Quick Holiday Trip - Advice Needed

jpeden

DIS Veteran
Good Evening Everyone!

My wife and I are planning a short, three-night getaway to WDW November 27-30 (can't book until my work does our Holiday schedule - SO FRUSTRATING...anyways). Our plan is to arrive around noon on the 27th and do Downtown Disney, and then have dinner at 'Ohana (I was able to secure this ADR somehow within a 60 day window). Our next day will be a park day, with a one-day park hopper (I know, horrible value) so we can see both EPCOT and the Osborne Lights at DHS. The final day is MVMCP.

My question is as follows: right now, my plan is two nights at Port Orleans - Riverside and then the last night (w/ MVMCP) at the Wilderness Lodge. While we'd LOVE to be able to stay at WL for the entire stay, it's not in the cards for this trip as we just went to WDW in September and this is an impromptu trip to see the lights (but since we're gonna be there, we're trying to maximize). Is this a crazy idea for such a short trip, or is it worth it? My plan was to check out early on Sunday and send all the luggage w/ Bell Services and then we plan to do a MK Resort tour so we can see all of the Christmas Decorations.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated from those who have been during this time of year.

We're doing the exact same thing, same dates! Trying to decide on our resort right now and leaning towards BWI. Personally, I don't think I would hop for such a short trip. I think I'd just stay put at POR. Either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself...and who knows, we may run into you :)

We're doing the exact same thing, same dates! Trying to decide on our resort right now and leaning towards BWI. Personally, I don't think I would hop for such a short trip. I think I'd just stay put at POR. Either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself...and who knows, we may run into you :)

We go in Nov most years these days. It's a great time to visit! I think that your plan sounds like a lot of fun!

Enjoy!

We are doing a super short trip right before Christmas (mainly for Osborne lights) and staying at POR for the first time. Our trip in April was at WL for 9 nights! This time will only be 4 nights. I wouldn't switch resorts for such a short trip. Of course, I have three kids so that makes it more difficult!

I probably wouldn't bother with Wilderness Lodge, it doesn't sound like you plan on spending a lot of time in the room. Why not just save the money and include Wilderness Lodge in your resorts tour?

I would not bother to switch resorts. On such a short trip how much time are you going o spend in order to enjoy it?Personally, I would save any extra money the WL resort would have cost and use it anywhere else.

WE planned a last minute trip so my DDIL and I could see the Lights one last time and I booked the least expensive moderate available on the Fall special. Some trips are all about the parks. That is what your trip sounds like to me.

That sounds like so much fun! While it is a shorter trip, you know exactly what you want to get done, and when you plan on getting it done! I think for your type of trip, it sounds like a great plan! Have a wonderful time!:goodvibes

I just wanted to stop by and say thanks for everyone's advice. We've decided to forego the split stay and just do three nights, but at Port Orleans - French Quarter instead of Riverside. We like the idea of the resort being more compact. We're putting the cost difference into getting two day park-hoppers instead of a one-day ticket so we have a little more flexibility. Thanks again!

I just wanted to stop by and say thanks for everyone's advice. We've decided to forego the split stay and just do three nights, but at Port Orleans - French Quarter instead of Riverside. We like the idea of the resort being more compact. We're putting the cost difference into getting two day park-hoppers instead of a one-day ticket so we have a little more flexibility. Thanks again!

I think you will be very happy at POFQ. My favorite Holiday trip was when we stayed there. This was not an impromptu vacation so we did have a longer stay, but with that said, it never got old. Our Holiday BC stay did.

The Lobby is lovely, all dressed in appropriate colors and theme, and throughout the grounds the Holiday music that is softly playing in the background is jazzy, bluesy, and oh so welcomed after the traditional holiday music that is prevalent everywhere else. Each morning as you walk along the streets, the sidewalks have been all freshly washed and bunnies peek out from beneath the plush greenery that lines the walkways. In the evenings there are often carriage rides that tour the resort and you hear the clip clop of hooves, it really is pretty neat!

If you decide to go to DTD during your stay, take the boat. During the day it is nice, but in the evening it is a pretty and relaxing way to return "home".

Thanks for that write up Nancyg56! That makes me excited to stay. We really a struggled between FQ and Riverside but decided that we liked the smaller scale of FQ and that since we are young and able, we can easily walk to POR if we want to see/do something over there. Hopefully my work approves holiday leave soon so I can book our trip!

Thanks for that write up Nancyg56! That makes me excited to stay. We really a struggled between FQ and Riverside but decided that we liked the smaller scale of FQ and that since we are young and able, we can easily walk to POR if we want to see/do something over there. Hopefully my work approves holiday leave soon so I can book our trip!

The walk is lovely. My niece is a runner and when she stayed with us she ran every evening between POR and POFQ. Now I cannot vouch for her experience because if I went with her 911 would have been the next call, but she said it was really beautiful. The lounge at POR is different than the one at POFQ, but both are nice, and there is entertainment at both resorts I believe. You can take the boat to POR and explore if you want, and certainly Boatwrights is a choice for dinner if you do not eat in one of the parks.

I liked the bar and patio out by the pool. I had run behind on my Holiday "chores" so I took my cards with me to write out and address. While my DD and family were resting I went out to the patio, ordered one of those marvelous cocktails and got started. Well I had over 100 cards to do, and at that time I used to write a note in each one and sign them all...no printed cards for me, (boy have I learned my lesson!) so I had another drink or may be two...I am not responsible for those last 25 cards! It was such a nice way to do this, though, warm in the sun with Holiday music all around, and pretty quiet otherwise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter