RCI to DVC exchange? RCI Membership Fee Question

Laderer

Earning My Ears
Hi!

We just inherited a timeshare in New Orleans that is listed on the RCI website. Is it possible to exchange the New Orleans week for DVC points? We love New Orleans, but it is unlikely we will go as often as we go to WDW.

The RCI site cost $99 to use for a year.. However, I can log onto it through the DVC cite to use DVC to RCI, which I don't ever plan on doing. But has anyone found a way to do RCI to DVC without paying the $99? I'd love to list my New Orleans week on the site to rent it, but I have no idea how without registering a new account.

Hopefully someone can help explain this to me! Thanks :)

As far as I know, DVC will not also give you "regular" RCI access. If you want to exchange something other than DVC, you will need to obtain an RCI account some other way---either by paying for it, or buying another timeshare that includes regular access as part of its fees.

You can't exchange your NO timeshare for DVC points, nor can you just rent it via RCI. You deposit a particular year's use into RCI, and in exchange get credit you can use towards some other vacation. The amount of "credit" you get is a number up to 60. Say, for example, your deposit is given a credit of "27". Then, you can exchange into any other week priced at 27 or less. If less, you get the change back and can use it for something else. If you want something more expensive than 27, you have to deposit and (pay to) combine two or more years' worth of use. RCI will tell you how much a particular deposit will be worth before you deposit it. Once you deposit it, the deposit is permanent and can't be undone.

To learn more about how this all works, I recommend you join TUG, the Timeshare User's Group. www.tug2.net and www.tugbbs.com

Realistically, though, you should not expect to regularly exchange RCI to DVC, or be able to do it predictably, as I understand things.

Thank you. It's a shame it is not doable. That sure would be handy! I would only want to use RCI points to use at a Disney Resort. At this point we're just putting our week in a "pool" at the New Orleans hotel and we get a small check from that, but it doesn't cover even half yearly maintenance fees. I've never had a timeshare besides DVC so this is so new to us. I'm grateful to have it, but I have no idea what to do with it as we probably won't go to New Orleans for a few years.

Thank you. It's a shame it is not doable. That sure would be handy! I would only want to use RCI points to use at a Disney Resort. At this point we're just putting our week in a "pool" at the New Orleans hotel and we get a small check from that, but it doesn't cover even half yearly maintenance fees. I've never had a timeshare besides DVC so this is so new to us. I'm grateful to have it, but I have no idea what to do with it as we probably won't go to New Orleans for a few years.[

You should check further to see if your NO is also in with another group. Our RCI is through Wyndham and has its own "portal" to enter and see trades worldwide. We have traded for Saratoga Springs, Las Vegas, Orlando Bonnet Creek, Hawaii, and many others through RCI. I have seen especially OKW & Saratoga 1 BR several times for trade through this portal. The credit you receive for depositing your NO timeshare is different than the credit you may see on different RCI sites. For instance today I saw on RCI through the DVC trading site a Hawaii timeshare I have been looking for through Wyndham's RCI. While there on the DVC site, it does not appear on the Wyndham portal and points are figured differently. As the previous poster said, join TUG and you will get a wealth of information especially on trading. They have a bulletin board called "Sightings" that shows the great trades on RCI as well as other exchanges that members post daily. Hope this helps!

Hi!

We just inherited a timeshare in New Orleans that is listed on the RCI website. Is it possible to exchange the New Orleans week for DVC points? We love New Orleans, but it is unlikely we will go as often as we go to WDW.

The RCI site cost $99 to use for a year.. However, I can log onto it through the DVC cite to use DVC to RCI, which I don't ever plan on doing. But has anyone found a way to do RCI to DVC without paying the $99? I'd love to list my New Orleans week on the site to rent it, but I have no idea how without registering a new account.

Hopefully someone can help explain this to me! Thanks :)
What resort, week (or season) and villa size? You very well might get a SSR, AKV or OKW 1 BR at times. Whether it's worth the membership fee, exchange fee, additional $190 DVC charges and the maint fees is questionable. For a single week you're better using it when you can, renting it or using one of the independent exchange companies that's far less expensive and more flexible.

What resort, week (or season) and villa size? You very well might get a SSR, AKV or OKW 1 BR at times. Whether it's worth the membership fee, exchange fee, additional $190 DVC charges and the maint fees is questionable. For a single week you're better using it when you can, renting it or using one of the independent exchange companies that's far less expensive and more flexible.

Its at Hotel De La Monnaie, 2 bedrooms, week 4. Its an amazing location. You're right though, I'm not sure the fees would make it worth trading. I did put it on a timeshare rental site this year, but "week 4" is next week and I haven't heard anything. I'm really not into having a specific week every year, but perhaps I'll get used to it. I absolutely love the DVC points system. Thanks so much for your input! :)

Week 4 in NOLA could be Mardi Gras time. Not the last weeks before, but you are definitely in the season. Why not just sell it and use the funds to purchase another DVC contract?

I think that is something I'll definitely look into. I do absolutely love New Orleans, most of my childhood memories either include this NO hotel or Disney World, so I'm definitely emotionally tied to it. I just love Disney more!! It is Mardi Gras season, which will hopefully get me a good price. I think I will start looking for a reputable timeshare selling company.. I would absolutely LOVE another DVC contract :D Thanks for your advice!

Its at Hotel De La Monnaie, 2 bedrooms, week 4. Its an amazing location. You're right though, I'm not sure the fees would make it worth trading. I did put it on a timeshare rental site this year, but "week 4" is next week and I haven't heard anything. I'm really not into having a specific week every year, but perhaps I'll get used to it. I absolutely love the DVC points system. Thanks so much for your input! :)
If you deposited the 2018 week it looks like you'd get a TPU of 33. That might be enough to trade to a DVC 1 BR. I don't think week 4 will ever cover Mardi Gras. The earliest it starts will be more like week 6 and often later.

Mardi Gras season starts on 12th Night. I know we had our first parade this weekend in NW Louisiana.

If you deposited the 2018 week it looks like you'd get a TPU of 33. That might be enough to trade to a DVC 1 BR. I don't think week 4 will ever cover Mardi Gras. The earliest it starts will be more like week 6 and often later.

A DVC 1 BR is exactly what I'm looking for for this September. That sure would be helpful. Thank you so much for seeing what the 2018 week might get me. So you get points for depositing even if your week isn't used?

A DVC 1 BR is exactly what I'm looking for for this September. That sure would be helpful. Thank you so much for seeing what the 2018 week might get me. So you get points for depositing even if your week isn't used?

Last year in sep I exchanged into DVC (Ssr) I can't remember how far out I setup the ongoing search. I recommend you do it as fast as you can. I don't recall anyone getting anything else than ssr, maybe a few Okw was available as points reservations, but I honestly don't recall. Points reservation don't match ongoing searches.

33 tpu might not help you make the cut, more often than not the cost is higher to make the reservation. Iirc the cost more often than not is between 40-60 tpu'es. Some have picked up inventory for a little as 10tpu but then it was with very short notice around 20 days in advance.

If you want to be on the safe side you need to deposit two years of you ownership into RCI. Then you can combine(For a fee ofc)the two and you are sure to have enough. But if that is worth it in the mf you pay I don't know.

I'd say the chances of Sept after the holiday weekend are excellent for availability. I'd say 33 has a good chance of success. Maybe someone else has paid for attention to TPU costs the last 2 years. Recently most of the availability has been shorter notice. Deposit it and put in a request listing as many resorts, weeks and check in as possible.

Hi

I just did a brief investigations and found the following from last year. The numbers in the end is the tpu value. All are at SSR

1 Bedroom 4 (4) Full Sat 30-Jul-2016 Sat 06-Aug-2016 Exchange Fee 18
1 Bedroom 4 (4) Full Sat 13-Aug-2016 Sat 20-Aug-2016 Exchange Fee 45
1 Bedroom 4 (4) Full Sat 27-Aug-2016 Sat 03-Sep-2016 Exchange Fee 33
1 Bedroom 4 (4) Full Sat 10-Sep-2016 Sat 17-Sep-2016 Exchange Fee 33
1 Bedroom 4 (4) Full Sat 24-Sep-2016 Sat 01-Oct-2016 Exchange Fee 33

These was posted in june

1 Bedroom 4 (4) Full Sat 14-May-2016 Sat 21-May-2016 Exchange Fee 11
1 Bedroom 4 (4) Full Sat 06-Aug-2016 Sat 13-Aug-2016 Exchange Fee 45
1 Bedroom 4 (4) Full Sat 20-Aug-2016 Sat 27-Aug-2016 Exchange Fee 39
1 Bedroom 4 (4) Full Sat 03-Sep-2016 Sat 10-Sep-2016 Exchange Fee 33
1 Bedroom 4 (4) Full Fri 09-Sep-2016 Fri 16-Sep-2016 Exchange Fee 33
1 Bedroom 4 (4) Full Fri 16-Sep-2016 Fri 23-Sep-2016 Exchange Fee 33

Posted in may

1 Bedroom 4 (4) Full Sat 04-Jun-2016 Sat 11-Jun-2016 Exchange Fee 13
1 Bedroom 4 (4) Full Fri 08-Jul-2016 Fri 15-Jul-2016 Exchange Fee 45
1 Bedroom 4 (4) Full Sat 09-Jul-2016 Sat 16-Jul-2016 Exchange Fee 45
1 Bedroom 4 (4) Full Sat 23-Jul-2016 Sat 30-Jul-2016 Exchange Fee 45

also posted in may

So I would recommend setting up the ongoing search asap. With 33 tpu value you should have a chance, but if RCI for any reason decides to increase the tpu value 1 tiny bit, then you wont hit.

Hi

I just did a brief investigations and found the following from last year. The numbers in the end is the tpu value. All are at SSR

1 Bedroom 4 (4) Full Sat 30-Jul-2016 Sat 06-Aug-2016 Exchange Fee 18
1 Bedroom 4 (4) Full Sat 24-Sep-2016 Sat 01-Oct-2016 Exchange Fee 33

These was posted in june

1 Bedroom 4 (4) Full Sat 14-May-2016 Sat 21-May-2016 Exchange Fee 11
1 Bedroom 4 (4) Full Fri 09-Sep-2016 Fri 16-Sep-2016 Exchange Fee 33
1 Bedroom 4 (4) Full Fri 16-Sep-2016 Fri 23-Sep-2016 Exchange Fee 33

Posted in may

1 Bedroom 4 (4) Full Sat 04-Jun-2016 Sat 11-Jun-2016 Exchange Fee 13
1 Bedroom 4 (4) Full Fri 08-Jul-2016 Fri 15-Jul-2016 Exchange Fee 45
1 Bedroom 4 (4) Full Sat 09-Jul-2016 Sat 16-Jul-2016 Exchange Fee 45
1 Bedroom 4 (4) Full Sat 23-Jul-2016 Sat 30-Jul-2016 Exchange Fee 45

also posted in may

So I would recommend setting up the ongoing search asap. With 33 tpu value you should have a chance, but if RCI for any reason decides to increase the tpu value 1 tiny bit, then you wont hit.

Wow, awesome information. Thank you very very much for looking into that! Is it a requirement when using RCI to book a Disney Resort like the SSR that it be for an entire week? Thanks so much!

You are welcome.

You need to book the entire week but you are not obligated to stay the entire week. If you book sun-sun then you could check in Tuesday and check out Sunday.

Also have in mind that DVC has raised the inbound exchange fee so now you pay 195$ on top of the RCI 239$ exchange fee.

I have friend trying to go to SSR in August through RCI. He has 120 TPU's and has been on the waitlist since last September. Any idea why there has been no confirmation as of yet?

I have friend trying to go to SSR in August through RCI. He has 120 TPU's and has been on the waitlist since last September. Any idea why there has been no confirmation as of yet?
That time hasn't been deposited yet in all likelihood. They should hang out until May but deposits for a 1 BR at SSR will likely start to occur in the next month or so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter