Ranch Packets

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by AuntieKels, Sep 17, 2012.

1. AuntieKels

AuntieKels Mouseketeer

I have found a few "budget friendly" and crock pot recipes that call for a packet of ranch dressing powder that I'd like to try. When I got to the store last week to pick up a packet (I've never bought it before) I found that they are $4.50 a packet!!! I was shocked - it cost almost half my budget for the meal!

Please tell me there is some ranch packet secret I don't know about. Can you get a big tub of it at Costco? I got a 24oz tub of taco seasoning at Costco for less than the 2oz ranch packet at the grocery store.

HELP!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Southernmiss

Southernmiss <font color=green>I am hazed everyday<br><font col

Yes, I bought a big container at Sams Club-which is similar to Costco.

4. chrissyt27

chrissyt27 DIS Veteran

I got a larger bottle at Costco. It was under $8 I am sure.

You can try to make your own, check Pinterest.

5. MSSANDRA

MSSANDRA DIS Veteran

Are you talking about the single pack of dry dressing ranch such as hidden valley brand? I buy it all the time and pay under 2.00 for it always! I have even bought the store brand for just over a 1.00. Maybe recheck the price?

6. powellrj

powellrj DIS Veteran

Kroger sells their brand for under $2 for I think its a 3 pack.

7. JennG

JennG Mouseketeer

The package you saw was probably a 2 or 3 pack.

8. 2BigKIdz

2BigKIdz Is it still winter!?!?!?!

I buy it all the time for recipes and have never paid $4.50 a packet, I think you may have been looking at the price for a box of 3 or 4 packets and not an individual packet, unless your grocery store is crazy expensive! I sometimes buy store brand and I think it is fine in a crock pot recipe but if I were using it for dip or dressing I would buy name brand.

9. jenndisney

jenndisney <font color=teal>Is this a tag? Am I dreaming? S

10. disneyhand

disneyhand DIS Veteran

A single packet of the ranch brand dry mix runs close to $4 at 2 of my local grocery stores.

11. mbf

mbf Mouseketeer

I purchased a big container of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix at my local BJ's Wholesale for about $6-7 and it was by far one of my best purchases ever. I love the ability to make a half recipe of the dressing or just use a little for seasoning in this or that. Definitely a good buy!

12. daughtersrus

daughtersrus DIS Veteran

I also bought a big container of it at Sam's Club but I saw that they were in the middle isle of our Aldi store for 43 Cents each. This isle is usually where they put the special purchases and I think that the price was marked down from 79 Cents

13. Kellydelly

Kellydelly DIS Veteran

I agree with the OP, Ranch mix packets are expensive for what it is. I pay close to $2 for one envelope.

14. 2Tiggers

2Tiggers DIS Veteran

When I buy a single pkg, it cost about $1.49-$1.79. I agree that the price you found has to be wrong. I would ask. You can buy the store brand for less but I have found I like the name brand better. I usually buy mostly off brand but this is one of those items that I feel is worth paying for the name brand.

I buy the big 8oz. hidden valley container at WalMart for $6 and some change. Can't remember the price exactly.

You can sprinkle it on your popcorn! Soooo Good!!:thumbsup2

15. pixiewings71

pixiewings71 <marquee><font color=deeppink>Sweet!!! Totally!!!!

I buy a 3 pack, or maybe it's a 2 pack or 4 pack, I'll have to check, for about $3 on average. I use 1 pack per recipe so that would be less per meal budget. I also buy the store brand at times and don't see a difference. I would look elsewhere or double check that price because YIKES!

16. ceecee

ceecee DIS Veteran

Yes, I buy it a lot and it's never been that much. Probably a 3 pack.

17. AuntieKels

AuntieKels Mouseketeer

I live inside a big city so my grocery store is locally owned with limited selection. They only had one packet size, one brand (Hidden Valley), and one packet per price.

I'm willing to take the bus out of the city to stock up on things but only if it's worth the trip. It sounds like going to Costco for ranch mix is the best idea.

Thanks everyone!

18. 2minnies

2minnies DIS Veteran

19. gardengalB4

gardengalB4 DIS Veteran

WOW!
    I picked one up today at the store-it was store brand-paid .40

20. Sagginit

Sagginit DIS Veteran

thanks for sharing the recipes! i too noticed that dried ranch mix and the dried italian dressing mix seemed to have jumped in price. i like to make my own but it is cheaper to buy a bottle on sale! i wanted ranch mix to make dip with greek yogurt but did not want to shell out the money

i like the idea of make your own since i keep most of these spices on hand anyways. just another way to save some $$$ :cool1:(and don't we all need it since the new fantasyland expansion is opening soon?:goodvibes).

21. RachaelA

RachaelA DIS Veteran

So Costco has the giant tub of it?