Random yet useful items to have for your trip.

Something I thought of today string! so often we use games on our phones but what about teaching kids to play Cat's Cradle! So i'm adding string to my list.

Back braces! Those Velcro-wrap kind you can get at grocery stores or on Amazon for like $15. Total lifesavers.

Husband and I are fairly young and fit people and we really like to walk everywhere so we can take in as much of our surroundings as we can. But after long walking days at the parks our first two trips (we would walk to MK from CR, or walk to Epcot when we stayed at BW) we came back to the room with our spines just wracked from pounding the pavement all day. Now the braces go under our clothes (or between layers when it was chilly last week!) and it's a night-and-day difference at the end of the day. We swear by them. You can't even tell in photos we're basically wearing Velcro corsets.

Love the suggestion to bring a tennis ball to massage muscles and feet at the end of the day! Stealing that one for next trip!

We bring small plastic baskets that measure about 12" x 6" with a flat bottom. Ours are rectangular in shape. We put everyone's name on the outside. They are perfect for placing wallets and coins/money and other items like camera SD cards and things that end up in your pockets each day. We place each basket by an outlet or power strip and you can place your cords and phone and camera in the basket while it's charging. When you are done charging, use twist ties to wrap up the lengthy cords and put them in "your" basket. These baskets are stackable and don't take up much room in your suitcase and it keeps counter surfaces cleared off, less clutter.

Dh always has his swiss army knife in his pocket, but just left Disney, and this trip they have the extra security that they randomly choose a person to 'empty' their pockets and pass through a metal detector. When they saw his knife they told him not to bring it to the parks (at least they didn't confiscate it!!) So just a 'heads up'!! :goodvibes

That's so good to know! My hubs always always has a tiny little pocket knife with him - it's come in handy so many times!

Back braces! Those Velcro-wrap kind you can get at grocery stores or on Amazon for like $15. Total lifesavers.

Husband and I are fairly young and fit people and we really like to walk everywhere so we can take in as much of our surroundings as we can. But after long walking days at the parks our first two trips (we would walk to MK from CR, or walk to Epcot when we stayed at BW) we came back to the room with our spines just wracked from pounding the pavement all day. Now the braces go under our clothes (or between layers when it was chilly last week!) and it's a night-and-day difference at the end of the day. We swear by them. You can't even tell in photos we're basically wearing Velcro corsets.

Love the suggestion to bring a tennis ball to massage muscles and feet at the end of the day! Stealing that one for next trip!

The braces aren't uncomfortable? I love this idea as I have the same problem!

Dh always has his swiss army knife in his pocket, but just left Disney, and this trip they have the extra security that they randomly choose a person to 'empty' their pockets and pass through a metal detector. When they saw his knife they told him not to bring it to the parks (at least they didn't confiscate it!!) So just a 'heads up'!! :goodvibes
Thanks. I actually didn't mean I brought it TO the parks, just to have in the room. There were extra security measures in December as well, including metal detectors for "randomly selected" guests. The only thing I saw confiscated were a few dozen selfie sticks.:teeth: Thanks for the thought, though, North of Mouse!:smooth:

Scissors for moleskin. Small Air Freshener for bathroom in room. Flushable wipes. Cough drops. Icy Hot patches.

I have got to remember this for next time! Music doesn't work as well for me, so I'll have to find one of these to take with me.

There's an app for that....seriously, there are many apps that do various kinds of white noise.....plug your phone into one of the extension cords everyone suggests and hit play. Some you can set it to turn off after an hour or two, I use the continuous play.

We either buy it at our WalMart from home or when we get there, ponchos for rain and/or Splash Mountain. I also bring Peptol Bismol for "those" times when someone eats a little too much or of the wrong thing.

The braces aren't uncomfortable? I love this idea as I have the same problem!

I think it depends on how sturdy the braces are (if it has a lot of boning, or if its just basically a wide neoprene band, etc.) and honestly how hot it is. There was the one steamy day I was sitting in American Adventure just waiting for the lights to go down so I could reach under my shirt and rip it off, but other than that one instance its ben a godsend.

Traveling pharmacy in a big Ziploc, subdivided into: cold/cough, pain, stomach, first aid, etc.

We use unfolded cloth diapers as cold cloths around our necks on hot days. Easy to refresh throughout the day and makes all the difference on a hot day!

Misty Mate - works better that a water fan and the small ones fit in pocket/day pack.

This x 4: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MWU1GGI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

With 4 phones, 4 portable chargers and 2 Ipads, we are trying one of these this trip (beats needing 5 separate outlets for USB gadgets!): http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=13914

Foldable fabric cubes (you can find them at the dollar store). Perfect for the bathroom to corral everyone's toiletries when not being used, especially when counter space is at a premium. Also we set up one in the room to collect everything that comes out of pockets. That way everything is together and doesn't have a chance of falling behind a dresser/behind the bed.

each kid gets one to corral their stuff, and I bring one for park stuff (magic bands, gift cards, water bottle straps) and one for sun screen.......

I haven't read through the whole thread, so I don't know if anyone mentioned this or not, but . . . .

Clorox Wipes

You can get them in little travel packages similar to baby wipe packs. We use them to clean tables at counter service locations before we eat, and even to clean off hands before eating there. Without fail, every time we have forgotten to bring them with us, we all wound up getting sick. Never have any of us gotten sick when we were using them in the parks though.

Note: I'm not a germophobe nut. I believe in washing hands after using the bathroom, and for the most part, that is about it. I don't worry about germs a whole lot, but I have found that tables at CS locations typically are not cleaned between seatings. A quick wipe can go a long way toward removing germs left behind by the last 3 families that used the table, and as we all know if there was just one sick kid in one of those families, there is about a 100% chance that someone in our family is going to be sick in a few days.

And now that I am thinking . .. I have an extension cord, 25' that I removed the outlet end from, and replaced it with a 6 outlet power strip. It was pretty easy to swap the power strip on there, and it is great for phone chargers, toaster, laptop / tablet chargers etc.

Zip Loc bags, and I always carry a couple with me in my pocket when leaving the room. They are amazing for keeping camera, cell phone, wallet, batteries, charger packs etc. dry on wet rides, and during storms.

I also have a charging block I got from Ebay which charges up to 5 devices at 2.1 amps, or as many as 10 at 1 amp. It is great for phones and tablets. Bring along a selection of long charging cords (also found cheap on ebay) and everyone can get their phone charged, and still be able to place it somewhere convenient.

Last edited:
each kid gets one to corral their stuff, and I bring one for park stuff (magic bands, gift cards, water bottle straps) and one for sun screen.......

the foldable fabric cubes . . .. I just saw them for sale in our Dollar Tree store. Don't think you'll find 'em much cheaper than that!

I always bring earplugs. There are a couple of rides that are really loud...even for me. Especially the Dinosaur ride at Animal Kingdom. It is impossible to plug your ears and hold on during that ride!

A sarong. It serves many uses. You can sit on it like a beach blanket while you're waiting for a parade to start. You can use it as a scarf or wrap it around you or your kids when they get cold after the sun goes down. If your kids are little and you still use a stroller, you can put it over the stroller to block out some the sun in your little one's eyes while he/she is napping. And it hardly weighs a thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter