Quiet restaurants?

Fancychicken

Earning My Ears
Are there any TS restaurants or lounges that you would describe as noticeably quiet? I know it's Disney, and there will always be crowds, but here is my dilemma: I have a husband who gets migraines, has trouble with sensory overload, hearing troubles with background noise, and really needs some meals with a certain amount of, shall we say, serenity.

Any suggestions?

I don't want to spend and arm and a leg for this serenity, either, so 2-TS credit restaurants are probably not for us. (No dining plan, but I'm using that as code for "really expensive".)

Thanks!

The only one I can think of that's always quiet is the GF Afternoon Tea (for non signature price range).

The blue zoo lounge is very quiet early in the evening.

None of the restaurants on the dining plan are consistently quiet. Dining at off hours at resort restaurants might help. Sanaa, the Wave, GF Cafe, Turf Club are sometimes quiet.

Skip all park restaurants.

Hah...you have to pay for quiet dining at Disney! :rotfl2:

Obviously, signature restaurants (2TS) would be the quietest (less kids, more couples trying to have romantic dinners, etc.). I think it also depends when you eat. If you book a non-primetime ressie, there will likely be less people in the restaurant. I seem to remember that Grand Floridian Cafe was quieter, but we were there for a 5:00 reservation, so maybe before the crowd arrived. The Wave at the Contemporary might be a good option, too.

Some restaurants are just really loud and noisy and full of people almost all the time. If you avoid the rush times by modifying your dining time, you will have better luck. Some restaurants may be able to seat you further away from others, you'd have to tell them at the podium and hopefully they are accomodating, in some restaurants that's not possible.

Territory Lounge at WL can be quite quiet, not a full menu though.

Captain's Grille can be very quiet too depending on when you dine, if you hit it after the breakfast rush (10:30 ish) and dinner rush (after 8:30 ish).

Mama Melrose's also can be relaxed. As well as Grand Floridian Cafe, Kona Cafe, Olivia's Cafe. Depends on timing mostly, and a little luck. Sometimes it's best to take the last dinner reservation time, or last breakfast time available.

Disney has taken the approach of many restaurants these days -- the noisier they are, the more party-like the ambience and the more likely patrons are to spend their money. Hence, nearly every restaurant has an open kitchen. There are very few that play any soft music that would help tone down the din.

Noise is one of dh's and my biggest complaints about Disney restaurants.

You can get some quieter experiences at signature restaurants but it's not easy. It's even harder at the 1TS restaurants. In fact, it might just be nearly hopeless.

Here are my thoughts given you are not on the dining plan but want to keep the price down. (Even though you aren't on the dining plan, I refer to restaurants as 1TS that are less expensive than the signature restaurants.)

1. Dine at off times (later in the afternoon for lunch and after 9 pm for dinner) and, at signature restaurants, ask for the wine room if there is one.

This is no guarantee mind you. We were once dining late in the wine room at Jiko. It was 10 pm. We got concerned when we saw them setting up a large table next to ours with three toddler seats and a high chair. We said something to the waiter and they then rearranged things and set up a table across the room for the party. About 10:15 pm here comes a large group with a baby and three toddlers. Apparently, the wine room waiter was the one working latest so that's why they were put in the wine room. Before we knew it the toddlers were squealing while having sommersault races across the room. It was only when they started hanging from the beaded curtains that the manager stepped in. So signature dining in the wine room is no guarantee of quiet, but it sometimes helps.

2. I agree that afternoon tea at the GF is generally quiet. Music does start at 3 pm. We enjoy the pianist but not the singer who sometimes sings with him.

3. I do not agree that GF Cafe is quiet. It used to be and was a favorite of ours. Not anymore. As with all 1TS restaurants these days, it's packed and noisy.

4. We have had somewhat quieter meals at Olivia's and Turf Club. Sanaa is only quieter if you dine very late -- otherwise it's full of big families who are occupying the DVC villas.

5. I find Mama Melrose to be sensory overload. Very busy with Frank Sinatra playing. Waiting for a table in the front is a particular trial.

6. Liberty Tree Tavern might be okay for a late lunch. Don't do dinner.

7. Fulton's Crab House is often quieter for a late lunch, as is Portabello Yacht Club. Both are at DownTown Disney.

8. We've had a quiet lunch at the Chinese restaurant at Epcot. Forget dinner there.

9. The upstairs at Yak and Yeti can be quieter for a late lunch or a late dinner.

Unfortunately, as I think about it, quiet dining at WDW is pretty much hopeless, especially since the advent of the Dining Plan. There is some possibility at the signature restaurants if you dine later. Otherwise, you just have to be prepared for noise.

The Grand Floridian Cafe can be fairly quiet especially off peak times. We have also had a nice quiet meal at Olivias and the turf bar and Grill at SSR.

My parents and I had a very quiet meal at the GF cafe in February. It was a late dinner - 8:45 pm, if I remember correctly.

We tend to eat lunch early (around 11am) before the crowds arrive, so often have a quiet lunch. Columbia Harbor House is our favorite "quiet" lunch in MK... go early and eat upstairs (most people don't even know it exists). We've also had quiet lunches at Le Cellier, San Angel Inn, Yak & Yeti, and Sanaa due to getting ealry ADRs before it started getting crowded.

We tend to eat dinner a little later (plenty of snacks in between to tide us over), usually around 9pm. I don't recall any dinners that were specifically "quiet" (maybe Captain's Grille at YC) since the restaurants seem to stay pretty busy at dinner. A few have been downright loud, but most are just average noise for a restaurant.

We always have an early lunch since we are at the gates very early. Usually we are the first ADR of the day and are standing there when they open. Most every TS restaurant (except Sci-fi) is quiet then. Try to make your lunch ADR's for 11:30.

If you are the first seating like we usually are it will be the quietest part of the day.

The only restaurant I can say is consistently quiet would be Bistro de Paris. Probably because they are not on the DDP but I don't think they are as expensive as most signature restaurants.

Disney has taken the approach of many restaurants these days -- the noisier they are, the more party-like the ambience and the more likely patrons are to spend their money. Hence, nearly every restaurant has an open kitchen. There are very few that play any soft music that would help tone down the din.

Noise is one of dh's and my biggest complaints about Disney restaurants.

You can get some quieter experiences at signature restaurants but it's not easy. It's even harder at the 1TS restaurants. In fact, it might just be nearly hopeless.

Here are my thoughts given you are not on the dining plan but want to keep the price down. (Even though you aren't on the dining plan, I refer to restaurants as 1TS that are less expensive than the signature restaurants.)

1. Dine at off times (later in the afternoon for lunch and after 9 pm for dinner) and, at signature restaurants, ask for the wine room if there is one.

This is no guarantee mind you. We were once dining late in the wine room at Jiko. It was 10 pm. We got concerned when we saw them setting up a large table next to ours with three toddler seats and a high chair. We said something to the waiter and they then rearranged things and set up a table across the room for the party. About 10:15 pm here comes a large group with a baby and three toddlers. Apparently, the wine room waiter was the one working latest so that's why they were put in the wine room. Before we knew it the toddlers were squealing while having sommersault races across the room. It was only when they started hanging from the beaded curtains that the manager stepped in. So signature dining in the wine room is no guarantee of quiet, but it sometimes helps.

2. I agree that afternoon tea at the GF is generally quiet. Music does start at 3 pm. We enjoy the pianist but not the singer who sometimes sings with him.

3. I do not agree that GF Cafe is quiet. It used to be and was a favorite of ours. Not anymore. As with all 1TS restaurants these days, it's packed and noisy.

4. We have had somewhat quieter meals at Olivia's and Turf Club. Sanaa is only quieter if you dine very late -- otherwise it's full of big families who are occupying the DVC villas.

5. I find Mama Melrose to be sensory overload. Very busy with Frank Sinatra playing. Waiting for a table in the front is a particular trial.

6. Liberty Tree Tavern might be okay for a late lunch. Don't do dinner.

7. Fulton's Crab House is often quieter for a late lunch, as is Portabello Yacht Club. Both are at DownTown Disney.

8. We've had a quiet lunch at the Chinese restaurant at Epcot. Forget dinner there.

9. The upstairs at Yak and Yeti can be quieter for a late lunch or a late dinner.

Unfortunately, as I think about it, quiet dining at WDW is pretty much hopeless, especially since the advent of the Dining Plan. There is some possibility at the signature restaurants if you dine later. Otherwise, you just have to be prepared for noise.

Wow, thanks for all your suggestions. I'm sorry but I'm rolling with laughter imagining the toddlers in the wine room!:rotfl2: You are right! If you can't find quiet at 10pm in the wine room of a signature restaurant, quiet dining in Disney must be hopeless!

We tend to eat lunch early (around 11am) before the crowds arrive, so often have a quiet lunch. Columbia Harbor House is our favorite "quiet" lunch in MK... go early and eat upstairs (most people don't even know it exists). We've also had quiet lunches at Le Cellier, San Angel Inn, Yak & Yeti, and Sanaa due to getting ealry ADRs before it started getting crowded.

We tend to eat dinner a little later (plenty of snacks in between to tide us over), usually around 9pm. I don't recall any dinners that were specifically "quiet" (maybe Captain's Grille at YC) since the restaurants seem to stay pretty busy at dinner. A few have been downright loud, but most are just average noise for a restaurant.

Thanks for your suggestions. San Angel & Captain's Grille were already on my list. Sounds like we are on the right track. Columbia Harbor House was our favorite last trip, upstairs of course!

We always have an early lunch since we are at the gates very early. Usually we are the first ADR of the day and are standing there when they open. Most every TS restaurant (except Sci-fi) is quiet then. Try to make your lunch ADR's for 11:30.

If you are the first seating like we usually are it will be the quietest part of the day.

The only restaurant I can say is consistently quiet would be Bistro de Paris. Probably because they are not on the DDP but I don't think they are as expensive as most signature restaurants.

I might have to try Bistro de Paris. Thank you for the suggestion!

I might have to try Bistro de Paris. Thank you for the suggestion!

Bistro de Paris is now Monsieur Paul and its 2 credits on the dining plan. This restaurant went on the plan in 2011 and is quieter than other Epcot restaurants but its not quiet.

I would definitely recommend The Wave. It's very laid back and relaxing with a very subtle atmosphere. The food is very good and reasonable. We enjoy all meals here but we ESPECIALLY love the buffet breakfast (although they have other options for breakfast).

It's rarely "very" busy (ok maybe during popular holidays like Christmas) but even when it is busy the acoustics keep the sound at a comfortable level. So, overall I think it is a great choice for all of the issues you mentioned.:thumbsup2

Feel free to check out our experience of The Wave (there is an option at the end of the review to click on for lunch and dinner reviews).

Our Experience at our favorite Buffet Breakfast at The Wave

Are there any TS restaurants or lounges that you would describe as noticeably quiet?

1) Lounges
. . . most hotel bars are quiet
. . . best are Territory (WL) and Mizner's (GF)
2) Restaurants
. . . quiet is not going to happen !
. . . best is to get there right at 5:00pm when they open
. . . kids usually start to arrive about 6:00pm or so
. . . best would be Citrio's (GF) and Artist Point (WL) and Wave (CR)
. . . worst would be ANY park eatery
. . . second worst would be Ohana (Poly), Nacoossee's (GF), Cali Grill (CR)
3) Rest Time
. . . the Afternoon Tea (GF) is almost always quiet and relaxing
. . . starts at 2:00pm daily

Artist Point. Amazingly delicious and ridiculously empty. 3 or 4 tables were filled while we were there. Soooooo underrated and underappreciated!

Artist Point. Amazingly delicious and ridiculously empty. 3 or 4 tables were filled while we were there. Soooooo underrated and underappreciated!

We love AP and dined there on our last visit and we were one of the last tables to sit. While it is "usually" on the "quiet" side on this particular visit there was a table close to us with 2 kids running around and jumping up and down and the parents were completely ignoring them (which does happen occasionally in WDW ;))...we were very pleased that they left before we were served our meal...:rolleyes:...so unfortunately you just never know.:sad2:

While I am not a big fan of Wave. It was quiet. Capt Grille too. IMO Kona can be loud as can GFC. I love both but I dont see them as quiet! GFC more so. RR at lunch was very quiet.

Hah...you have to pay for quiet dining at Disney! :rotfl2::lmao:I'll tell my DH that! Disdain for crowds might trump his thrifty genes!

Obviously, signature restaurants (2TS) would be the quietest (less kids, more couples trying to have romantic dinners, etc.). I think it also depends when you eat. If you book a non-primetime ressie, there will likely be less people in the restaurant. I seem to remember that Grand Floridian Cafe was quieter, but we were there for a 5:00 reservation, so maybe before the crowd arrived. The Wave at the Contemporary might be a good option, too.

Might try the Wave. I've never really had a chance to tour the Contemporary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter