Rain with a baby

tinkerbellmom31

Mouseketeer
We will be traveling with a 4 month old in a few weeks. We have a stroller with rain cover and a boba carrier. I may be over thinking things but if its pouring and your transferring to rides or different forms of transportation, how do you keep baby protected? Do you use a poncho for baby? With the crowds an umbrella will poke people. Seems a carrier under a Mickey poncho will be suffocating. Any tips or idea?

I am unsure when you are traveling, but I am guessing if the baby came in May and he will be 4 months in Late September/October. Rain storms are not as frequent at that time as they are in the summer time. You might be a little over thinking it. It will be okay if you, the baby and the boba gets wet. I am guessing that if it is raining hard you will just take cover somewhere instead of trying to walk around. If you are really worried the poncho that is coving the person that is carrying the baby will be fine. It will be hot and uncomfortable for both people but if it is for a short amount of time it shouldn't be an issue.

I am taking my 4 month old in October and this issue isn't even on my radar.

We went at just about the same time last year- end of September, beginning of October. Of the 8 days we were there it rained-POURED-for about half the trip. We brought our almost 4 month old with us. I carried him most of the time in a babyhawk carrier. I cut a hole in my poncho for his face to peek through and carried an umbrella at times as well to make sure he wasn't getting wet. I don't believe I poked anyone with my umbrella :) It was not stuffy in the poncho, but we made sure to dress the baby just in a simple short sleeve onesie so he wouldn't get hot under the poncho. We brought our double stroller (we have 2 other children) and made sure we brought along our rain cover for the stroller also. Yes, there were times I got wet but made sure the carrier NEVER got wet, that would have been too uncomfortable for the baby. He was probably the dryest member of the family on the trip! Good luck, I'm sure you'll have a great time and from the sounds of it, you'll be prepared for the weather!

This likely sounds like common sense, but be very careful if you're covering a baby in a carrier with a poncho to make sure there is enough ventilation! There have been babies suffocated this way in very short times!

We traveled with a 10 week old and it rained a few times. We found the rain cover for our stroller too cumbersome, so we just hopped inside when possible to stay dry. He got wet a few times, but it's so warm it made no difference really!

Thanks everyone, my kids are teens and 20 now, so it's been awhile since I had to worry about these things. We are bringing along the grandson this time and I remember it being rainy 2 years ago in September. We leave on the 15th and I'm so excited just trying to be sure we are prepared.

The baby and poncho thing scares me. I'm just praying for small bursts of rain.

I used an umbrella several times in the parks and I didn't have any problems with poking anyone. People tend to scatter and take cover when it rains, so you might find some of the paths are fairly empty. I think you would be fine having the baby in a carrier and using an umbrella to keep you both dry. Just use a small folding umbrella. If you want to stay a little dryer, you could buy some cheap ponchos and cut them down one side to open them up. Use the poncho like a shawl. Wrap it around your back, around the baby, and tuck it into the baby carrier. This would keep you and the baby dry without having the poncho over his face. Use an umbrella to keep your heads dry and you should be good.

A good cover for the stroller has been sufficient for us. If it's really pouring, we just wait where it's dry. If it looks like rain, be SURE to have the cover on the stoller before you head to the attraction. That was the primary use of our rain cover--keeping the stroller dry if it started raining while we were in an attraction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter