Random thoughts from 8/22-8/28 trip

Imdboss

DIS Veteran
Instead of doing a full blown trip report I thought I would just write about things I think might be helpful to others in this forum as this is the only one I tend to follow. In no particular order:

The family: me, DH, DS6, DD11, my mom (has muscular dystrophy so rented a w/c at DL) and my stepdad

Flew from SEA to SNA on Saturday 8/22, landed at 3pm, claimed bags, in car (Lansky's) at 3:20, arrived at Worldmark at 3:40 to drop off my parents, then Embassy Suites S at 3:50 for us.

Return trip was Fri 8/28, we all got picked up at Worldmark at 5:30, arrived at SNA at 5:45pm. The airport was eerily empty!

Embassy Suites S: the hotel is older, had some issues during our stay, the staff was responsive though. DH is almost diamond status w/ Hilton, he called Hilton Honors to state his concerns thinking we would get 5k points, they got hotel manager on line and he gave us a credit for 1 night! Next time we will stay at DoubleTree even though it's more expensive or we'll try the new Homewood Suites. We don't need super fancy but do prefer nicer accommodations.

Getting to DL: Embassy uses a 3rd party shuttle. $5 per adult and $2 per child. There are two other hotels on each side of them (Hampton Inn & Hilton Garden) that also use this shuttle. It has a p/u spot right outside the entrance and goes straight to DL, no other stops. I loved this! From the time we left hotel to the time we were IN the park it was only 15 minutes. They leave hotel at 15 and 45 after the hour and leave DL on the hour and half hour. They were always on time to the minute.

We usually go in Oct but the crowds have just gotten so busy over the years we tried Aug this year. The crowds were in fact much lower but the heat and humidity was too much for us during the day. We would head back to the hotel around 2 then return to the park around 5 to get out of the peak heat.

Aug/Oct pros/cons: Aug heat, yes we've had hot days in Oct but it would only be for a few hours a day, in Aug it was hot from 10-6. Aug crowds were lower. Oct has longer park hours. So with larger crowds in Oct but the longer hours I think we still did about the same amount of rides in more enjoyable temps

Food: finally tried the bbq chicken baked potato from Harbor Galley, it was delicious, will definitely have that every trip. Had dinner at Rancho Del Zocalo, DH and I shared the enchiladas with the steak on top, very good and plenty for sharing.

Cove Bar: first I'll say that DH and I met waiting tables so we are very understanding with wait staff. The service was HORRIBLE. That said the lobster nachos were delicious but I'm not sure I'd go back based on the service. We also ate at CO to get our Monte Cristo fix and the service there wasn't all that great either.

On day 4 DS lost his lanyard with 13 pins on it. We thought he left it in my mom's room during our afternoon break so didn't realize it was lost until that night. After searching everywhere the last place to check was DL lost and found the next morning and it was there!!! Such a relief and nice to know there are honest people out there. Still have no idea how he lost it since he wouldn't take his off during rides like DD would but I'm thinking it was possibly at lunch in CO.

Paint the Night: WOW, Disney outdid themselves with that one!!! It was so worth it to get a good spot and wait for that. We saw the 8:30 parade on Thurs. We got a spot at 7 right behind a bench. It was perfect and I'd choose that spot again. We were at the benches that are in front of Plaza Inn and faces the Friends statue. Shortly after we claimed our area people were filing in so I'm glad we got there when we did. I'd say find your spot at 6:45 to ensure there are places still available. Behind a bench was nice because you don't have anyone standing in front of you.

We didn't watch the fireworks, DS is terrified of them. One night we went into a store when they started and he found a little corner behind some clothes so he was fine. A CM started talking to him and got him to come out, she kept him distracted the entire time, it was super sweet!

New Disneyland App: it was super convenient however I couldn't get the wait times to refresh so I would have to close it out and reopen it every time I wanted updated times. I heard someone else saying they did the same thing.

All in all we had a fantastic trip, I can't wait to go back as usual. However I think next up is a Disney Cruise so it might be two years before we return, sigh.

Well that turned out pretty lengthy. I'm happy to answer any questions!

Last edited:
Such a relief and nice to know there are honest people out there.

Doesn't that renew your faith in people. We lost a phone once (actually I left it on top of the FP machine by Splash) and I was shocked when they called and said they had found it. In talking with the CM they say that it is actually unusual for items not to be recovered.

Sounds like you had a great trip!

Doesn't that renew your faith in people. We lost a phone once (actually I left it on top of the FP machine by Splash) and I was shocked when they called and said they had found it. In talking with the CM they say that it is actually unusual for items not to be recovered.

Sounds like you had a great trip!
Yes it really does! Nice to know there are good honest people out there!!!

We were there last week too. I thought the Monday crowd was heavy but it was better after that. We took advantage of the single rider option (we have teens). The heat really surprised us. We weren't expecting 95 AND humidity! It felt a lot like Orlando in August. I wasn't expecting that much heat or any humidity.

One thing I wish I had confirmed is that we could only get a 5 day park hopper. We blew a day on a short hop into DCA on Sunday thinking we could just add a day on like we do at WDW. No luck there. If we'd known that we would have skipped that trip into the parks.

we are always at SNA after hotel check out and really like the empty, quiet, decompression, that's all finished trip feel, always had good food. But we fly in late from PDX for the discount airline ticket, my paranoia of a high taxi bill with traffic so I have no idea of how empty it is at night.

Pain the Night: WOW, Disney outdid themselves with that one!!! It was so worth it to get a good spot and wait for that. We saw the 8:30 parade on Thurs. We got a spot at 7 right behind a bench. It was perfect and I'd choose that spot again. We were at the benches that are in front of Plaza Inn and faces the Friends statue. Shortly after we claimed our area people were filing in so I'm glad we got there when we did. I'd say find your spot at 6:45 to ensure there are places still available. Behind a bench was nice because you don't have anyone standing in front of you.

Your typo is perfect! If you want to see Paint the Night, it really is PAIN!!! Hours in advance is the only way to catch it proper.

We did Pain the Night as a dinner package and it still was a pain but really pretty!

We were there last week too. I thought the Monday crowd was heavy but it was better after that. We took advantage of the single rider option (we have teens). The heat really surprised us. We weren't expecting 95 AND humidity! It felt a lot like Orlando in August. I wasn't expecting that much heat or any humidity.

One thing I wish I had confirmed is that we could only get a 5 day park hopper. We blew a day on a short hop into DCA on Sunday thinking we could just add a day on like we do at WDW. No luck there. If we'd known that we would have skipped that trip into the parks.
In comparison to our usual Oct trip we loved going during this week, even Mon to us was great crowd wise. If it weren't for that darn heat and humidity it would've been absolutely perfect!

That's too bad you wasted that first day. I wish they still did the 7 day PH although I'm sure my DH is glad it's only 5 now lol.

Please leave a comment to Disney about the service at Cove Bar and CO. It's so important for management to hear about these kind of things so that there can be improvement where needed. We've never had bad service at CO, but I know others have reported poor experiences. So clearly something is going wrong somewhere. And I'm hearing more frequent complaints about Cove Bar and Ariel's, so management really needs to do something there.

Just got back yesterday from a quick trip, and it was Florida hot. Made me sort of sick, and I was tanking up on as much water and Gatorade as humanly possible. We took a nice break in the Animation building, and a few hours in the hotel. It was the first time I've been there when I was actually miserable. Sunday was fine, as there was a breeze. Saturday, nothing...

Please leave a comment to Disney about the service at Cove Bar and CO. It's so important for management to hear about these kind of things so that there can be improvement where needed. We've never had bad service at CO, but I know others have reported poor experiences. So clearly something is going wrong somewhere. And I'm hearing more frequent complaints about Cove Bar and Ariel's, so management really needs to do something there.
Yes I should do that. DH even spot to the manager at Cove Bar and she didn't really even seem to care. Took like $10 off our bill, didn't even apologize for our bad experience or anything.

Just got back yesterday from a quick trip, and it was Florida hot. Made me sort of sick, and I was tanking up on as much water and Gatorade as humanly possible. We took a nice break in the Animation building, and a few hours in the hotel. It was the first time I've been there when I was actually miserable. Sunday was fine, as there was a breeze. Saturday, nothing...
The breeze definitely helps, on our last day there wasn't one either which I think made it intolerable for the family thus our early retreat back to the hotel for an afternoon swim and shower before getting on the plane! Us Seattle folk just aren't used to 90 degrees at 10am plus humidity lol

It was in the 90s a few days we were there last September. Too hot to enjoy with small children and a husband that can't tolerate the heat. We vowed not to go back June- October! Hopefully November will have better weather!

It was in the 90s a few days we were there last September. Too hot to enjoy with small children and a husband that can't tolerate the heat. We vowed not to go back June- October! Hopefully November will have better weather!
Well I hope it's not too hot for you. When we were there in Nov 2013 we did have a hot day, low 90s I think but it didn't last all day like we experienced this trip (10am-6pm). If anything it would just be a few hours in the peak afternoon hours. Hopefully you'll get perfect weather!!!

ohhh I want to try the lobster nachos and now the bbq chicken baked potato :) I think I am going to have more foods to try than days in the park :rolleyes1

ohhh I want to try the lobster nachos and now the bbq chicken baked potato :) I think I am going to have more foods to try than days in the park :rolleyes1
I have so many "must eats" on my list now that I have a hard time fitting them all in! I would definitely go for the baked potato, it's a good filling meal for a reasonable price. I wasn't sure if I'd like the cole slaw on top but it really made the dish. Don't pass it up!!!

Thanks! We could definitely handle one 90 degree day by having more pool time! It was the three consecutive hot days in a row that did us in.

While I know weather is unpredictable, it seems like things ought to be more comfortable in the late fall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter