Quick Service versus Table Service Dining: Please Help Me Decide

Shelli_5

Wants a Haunted Mansion Dooney & Bourke purse!
During past trips, I've always eaten at one table service restaurant per day, usually for dinner. I'm thinking about sticking to quick service during my upcoming solo trip in October to save money & avoid wasting food. (I had weight loss surgery last year & still can't eat very much.) I also think that having the flexibility to eat when I'm hungry instead of when I have an ADR will be a good thing. I just worry about the quality & variety of food choices at quick service locations. And it's weird to think about doing things differently this time & wondering if I'll be happy. I would love some feedback from people who have done both types of eating during their trips.

Thanks,
Shelli

I eat mostly quick service on my trips, with about three or four table service meals on an eight-day trip. I almost every breakfast in my room (cereal, fruit, etc.), which saves both money and time. I find there are lots of CS restaurants to choose from at most of the parks and at DTD. Food is not a huge focus on my trips,a d I think CS meals are just fine for the most part!

And t's nice not to be tied to a bunch of table-serice reservations!

You could go off the meal plan all together and make a couple of ADR's or try walking up to table service and just eat an appetizer and dessert or something like that if you want more variety.

No worries. I spend just as much time looking at QS menus as I do table service because we love both. We have must do QS places we love but no must do table service. The quality of the food is pretty consistent but I wouldn't go to a value resort for breakfast. There is lots of variety.Stick with your plan and spend more time in the parks.

There is a ton of variety at the CS restaurants, it's all I can do to fit in one burger all week long.

You can always plan of CS locations and then add in a sit down or two when you are there. There is always Tutto Gusto in Epcot (no adrs), and some TS locations have bars when you can sit. There are also lounges in the deluxe resorts that serve food.

As many of the PPs have stated, there is plenty of variety in the QS restaurants at WDW. Spend some time looking at the menus to familiarize yourself with the offerings that most appeal to you. We usually do at least one QS meal per day and never have the same meal twice (unless we want to).

I would also suggest that you do the disney math and see if you wouldn't be better off just paying OOP. Especially after bariatric surgery, when you will be eating very limited portions of food. Even QS portions can be huge.

Make a few TS reservations if you want, but probably stay away from the buffets and all you can eat places. At the a la carte restaurants you can just order an appetizer or a small entree and not worry about the money you'd be wasting if on a dining plan.

We do quick service 99.9% of the time.

There are a lot of choices out there. I was going to list some of them but I could probably make a shorter list of the places that only have burgers and fries.

Something to keep in mind is that the bars at the deluxe resorts allow you to order food and they're walk-up seating. You can order an appetizer instead of a meal but still have the "feel" of a TS meal and flexibility of no ADRs. It's easy to pop over to one of the Monorail resorts on a MK day or a Crescent Lake resort on a DHS or Epcot day.

On an Epcot day I'd probably actually check out some of the food around the World Showcase. You can grab things like egg rolls, sushi, bratwurst, tacos and other non-meal foods that are savory. In MK you can also get egg rolls, roasted nuts, baked sweet potatoes and chili at some of the snack stands. In AK at Yak & Yeti you can get things like a container of fried rice or other small asian dishes at their to go counter. At DHS I'd probably book an ADR at a restaurant that has appetizers that look interesting like maybe the crab cakes at DHS. Don't forget about fruit.

During past trips, I've always eaten at one table service restaurant per day, usually for dinner. I'm thinking about sticking to quick service during my upcoming solo trip in October to save money & avoid wasting food. (I had weight loss surgery last year & still can't eat very much.) I also think that having the flexibility to eat when I'm hungry instead of when I have an ADR will be a good thing. I just worry about the quality & variety of food choices at quick service locations. And it's weird to think about doing things differently this time & wondering if I'll be happy. I would love some feedback from people who have done both types of eating during their trips.

Thanks,
Shelli

For a 10 day trip we normally do 3-4 ADRs (lunch or dinner depending). On days we have an ADR we don't eat much else. If we have a big lunch we might snack in the evening if we are hungry. If we have a big dinner we eat a light lunch in anticipation of the big dinner. On other days we do a combo of quick service and snacks (or order room service pizza). We certainly eat good and don't go hungry. We don't really like to be tied down to ADRs and like to go with the flow. This plan has worked great for us :thumbsup2

Thank you so much for all the great ideas! I never thought about ordering an appetizer at a deluxe resort's bar. That would give me both flexibility & something good to eat. Your posts have encouraged me to "think outside the box" on this trip. I really appreciate it.

Shelli

On our first two family trips (7 days long) we did the quick service dining plan with no ADR's. WE LOVED IT! We had lots of flexibility to park hop and eat and do whatever we wanted without worrying about reservations.

On our third trip (12 days long) we did the TS dining plan with an ADR everyday. WE LOVED IT! We toured differently and slower and did not get park hoppers.

So there you have it! We love both!
Try just the quick service plan. It's terrific and I found we really stuffed ourselves too much with the TS ADR's.

I don't make ADRs for every day during my trips anymore. For a 10 day trip I'll have about 4 or 5. There are lots of quick dining places where you can get good food. Columbia Harbor House is a favorite, Pecos Bills too. Epcot has plenty of choices and Animal Kingdom has several good options.

You'll be fine..have a good trip!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter