questions regarding HH...

debbiebones

Mouseketeer
Well...we're taking the kids to BCV in November and dh and I were going to go to a Caribbean Island next spring...however....other expenses have cropped up so an island trip might be out. I did start thinking though, we'll have 118 points leftover for our use year and maybe a trip to Hilton Head next spring would be more economical.

My questions for anyone...when in the spring is the best time to go..

which airports are accessible?

Is it a good choice for a vacation as a "couple"? We do like to golf and bicycle.

Thanks for any input,

Deb

I think that Hilton Head is a great couple's destination. The island has a ton of really good restaurants, the golf and tennis is tops, and there are bike trails everywhere (including on the beach). The landscape is lush, and the whole atmosphere is pretty romantic.

I don't know when in spring to go, except if I were you I'd go when the fewest schools have their spring break. But I don't know when that is.

We've driven both times we went, but there were actually pretty reasonable flights available into Hilton Head itself. You'll still need to rent a car, though, and I don't know what the rental prices are like on HHI. Savannah is another choice.

April should be a great time to visit Hilton Head. If you're lucky, you'll have great weather, but the ocean may still be a bit chilly. The pools are heated, though, so you can still use them.

I would try to avoid the times directly around Easter and also the week of the Heritage Golf Classic (I think that's the second week of April?). I don't have a calendar in front of me, but I think that may narrow down your choices a bit. ;)

Of course, the later in the month you go, the better your chances of warmer weather and maybe even a dip in the ocean.

Be careful when you're looking at flights. Commerical flights into Hilton Head are very limited. To confuse the matter further, the airport in Savannah has been renamed the Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport. So, you might think that you're flying directly to Hilton Head Island, but you're actually going into Savannah...

thanks for the tips! Yeah, I've already started checking on flights and they're pretty slim....especially if we want to use frequent flyer miles!

Since we won't have the kids, I'm thinking it might be nice and relaxing to drive down. I just mapped it out and it's about a 15 hour drive from our door to Disney's HH resort.

Thanks also for the golf classic info. Maybe end of April beginning of May would be best.

Deb

DH and I also thought HH was a great resort for couples to get away. As far as the "best" time, IMHO, any time is the best time for HH. We don't swim, love to bike, and the biking paths on the island are great. DH also loves to golf, and he considers HH a golfers paradise. Last year we went mid-March and thought the weather was perfect (although I hear it rained almost a week straight the week after we were there). In 2004, we're going in February-golf rates go up March 1, and last year there was a special on renting bikes in February. Hoping for both to save money. Oh, and since 1 nite is cash, be aware that room rates go up March 1. In February, we're paying $115 one nite and 85 points for a 1 BR for 5 nites. Such a deal!

One thing you'll appreciate is the "feel" of the resort. Like all DVC resorts, it's elaborately themed, and lavishly landscaped. And the villas sort of blend in with the low-country landscape. The whole thing is all of a piece. It's all very romantic.

We really were suprised by this. All of the photos we had seen of the resort show a big red-roofed "compound" sitting on a little island. It really doesn't look all that inviting. We were surprised, then, to find out how different things are once you get inside the perimeter of the resort. Disney's pictures really don't do this place justice.

We had stayed in a condo in Palmetto Dunes on our prior Hilton Head trip, and we thought that the DVC resort would suffer by comparison. But what a pleasant surprise, and what a beautiful resort!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!