• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rain Forecasted Every Day!

Our Disney ponchos go back more years than I can guess at. They're the yellow ones which aren't sold at Disney any more. I believe all of them are clear now and I'm sure it's a "security" thing. You used to be able to tell if people had been to Universal by the color of those ponchos too.
We've thought about buying the rip stop ones that were mentioned, but for now we have two sets -- one yellow and one clear set -- and we take them along even if no rain is predicted.
It's nice to think that a shower will just cool things off, but lately they've been real downpours here where we live (about an hour north of Disney) and they just leave everything more humid. There is a nice breeze going BEFORE the rain hits. :-)

Funny how the weather forecast turns into this huge save the Planet debate. While you're all at it why don't you tell everyone who should be the next President and why:rotfl2:

Don't worry. It always rains almost every day for a short time, and it dies down later in the afternoon.

See this "blob" off the coast of Florida? :goodvibes It's named 96L (invest).

2008AL96_1KMSRVIS_200807171945.GIF

The rain bands from this is what have been giving us our rainy weather the last couple days. If we could get that to move on out (and then not turn into a tropical system) as it originally was supposed to do, we could return to our "normal" weather!

Everyone in FL now take a big breath and blow it out to sea :cheer2:

You beat me to it........with that blob sitting out there it's gonna be rain, rain & more rain!! Just looking at the state today it was pretty much covered through the middle with rain all day. I know we need the rain, but we could spread it out just a wee bit....LOL.....:lmao:

Anyways, definitely throw a poncho in, we take them even in September when we go because our Florida weather is so unpredictable.

Enjoy Disney!!!:cutie:

They really dry so quickly that there is no chance of smelling musty.:thumbsup2

Now, who should be President?????:confused3

How about one who could make it stop raining during the hours that WDW operates!!:wizard:

I'd like to thank "Zeebs" for her comment about re-using ponchos instead of buying disposable ones. I think it's a great tip and I appreciate her concern for our environment.

I have a poncho that I bought at AK when it first opened 10 years ago! It's so cool - it's tan and has safari Mickey on the back. People always ask me where I got it but they don't sell them anymore. Those things absolutely last forever and I've never had a problem shaking it off, stuffing it in my bag and carrying it around. It's definitely a "must have" for summer in FL! Believe me though, the rain will feel fabulous after walking around in the heat!

Welcome to Florida in the summer!

The good news is you won't melt AND when it's 90+ degrees and 90% humidity, the rain will feel great!

This will be my last post on this subject because my question on reusing them seems to have bothered and upset so many people,

BUT SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!

I personally would not do that because I carry a camera bag. I don't think I would want to put a cheap WET poncho in with my $1400 camera.

You are right - to each his own. It is sad that people cannot do what they want without getting a lecture about saving the planet. There are much larger things for people to be concerned over.

To the OP. I took an afternoon break when the storms were expected. We took our naps and headed back out after. If we didn't take a break that day it was fine too because everyone else would hide and it was easier to get around.

As for saving the planet, I don't see what is wrong with that. If the "planet savers" are all wrong we have lost nothing. If the 50 pancho users per trip people are wrong we may be screwed. I'd err on the side of caution.

Time for me to go cut down a few trees. I need firewood becaues I can't afford oil!

I personally would not do that because I carry a camera bag. I don't think I would want to put a cheap WET poncho in with my $1400 camera.

You are right - to each his own. It is sad that people cannot do what they want without getting a lecture about saving the planet. There are much larger things for people to be concerned over.

Off topic - Oh, I am so with Zeebs on this one! Come on! People always "doing what they want" is why the planet is in such bad shape!

On topic. We bring our own ponchos from home. I bought them at Target, and they have lasted me for several years now. We keep them in baggies, except for my oldest who sticks his back in the pocket of his cargo shorts. I plan to keep using them until we need to buy new ones.

jezebella said:
Why would you have to do all that? I just turn mine inside out, fold 'em back up and stuff them in my bag....Maybe it's because we go so much, we don't really carry any other stuff in our "park bag" except a bottle of water and a water fan. All water=no big deal.

Sigh...I guess to each their own

This will be my last post on this subject because my question on reusing them seems to have bothered and upset so many people,

BUT SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!
Off topic - Oh, I am so with Zeebs on this one! Come on! People always "doing what they want" is why the planet is in such bad shape! ...
You guys are upset with her because she doesn't want to put a wet poncho in with expensive camera gear? Are you serious?

I get that you want to do your part for the environment, and it's totally fine for you to mention this when you state that you don't use disposable ponchos. However, you both need to get over yourselves and lay off. We're all adults (presumably). We will make up our own minds on this issue and do what we decide is correct. We do not ever need you to be our compasses.

Take it from someone who works at "The World" -- we have had rain every day now for probably close to 2 weeks, very few days without it. And it's not the "20-minutes in the afternoon." The majority of the days it starts around 5:00 and *pours* ... and lasts for hours. We've even had rain into the late night, which has been rare.

Next week I think they have the forecasts down to 30% chance, compared to 70-80% chance recently.

We've been at a deficit for a couple of years and I think this has helped enormously now. As long as those rain showers don't have a Hurricane Name attached to it, I'll take it.

I don't mean to be rude but couldn't you just "be bothered" with drying a reusable poncho and not fill up the landfills with more "disposable" plastic. Really does it take that much time out of your trip to hang it up at the end of the day in the shower?:confused:

Kirsten

I second that motion!

I'm quite certain this topic's been beaten to death, and I'm sure none of us is going to change anyone else's mind on the poncho issue. I for one, am going on to other more enjoyable Disney topics.
Good day to all!

i am more surprised when it doesnt rain in the afternoon. some of the best times we had was during a blowing rainstorm in epcot. we all bought ponchos and proceeded to walk under SSE and started making penguin noises and doing the penguin waddle walk. people thought we were crazy but we were having fun just sloshing around. we walked over and had the run of WS. does not happen too often in july.

if they call for day long showers then what are you going to do stay in the resort all day? nah!! buy a reusable poncho and just have fun. the parks will be a bit emptier. one tip. we always carry a towel with us in a plastic bag. 2 reasons, to dry us off when we get to an attraction and a place to put our ponchos in. a regular supermarket sized one held 4 mickey ponchos and a small towel rather easily

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter