Rainforest Cafe... What do you guys think??

Oz Mum

Taking the kids to Disneyland Sept 2014 - my dream
Hi All,

Anyone been the Rainforest Café in Downtown Disney? Is it worth a visit?? We aren't planning on hitting Disneyland the afternoon we arrive, the kids have never been on a long flight (neither have we for over 10yrs) so I'm thinking we might not be feeling totally "fresh" but I'd still like to have a plan in mind of something special we could do to start our Disney Adventure. I thought maybe a wander around Downtown Disney & dinner. Any idea's or feedback???

We went there on our last visit (2009) and enjoyed it. From memory the meals were quite large (but then again most US meals are so I'm not sure why I was surprised...). Afterwards we went for a walk through the restaurant, including the upstairs part. The jungle theming is very well done.

We'd flown in from NY that day, and whilst it's not as long a trip as from NZ/Aust, just wandering around Downtown Disney and having a very late lunch at RC was a nice relaxing way to spend a few hours and also get us in the Disney spirit for our park visit the next day (because it had been 3 days since we'd been immersed in the Disney spirit at WDW :rotfl:).

I'm not sure. About 7-8 years ago I went to the Rainforest Cafe in another US city (can't remember which) and really didn't like it. It was such a sensory overload, and was so very loud, that I was happy to get out of there.

Now that I have a child, I may view it differently, and may even give it another try one day. I'm just not sure I would want that day to be one when I'm feeling a tad tired and grumpy from a long flight.

As for exploring DTD, that sounds like a nice slow-paced way of spending your first day.

I think you will be pretty shattered after the long flight so a nice walk and early dinner would be your best bet. We went to Rainforest Cafe last trip. It is quite noisy, but fun. My meal was surprisingly tasty. Kids enjoyed themselves. It does get pretty busy so earlier the better if you don't have a reservation.

As previously stated Rainforest Cafe is busy and loud (and relatively expensive). That said it is fun, so if your children are older and can handle the sensory overload without loosing the plot (when tired) I would say it is a good idea. If they are younger and maybe over tired from the day I would give it a miss. Downtown Disney is still a great idea for the afternoon - the Disney shop will certainly help you get in the mood.

I would recommend rethinking RFC the day you arrive. We had an early booking the day we arrived 3 years ago, around 5:30pm, and almost fell asleep in our food LOL. We enjoyed the food, and have already made a reservation for our April trip, but for our 2nd night. Maybe this time I will remember something more than onion rings and being seated in a dark corner!

Thanks for the replies guys - I'm so excited, feel like I'm going to burst!!

Maybe the best bet is to just play it by ear & hope that it's not booked out if we feel energised & decide to go for dinner :) I'm sure there are lots of other options if RC doesn't work out but a stroll around Downtown Disney the day we arrive will be on my wish list for sure!!

Hi All,

Anyone been the Rainforest Café in Downtown Disney? Is it worth a visit?? We aren't planning on hitting Disneyland the afternoon we arrive, the kids have never been on a long flight (neither have we for over 10yrs) so I'm thinking we might not be feeling totally "fresh" but I'd still like to have a plan in mind of something special we could do to start our Disney Adventure. I thought maybe a wander around Downtown Disney & dinner. Any idea's or feedback???

Hi Oz Mum we went to rainforest cafe last year. It's very noisy and my 3 year old was freaked at the screeches of the monkeys and the big snake on roof. I wouldn't recommend going the day yo arrive maybe just chill at down town Disney and do a reservation for rainforest the next evening maybe?

The food at rainforest isn't all that great but I loved it simply for the coronaritas!!! Ask to be seated in a quiet area near the aquariums

Our kids love RC - it is the place they always pick for dinner and now breakfast. Like others have said the food is not great but portions are huge and cocktails are very good. I would warn any littlies about the storms and noises - our then 2yo hated the gorilla in 2012 but in 2013 was perfectly fine because he knew what happens.

We have been to Rainforest Cafe many many times over the years and we love it. We have done it many times on arrival night (at Disneyland mainly, TRex has become our preference at WDW) and always love it. But unless you are going to go late afternoon (outside "normal" meal times), I wouldn't go without a booking as the wait without one can be very very long! It is a great restaurant, the food isn't 5 star or anything, but it's decent, the menu is huge and it's something that you won't find here in Australia. The theming is great! Share the Volcano for dessert, it's delicious. We have a landry's card now so don't have to wait as long but definitely book if you decide to go.

Thanks for all the replies - it sure does sound unreal, like nothing my kids have ever seen before!! Really looking forward to checking it out :)

We have been to Rainforest Cafe many many times over the years and we love it. We have done it many times on arrival night (at Disneyland mainly, TRex has become our preference at WDW) and always love it. But unless you are going to go late afternoon (outside "normal" meal times), I wouldn't go without a booking as the wait without one can be very very long! It is a great restaurant, the food isn't 5 star or anything, but it's decent, the menu is huge and it's something that you won't find here in Australia. The theming is great! Share the Volcano for dessert, it's delicious. We have a landry's card now so don't have to wait as long but definitely book if you decide to go.

:thumbsup2

We're going to grab one of those Landry's cards, we'll be able to use it enough :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter