Luster, and Yolonda. Only one of them is a girl. Yeah. My poor Dad and uncles!

My Great Great Grandmother's name was Texana Mentoria. Personally, I really love it, but I know a lot of people think its a little too.... unique. Haha! Well, I happen to love unique! :)

Fun thread!

My Grandma, born and raised in the Kentucky hills, named her five kids Coretta, Kerry, Tracy, Luster, and Yolonda. Only one of them is a girl. Yeah. My poor Dad and uncles!

Okay, you can't leave us hanging, which one is the girl?

As for my family, my great-aunt was Lydia Hobeart, called Hobeart? And my uncle's wife's middle name is also Hobeart. Also have a great aunt whose first name was James, but went by her middle, which was a normal girl name.

I've had an Esther Arlene (she went by Arlene) and several Fannies in my mother's side of the family.

If you go back far enough, I have a male ancestor named Artemis. Oh, and there's a Freelove in there somewhere, too.

I have a cousin who named her daughter Zella and her niece's name is Bella. Zella is a family name, but I never would name my child that. My niece has a pretty unique middle name, Vaisya, and literally there is only one person in the world with her name...aka her.

I wish I knew the names on my dad's side as they would be more English and Irish. On my mom's side we just have very traditional italian names. My grandmother's real name was Anunnziata, but she went by Nora. If I have a little girl I want to incorporate Nora into her name.

My great great grandmother's name was Rosario. I fought with my mom endlessly about this, telling her it had to be Rosaria with and A at the end because the o made it masculine. I did ancestry.com and my mom was right. It was Rosario. Other italian names we have are Pepito, and Terigio.

The only thing weird in my family is that people went by completely different names than their given names. Madeline went by Lily, Carmela went by Millie, Vincenzo went by James. The list goes on!

I've been into genealogy for a few years now, and it's interesting to look back at some of the names my ancestors used. One set of parents named their kids after states and countries--Texas, America, etc.

And one of my poor great-grandfathers was named Nimrod. How'd you like to be a kid named Nimrod? I bet recess was a lot of fun for him.

My brother and I were named after our grandparents. Dorothy and Dude. When we were little, they called us Little Dot and Little Dud! Torture as a kid, but I love our names now!!

Fun thread!

Okay, you can't leave us hanging, which one is the girl?.

Yolonda, they called her Lonnie. :)

So, yes, I have an Uncle Coretta. Rumor has it he legally changed it to Robert but everyone in the family still calls him Retty. I adore my grandmother but, man, she chose terrible names for her children!

Various random names in our family
Josephine Delila
O.C. (yep, that's it. It doesn't stand for anything--just two letters)
Shawn Marie (that's a girl)
Gladys Joy
Lillian

My maternal grandparents were:

Mildred Rebecca
Clyde Francis

Paternal grandparents- both from Denmark:

Ingabor(grandmother)
Jorgen(pronounced Yorgen- grandfather)

Grandfather's name James Lovic lastname. He went by Lovic. ??? May have been because the last name was so common there were a lot of James' with the same last name. But where in the world did they come up with Lovic??? His parents were Oscar and Anna. His brother was Lester who married Everette- pronounced Ever-eat.

My grandmother had a sister named Pernie. Not short for anything. Why she got that name when the others were Ruby, Maggie, David, etc I'll never know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter