"RapidFill" RFID refillable mugs coming back resort wide...

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by doconeill, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Castle2Castle

Castle2Castle Disney Runner

With respect to the discussion of re-using mugs and re-activating chips, it may be as simple as the battery and chip they're using not lending itself to an extensive lifespan to allow for re-use. From what I've gathered of the battery and chip being used for MagicBands, the life expectancy of the battery is only 1 year; it doesn't seem unreasonable that the battery and chip for a drink mug would be the same or less.

I'm fine with the change as the price increase isn't that significant for the length of stay mugs, and the lower price for shorter stays provides increased value to more guests. The biggest difference is being able to actively enforce the policy that's been in effect all along, making those who broke the rules the biggest (only?) losers.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. smitch425

smitch425 DIS Veteran

:rotfl2:

4. Topper

Topper The One True Duck

WTG DS, this person said the lifetime was "chiseled" into the mug. Since I have NEVER seen photographic proof of such, I asked for a picture. Did you know that posting a link to LMGTFY can get you points or banned?

5. DizCaptain

DizCaptain °o° Disney Enthusiast

"Chiseled" is an expression of state. Not a literal statement. Since everyone is so gung-ho on the matter, I can tell you there were signs above and near the registers at a few of the resorts stating the lifetime status of the mugs. If I find photographic proof I'll share it, but my personal testimony will have to suffice for now.

6. robinb

robinb DIS Veteran

Really? Since when? I don't remember a ban on LMGTFY under the rules of posting on the DIS (and I have been here longer than you have).

7. Luv0fDisney

Luv0fDisney DIS Veteran

How will this effect the FREE refill mug offer for the dining plan? or should I ask Will it effect it?

8. smitch425

smitch425 DIS Veteran

Mugs will be included in all dining plans just as they are now, but they will have a chip in them and will be programmed for the length of your dining plan stay. They will be active from the time you claim your mug and expire at 11:59pm on your check out day just as they are now. We do not know if there will be a time period in which you have to wait between refills, but if there is, it will likely be 5 minutes. We should know more by the end of the month. They are supposed to be put in at the All Star resorts in the next few weeks.

9. lockedoutlogic

lockedoutlogic DIS Veteran

The more I think about this...the thing that grates me the most is not the cost ( if I skip lunch today I save that)...it's the waste.

Do we need more Chinese plastic? Seriously? I know that they go through these things like water, but reprogramming is much better in terms of waste/pollution.
    Disney needs to ease off the mass produced crap...they already embarrass themselves

10. jade1

jade1 If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your luc

Its about 6 ounces with ice. In the FL heat? :sad2:

Although one time on a cooler Dec trip-I actually got outside the building and still had a couple swigs left. :rolleyes:

11. jade1

Yep, and maybe they could put walls on buildings with AC, with the money they make selling the mugs. :rolleyes1

[​IMG]

12. Spacedog1975

Spacedog1975 Mouseketeer

My read of the guidelines does not suggest that this is an accurate statement. Regardless my point is missed. I was feeling like the initial request was antagonistic, and I prefer not to read argumentative/antagonistic posts while here.

I have never had a lifetime mug. I have never seen a lifetime mug. I have, however, seen many references to lifetime mugs on this and many other sites, which suggests that many people believe they have at one time or another received lifetime mugs.

It is not my job to police who uses what at the resort soda fountains. Disney is perfectly capable. If legitimate lifetime mugs exist, they will either create a solution for them or they won't. Thus, must we really argue amongst ourselves about whether they exist or they do not?

13. magicbob

magicbob DIS Veteran

BYW* pricing structure! :rotfl2:

* Beverages Your Way

I'm glad they will allow the mugs to be used at any resort. It sure would be great if they ever included refills at the parks.

I also think they should allow re-use of old mugs if you pay to renew/reactivate them. We don't need stacks of mugs at home and would just as soon re-use the ones we have (legally). As pp said, maybe they are concerned about it being sanitary. But that being said, they have to trust me to wash my mug out at night DURING my stay.

14. darnheather

darnheather DIS Veteran

It comes out of the machine cold and if you are drinking it that fast do you need ice? I'm not trying to quibble, but Americans are seriously addicted to soda, I know I'm one, but I'm working to cut back.

15. doconeill

doconeill Fastpass Jedi Master DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Soda is no always dispensed from these systems cold.

16. Spacedog1975

Spacedog1975 Mouseketeer

This actually makes me wonder if the machines will be calibrated to fill based on a presumed ice content. I myself never get ice because:

1) As stated the soda in the machines is already cold enough to my liking.
    2) Ice in time dilutes the soda and eventually you get a watery drink
    3) Ice wastes precious space that could be used for soda

(Did you say Americans are addicted to soda? Nah... ;) )

If they are calibrated to expect ice, the possible 5 minute rule will definitely kill me. Like dead. For reals yo. :faint:

17. disneynutz

disneynutz DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

My understanding is that the RFID chip used in the mugs is a passive one that does not require a battery. The drink system software is updated by the CM which allows that mugs serial number to use the machine.

The programming possibilities are endless, Magic Bands might be incorporated into the process, policy changes will only require a software update.

:earsboy: Bill

18. disneynutz

disneynutz DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Cold is required to maintain carbonation.

:earsboy: Bill

19. smitch425

smitch425 DIS Veteran

There is a youtube video of the test machines at All Star Sports and they were able to fill the cup right to the top with no ice. :thumbsup2

20. doconeill

doconeill Fastpass Jedi Master DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Yet I seem to get warm sodas frequently enough...

21. jade1

That fast? 6 ounces? Go walk through EPCOT in August and fill a dixie cup, see how long it lasts.

So your advice to cut down "Americans serious soda addiction", is to not add ice to a 16 oz cup, just drink all 16 ounces of soda with no ice.

Maybe if you add ice, it will cut your addiction in 1/2.