"Ready Are You?" - Maintaining Rebel Challenge Legacy - A Continuous Journal - Update 5/29

Congrats! I am pumped because I got registered too! My first race, my first half, my first runDisney (of many to come as I hear they're addicting). I really would love to do the challenge but I was afraid it would be too much?! Very exciting!!

Congrats on getting registered as well! Such a great race to pick as your first race/half/runDisney! It can become very addicting. Smart move not doing a challenge for your first half (I did that - and I kinda regret doing it)

March Training Updates

Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 6.18.28 PM.png

This month has been odd overall. My gym has completely screwed up my classes and teachers. The only class I’ve been keeping up with regularly now is my 60 minute yoga body sculpt on Tuesdays. The schedule changed on March 28th and they got rid of my favorite class. I’m really debating on quitting my gym. I can run outside. The teacher I like has a weekly beach class on Wednesday evenings at $50 for 10 classes which would last me 2.5 months - so basically the same as my monthly gym membership. The first class I went to went well - it even had wine! I may end up liking that a lot if thats a regular thing there!

Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 6.21.12 PM.png

Twice in the past month, I've been utterly flabbergasted by people. The first was when I was doing a short maintenance run and this lady told me "Good for trying" on the 2nd. On the 22nd, picking up dinner from Tropical Smoothie after yoga still carrying my mat, another elderly lady asked if I took yoga around here. I said yes, I go every Tuesday. She proceeded to state that yoga is too hard until you lose weight. I just looked at her like she was a crazy person and replied, "I've been going for a year" and walked away. Way to kill my awesome mood about getting into a forearm stand during class. It reminds me why I hate people. I try not to let it bother me but I can’t help but think about it all internally which sucks.

So monthly mileage:

March Mileage: 40.82 Miles
2016 Mileage: 136.38 Miles​

First of all...how completely terrible for perfect strangers to make such a rude comments to you. People can be so terrible. I'm sure it was hard in the moment but I hope you have since shaken it off and know you are way more awesome than they could dream of being.

It sucks that your gym schedule has changed. I admire your cross training. I am really, really trying to add that back in to my routine. With all this training it's hard to find the time for exercise that isn't running!

I think you're awesome and I don't even know you! You're trip reports are so inspiring. I'm looking forward to someday having as many races as you have completed! Way to go! People are such jerks but you can't fix stupid! You go girl!

Yoga on the beach looks amazing! I wish I had a neat organized calendar like yours. Well, I kinda do... I'm doing the 21 day fix plan. I started a second go this week. My March run total is 51miles! I can't even believe what I've accomplished in one month! I signed up for a 10K next weekend so I'm pumped for that. The support from this board is so uplifting!

Good grief people are annoying. Good job on the forearm stand!

First of all...how completely terrible for perfect strangers to make such a rude comments to you. People can be so terrible. I'm sure it was hard in the moment but I hope you have since shaken it off and know you are way more awesome than they could dream of being.

It sucks that your gym schedule has changed. I admire your cross training. I am really, really trying to add that back in to my routine. With all this training it's hard to find the time for exercise that isn't running!

People can be terrible! I have shaken it off most days!

I feel I don't really do enough cross-training although the yoga is important to me! I've taken a full week off exercise since coming home from Dark Side and I think I miss the yoga more than the running this week but I know I need to let myself heal based on what I felt like on Monday morning.

I think you're awesome and I don't even know you! You're trip reports are so inspiring. I'm looking forward to someday having as many races as you have completed! Way to go! People are such jerks but you can't fix stupid! You go girl!

Yoga on the beach looks amazing! I wish I had a neat organized calendar like yours. Well, I kinda do... I'm doing the 21 day fix plan. I started a second go this week. My March run total is 51miles! I can't even believe what I've accomplished in one month! I signed up for a 10K next weekend so I'm pumped for that. The support from this board is so uplifting!

That calendar is really just a google document I made for myself to keep track of it all! Nothing really special. That is great you ran 51 miles in March! So proud of you! How did your first 10K go?

Good grief people are annoying. Good job on the forearm stand!

That they are! Thank you!

Star Wars Dark Side 10K

The alarm went off at 2:45AM and I was up! My husband was a bit slower to get moving. I started making my toast (apparently super loudly too according to Mr. Dis_Yoda but we’re in a studio, what do you expect?)

qubOVEJ.jpg

Sourdough Bread Toast w/ Butter & Grape Jelly

It was perfect pre-race food for me! Enough to keep me going until the post race refreshment box after finishing the 10K.

7BgxEJg.jpg

Mr. Dis_Yoda - Pre-Race

o61NGk5.jpg

Dis_Yoda - Pre-Race

The ears didn’t make it to the race though. As we were leaving the room, the ears flew off with a gust of wind. Luckily as we were on the ground floor - I was able to put the ears on our patio from the outside so they would be safe.

We headed to the buses that were starting to run at 3:30AM. We were the first to get on the bus and at exactly 3:30AM we were off to the corrals! We arrived by 3:45AM and I was sadden to see they had already cut off the line for all of the pre-race photo spots!

NRuzfQP.jpg

xRfSNnw.jpg

IZIzhpK.jpg

I was mad at this and just told me husband, I guess we’re heading to the corrals then! Well the corrals weren’t open yet so we just hung out in the runner’s only area until they let us head to the corrals. The entrance to E was right there as we got to the corrals, so I kissed my husband goodbye and he headed towards A

36kJFYa.jpg

7wg03gr.jpg

We were able to see the screens while waiting in the corrals which was nice as I didn’t get that good of a view of them at Princess.

4yHILLm.jpg

Walking Up!

My husband went off with corral A - apparently he was at the very front but people from the ‘Stormtrooper’ crew kept pushing their way to the front and as he wasn’t into the personal bubble invasion he got pushed back a few rows. He said once the race started, he passed them all quickly and never saw them again!

H1tiQHi.jpg

10K Start Line

The corrals were going off every 8 minutes so a little after 6:02AM, I was off on my corral! I was holding back a lot of energy this race as I knew I would need more for the next day.

comb0lV.jpg

R2D2

Sd131zB.jpg

Mile 1 - 47:48 - 15:48? Minute Mile

fF7Y2zI.jpg

A Very Blurry Chewy

As we left EPCOT, the course got really crowded. I ended up giving up on running especially as I left the Boardwalk and headed down the road towards Hollywood Studios as there just wasn’t room to run/walk safely.

vq2Xuqt.jpg

Mile 2?

Some of the 501st were out outside Hollywood Studios which were nice to see!

0nUn73H.jpg

501st

Hz2lV47.jpg

Mile 3 - 1:25:29

8zp0WlS.jpg

Mile 4 - 1:39:31

YNDb4RU.jpg

Mile 5 - 1:56:58 - so 17:27

CYvgIkQ.jpg

AT-AT Leg

0Sd3nii.jpg

9sjGELi.jpg

More 501st

Mx0WAHF.jpg

18zUdhK.jpg

dSlLOSO.jpg

9yDkbWT.jpg

GbErHT7.jpg

Finish

neELerA.jpg

Dis_Yoda - Finished!

My official results put me at a 17:13 pace and my husband at a 9:08 pace. We both were slower than normal! I know for me it was because of the course crowding caused me to walk a lot more than normal early in the course and by the time I got to where it was clearing out, I decided to not waste the energy as it was already Mile 4.5 and I knew I was safe from the sweepers and this race wasn't going to be near a PR for me.

It was super easy to get my drinks post race so I picked up my Powerade, Water and a bag of ice (to place on my knees while waiting for bus) Exactly what I needed!

igg3xAZ.jpg

Powerade, Water & Ice

KxxP9pk.jpg

Post Race Refreshment Box

Best Race Box of 2016! Salty Cheddar Cheese w/ Chips, Oreos, Salt & Pepper Cashews! I was super happy! I gave away the applesauce as that isn’t my thing. As I waited in line to head back to VGF, I was able to enjoy all three of those things I listed there. The cheese was salty but at that point that is what my body really wanted! You can’t go wrong with oreos either!

Outside of the course crowding, I really liked the course. It was different than the Princess Course which was a nice change of scenery. I don't think anything could have been done to deal with the course crowding with the course as it was set up unless they added more corrals to the 10K but that didn't really help at the half either in those areas.​

That calendar is really just a google document I made for myself to keep track of it all! Nothing really special. That is great you ran 51 miles in March! So proud of you! How did your first 10K go?

Congrats on another great race! The 10K was awesome! I'm so proud of myself! I was feeling good and ran the entire race. I finished 1:01:41 pace at 9:50! We checked into AKL 4/17 and I was hoping I might see a familiar face running along but no luck. Just checking out of poly this morning :( but we'll be back in 6 months for the race! Oh, loved the outfit!

Enjoyed your 10k recap & pictures! My parents liked the course too (it was their first rundisney race weekend).

Congrats on another great race! The 10K was awesome! I'm so proud of myself! I was feeling good and ran the entire race. I finished 1:01:41 pace at 9:50! We checked into AKL 4/17 and I was hoping I might see a familiar face running along but no luck. Just checking out of poly this morning :( but we'll be back in 6 months for the race! Oh, loved the outfit!

That is awesome you ran the entire race! THat is a great pace! Maybe we'll run into each other in November!

Enjoyed your 10k recap & pictures! My parents liked the course too (it was their first rundisney race weekend).

Thank you :) That is great that they enjoyed the course as well! Did they catch the rundisney bug as well?

Star Wars Dark Side Half Marathon

I’ll preface this that this half marathon in some ways was my worst marathon but in other ways the best. It was a strange experience.

My phone alarm went off at 2:00AM and I was up and ready! I made my pre-race toast but forgot to take a photo of it as my husband was slow moving out of bed...I wanted us to get on the first monorail that was supposed to be starting around 2:30AM!

HOoNWyP.jpg

Mr. Dis_Yoda

IacvLzd.jpg

Dis_Yoda

We walked over to the monorail station only to find out they are having technical difficulties getting the monorail running this morning. Ugh! I didn’t want extra stress this morning. When asked if they had a backup plan, I was given a blank stare…

Totally didn’t like that stress!

The monorail finally started running 35 minutes later where it got rather backed by those of us at the Grand Floridian and then those at the Contemporary. We then had to switch monorails at the TTC and then walk from the Monorail Station to the Corrals. It was after 4AM when we finally arrived and that just stressed me out. My husband knew I wanted to get to my corral so he kissed me goodbye so he could get some water/bathroom and I went on my way.

It was a longer walk this morning to the corral. By the time I sat down in the corral to try to calm myself down before the race start, I had already walked 2.21 miles that morning! Crazy!

UYv3CRQ.jpg

Corral I

I had a little over 30 minutes to zen out. Betsy stopped by and said hi as she got into her corral (H!) since I was near the edge of that corral.

At 5:04AM, my husband was off and my corrals started moving forward little by little. The early corrals were going off every 4 minutes and eventually the larger ones were every 6 minutes.

Pfbuq7j.jpg

Start Line

I was off with Corral I at 6:38AM and I think I started off decently through EPCOT. R2D2 was out again in the same spot.

g6SjB6J.jpg

R2D2

Mile 1 went well for me as the course wasn’t too crowded and I was feeling ok.

IaKVIma.jpg

Blurry Mile 1

rhyKd2I.jpg

Better Chewy

Nkc1qV3.jpg

Mile 2: 1:11:49

Mile 2 to 3 was really frustrating as the course was narrow so it was mostly walking at this point. Totally did not want to be walking so much this early as I knew I wasn’t tired yet and wanted to bank the amount of time I could.

DE9bZnh.jpg

Mile 3: 1:29:19

I did love how we went through Hollywood Studios around Echo Lake and they had Kylo Ren out on the stage in front of the Chinese Theater!

PMlpehj.jpg
vCDIzWu.jpg

The 501st were out in the area used for Fantasmic..

zbPZ2Do.jpg

Mile 3 to 4 was again slow. Some of that was from the course crowding some of that was from stopping to take horrible photos, some of it was just me.

fJzKH0v.jpg

Mile 4: 1:47:56

I remember my thought process not being the best in between these miles. The bankment on the ramp leading up to overpass above Hollywood Studios sucks, especially that early in the race. As someone with a left ankle issue and sometimes IT band problems, I knew I physically was going to be in a little bit of trouble doing that two days in a row.

2fKdlDA.jpg

Mile 5: 2:04:05

xSnwQox.jpg

Mile 6: 2:23:07

P0B2lmd.jpg

Star Wars Rebels

Te5tbtJ.jpg

Entering Animal Kingdom

ou7qkEY.jpg

Mile 7: 2:41:21

Shortly after Mile 7, there was the spot that I’m sure a lot of people ended up using to cut the course. There was a row of 10 porta potties that could easily be used by people on both sides of the course. I won’t lie. I actually had a thought about it. I was being slow. I wasn’t overall in a great place mentally and I knew I was undertrained and it was showing physically on me. This is all my fault. I never really had a thought like that before.

My ethics won out. I knew it would mean a lot less to cheat myself. I was at my own fault for why I wasn’t doing well.

Disney had to tempt me a second time about a quarter mile after this with another spot that could easily be used.

I continued on.

NBivncz.jpg

Mile 8: 2:58:58

Eofe005.jpg

Dinoland

They had more 501st out at the entrance of Animal Kingdom as we were leaving.

7eNfEq3.jpg

More 501st

B7WmVff.jpg

More!

wiVkVKe.jpg

And More!

dpLlQHx.jpg

Mile 9: 3:17:05

GyUWj1P.jpg

Mile 10: 3:35:35

Mile 11:

At the 11 Mile Mark, the official race pacers were yelling at us saying we were only 2 minutes ahead of pacers. With as slow as I was being, I knew I was at risk. I tried to speed up but it wasn’t working.

The balloon ladies were right behind me as I turned into the Wide World of Sports Dirt Trail. It was super crowded as well as we got onto the trail so I could hear the younger balloon lady just yelling that we needed to not get in their way as they had a pace to keep. One lady who also was at the end of her stamina asked if she was safe and she replied, you can still get swept at the baseball fields. I got annoyed at this as I knew Disney wouldn’t actually sweep someone at that point as it was less than a quarter mile from the finish line. Based on my knowledge of Disney & sweep points, I figured once you go into Wide World of Sports you would be safe as there was no place for buses to sweep you. (This was true)

DLLXsbN.jpg

Balloon Ladies Past Me

Every bit of energy was gone in me but I kept just trucking forward. I wasn’t going to give up this close to the end.

vPcM6Zp.jpg

Mile 12: 4:13:08

IMU3h8k.jpg

I think every bit of me was done at this point but I still kept on moving.

Ax0PmyY.jpg

Mile 13: 4:32:42

cHJsu11.jpg

Garmin Results

My worst race ever!

16smx8Q.jpg

All The Medals

Official Results Dis_Yoda: 3:56:54 @ 18:05 pace
Official Results Mr. Dis_Yoda: 2:07:02 @ 9:42 pace

In my haze of getting my medals, I completely missed getting the water and the powerade bottles. I didn’t miss getting the Dr. Cool towel to put around my neck though. I realized this once I was at the food box/banana place and there was not any energy in me to go back and get it. I figured I would be ok.

I ate the banana while getting to the buses and then the oreos. There was a cooler of water by the buses so I stopped to drink 3 paper cups full. I found the line for my hotel and wavered in there. Then it hit me. A gurgling in my stomach, a clammy sweat all over my body and I got ill in the grass there. I apologized to those near me and they were super kind about it all. One nice lady gave me a peppermint as she said it should help me balance out and feel better if its something with my blood sugar.

I’m sure you’ve read through this and are like, is this girl crazy? Nothing really positive was said in the midst of this report...totally true.

But despite all the badness that was this race, it showed me how far I’ve come along mentally in the past year. I’ve posted before that I had a bad mental breakdown during the 2015 Light Side Half Marathon in Disneyland that lasted from Mile 5 to Mile 12. The 3 months following that race were really rough on me as I struggled with a severe depression and it took getting professional help to pull me out of it. There were a lot of other things going on that was causing me to be pulled in that downward spiral and I think I’ve posted about it before on the boards.

Outside of my temptation to course cut (which I didn’t do), I never had truly depressive moment during this race. I may have been physically drained but I was strong enough to keep on moving, even if it was slow and it wasn’t pretty. (My photopass photos from this race will never see the light of day as they are BAD) To me that is a total win! I really liked the course in comparison to Princess as well.​

Good for you! You should be so proud! I'm serious when I say, your race reports inspired me to start running! You go girl!!

Wow, way to stick with it and finish!! Sounds like a tough race but that is so awesome that you are focusing on the positives. You rock!! :yay:

Woohoo for sticking to it & finishing! The crowding on the dirt path to WWOS looks nuts! Great pictures again! Getting sick after is no fun, but at least you made through. You know my marathon photos this year were awful cause I was sick & grabbing my back at the finish with a grimace.... but I bought the Dopey package for all the pictures and now looking back on them it's not as bad, sure I look like crap, but it's motivation for next time :)
Yep, my parents caught the RunDisney bug too! I want to do DarkSide next year so then they'll probably try wine & dine 2017 (someone has to stay here for pets).

Good job again! Be proud! That Kessel Medal is very cool too!

Which did you prefer Light Side or Darkside? Or are they both just as fun.

Awesome job on finishing! And yes, be proud of yourself for how far you have come! Its funny how it takes "bad" runs to make us realize that sometimes!

Good for you! You should be so proud! I'm serious when I say, your race reports inspired me to start running! You go girl!!
:hug: Thank you. I'm glad I finished. Its good to know those of us in the back of the pack can inspire as I doesn't feel that way. Can't wait to finally run into you at a race some day!

Wow, way to stick with it and finish!! Sounds like a tough race but that is so awesome that you are focusing on the positives. You rock!! :yay:
Thanks :) It was a tough race for me but those sometimes happen. I am glad I stuck it out and finished! A bad race is better than no race!

Woohoo for sticking to it & finishing! The crowding on the dirt path to WWOS looks nuts! Great pictures again! Getting sick after is no fun, but at least you made through. You know my marathon photos this year were awful cause I was sick & grabbing my back at the finish with a grimace.... but I bought the Dopey package for all the pictures and now looking back on them it's not as bad, sure I look like crap, but it's motivation for next time :)
Yep, my parents caught the RunDisney bug too! I want to do DarkSide next year so then they'll probably try wine & dine 2017 (someone has to stay here for pets).

Good job again! Be proud! That Kessel Medal is very cool too!

Which did you prefer Light Side or Darkside? Or are they both just as fun.

That dirt path was nuts at that point! Even if I wanted to go faster (which I didn't) I don't think I would have been able to without pushing through people. I remember you had a rough marathon from being sick but you finished which is awesome especially after 3 days of racing!

The photos are just funny at this point. My husband always takes the best race photos and he looks so happy in them! I always look miserable even if I'm having a good race (like Light Side this year or the first half of Princess this year) I'm just not a good race photo taker. That's great you are going to do Dark Side next year! Maybe we'll run into each other since we are going to keep doing Light Side/Dark Side!

The Kessel Medal is the coolest! It is my favorite of all the Star Wars Medals although I do love the 10K Medals as well! I just love how all of them look together!

tePotTK.jpg

My husband and I are split between Light Side & Dark Side. I think I like Light Side better as the course is a lot flatter and there is a lot more entertainment on the road portions of the race with the locals supporting. At WDW, the 501st were in the parks so that just felt like an extension of the normal Disney. My husband likes Dark Side better. So I guess that makes it a wash!

Awesome job on finishing! And yes, be proud of yourself for how far you have come! Its funny how it takes "bad" runs to make us realize that sometimes!

That is really true. The bad runs do make me realize how far I've come in the past 1.5 years of racing.

April Training Report

Screen Shot 2016-05-01 at 4.49.10 PM.png

April Total Mileage: 32.5 Miles
Total 2016 Miles: 168.88 Miles

The month started off with a girl’s weekend to Cancun. It was supposed to be a bachelorette party but about a week and a half before the trip it changed as the wedding was called off. I always knew going into the weekend I would be the responsible one as I was 2 weeks out from Dark Side Half Marathon Weekend and I’m the only one of the girls going that was married (over 8 years!) so doing the club scene isn’t really my scene. I also got to accomplish my last long run on the trip. I decided against doing the back to back days running because of the trip and just get the long mileage in. At least that was the plan. Then a tequila tasting and Senor Frogs happened and I drank more than I should have. The 6.79 miles I got in where an accomplishment of itself as I was sweating out the alcohol 2 minutes in at a walk setting. I did skip going to Coco Bongos on Saturday Night though as one night of drinking was more than enough for me!

F8gfSkj.jpg

0A48j5g.jpg

68PfUvj.jpg

yebgQD3.jpg

As I’ve already posted my race recaps, we know how the Dark Side Challenge Weekend went. I’m in the middle of posting my dining reviews.
http://www.disboards.com/threads/ru...lenge-dining-report-feb-apr-2016-5-1.3484025/

Upon coming home from Dark Side Challenge, I needed a full week break from all exercise. Monday morning after the half, I got out of bed to head to work and my left ankle almost collapsed on itself. It felt so weak! Luckily I have my brace that I wore that entire week. My hips were also hurting more than normal but that was on me for undertraining. When I got my massage that following Sunday, I could just tell how bad my body was. It took an elbow into my left glute to get it to loosen up and she barely touched my ankle and it crackled and popped multiple times. I felt so much better afterwards! I still decided to take it easy for the last week of the month and just enjoy yoga.

I’ve been really enjoying my beach yoga on Wednesday Nights. It has been a good reset each week as a mental break from the work week. Also helps maintain my tan ;)

21OjyE8.jpg

YhrVJAr.png

I'm hoping to start May off rebuilding a base. My husband and I are signed up for a 10K on Memorial Day that I need to train for. I also need to decide if I'm going to do the 10 Miler in Oahu on July 2nd but I'm taking it one step at a time as I don't want to injury myself. I think I need to look into different training plans than Galloway's at this point for me.​

I'm totally looking forward to running into you sometime too. No pun intended! Lol

I'm sure the girls weekend was a blast. Sorry to hear her wedding was called off...eek!

Today I ran 8 miles. My longest distance yet. It was on the treadmill (which totally sucked) because of the cold rainy weather...ugh. I just wasn't into it at all! I kinda follow Galloway, but I can't find my groove! I run 30 mins on Tuesday and Thursday (usually a 5K) and whatever the long is on Sunday. I never know if I should walk/run from the start or run until I'm tired and then walk/run? I guess there is no right or wrong answer! My knees started killing me today and walk/run definitely allowed me to finish. Idk....I'm still so new to this! Regardless, I ran 8 miles, my pace was 10.48 and it took 1.26hr. It seemed painful at the time, but still a great pace.

March: 50 miles
April: 42 miles (2 weeks off)
May: 8 miles

I've read Hal Higdon plans are good, although I'm terrible at actually following any plan, but it seems to get good feedback. Building that base up is so important, some of my local friends that sign up for a half marathon don't get that & try to cram train and then complain, I'm like duh. Hope you find a plan you like! Yeah, Darkside will be cool, I want to be a sarlaac pit, hat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter