Rain at Disneyland?

MerryJ

Earning My Ears
We are going to be at Disneyland for the first time at the end of May and beginning of June. I have been reading all these Disney tips, but many of them are talking about Florida. Lots of information seems like it would be useful to both places, but I am wondering about rain. It sounds like it regularly rains every afternoon in Florida. My impression is that this isn't true in California.

Should I pack ponchos for the family and a rain cover for the stroller, or is it so unlikely to be necessary that I shouldn't bother? I will be travelling alone with my 19 month old and meeting my husband and older boys down there, so I don't want to bring more than is necessary!

If we do need ponchos, can I pick them up at Target down there? I honestly don't think I have ever seen such a thing for sale around here. We have heavy duty rain coats we use for camping, but that seems like it might be overkill!

Thanks for your help!

I would continue to check the weather as your trip gets closer. If rain is in the forecast, I would bring the rain cover for your stroller...just in case. If not, then don't bring it.
If it does rain, they sell ponchos at DL for less than $10.

I just looked at the GFS and ECMWF weather models. The models don't show any hint of any precepitation for that period or for matter of fact, any period in the near future.

Don't bother with ponchos for Disneyland. That time of year is extremely dry statistically. Late Spring and Summers are quite arid. Our first trip was last October and even then we didn't see a drop of rain over the entire week we were there.

I love the rain in Disneyland but do not expect it to happen while you are there. Really is is not much of anything that is the same with the two parks especially the weather. Stay on this board you can learn a lot about DLR.

Jack

In all the years I've been going to Disneyland, I've never experienced rain during the summer. Now, Jan & Feb - yes, but not the summer.

I think it's rare for it to be rainy in May? One of my favorite rain trips to Disneyland was in late February 08. The park was incredibly slow and our family rode so many rides by 12:30pm it shocked us all. Rain ponchos are ok but I prefer a light weight North Face rain jacket. They aren't to pricey and defiantly do the trick for all kinds of outdoor rainy events.*

I've lived in S. CA for over 25 years and it never rained between May and October until the last two summers when it rained once each summer. In fact two summers ago when I woke up and heard rain I thought I was hearing things. I couldn't believe it was raining in July--VERY, VERY strange for us.

We are going to be at Disneyland for the first time at the end of May and beginning of June.

That said you will very likely experience "June Gloom" we call it. Most if not all of June (and it often starts early in May some time) we experience very overcast, "gloomy" skies. The cloud cover usually burns off between 11am and 1pm. It will look like rain, but it won't.

It is very unlikely to rain on you, but just because I said that, this will be the strange year it does :upsidedow

CA and FL are completely different beasts. I won't go to WDW without rain ponchos, but at DL rain is not common in summer. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen. We were rained on in July -- I think it was 2006! :)

Take it from a SoCal native, it doesn't rain during that time of the year. What you might experience is something called May Grey or June Gloom. What that is basically referring to is the morning on-shore flow that stay into the afternoon and doesn't burn off. For the most part, Disneyland is far enough inland where it does burn off but every now and again, you might get some really strong on-shore flow. It doesn't rain when this happens but the temperature does stay on the cooler side. During this time of year, you're going to be ok wearing flip flops, shorts, t-shirt and a litle jacket depending on how late you plan to stay out at dlr/dca.

Summer time usually does bring one totally random quick rain but if you know anything about southern california rain, it'll rain for about 30 minutes and then clear up and turn sunny so again, don't even worry about it.

Have fun.

On a side note, please don't ever compare Southern California with Florida. :)

We have gotten rain in late May and early June, but it's very unlikely. However, last year on May 30th we received quite a bit of rain. We even received snow in our local mountains. But, I can tell you with the model agreement we have and the MJO in it's current phase, you won't experience any rain. That time frame is too far out right, but it does show as a possible heat wave for that time period. It's inside 300 hours, but still quite a ways out.

Weather forcast for summer:

Disneyland
Low of 62, light fog before 11am. Otherwise, light clouds through mid morning becoming sunny by afternoon, with a high near 78.

Disneyworld
Low of 85 followed by searing heat and intense humidity by early morning. Afternoon hot as hell, followed by drenching rain. Continued heat after dark with increasing chance of miserable conditions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter