Questions for those who have sailed DCL to Alaska

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by JLDSMD, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Yokelridesagain

Yokelridesagain Mouseketeer

Did get the balcony, and don't regret paying for it at all.

Did sit out there for hours reading/watching the scenery go by, etc. "Cold" is a matter of perspective/attire.

I do agree that if it came down to a choice between excursions and verandah, I would choose the excursions.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. meajuly5

meajuly5 DIS Veteran

Did you have to stay in one spot to get a good view? If so, how early do you have to carve out your spot? Can you get a good view if you aren't right up at the railing?

4. Presley

Presley Mouseketeer

There were some people who camped out in a certain spot, but the majority were very polite and took turns with the "railing" spot. Also, there is stuff to see all the way around the deck. You can get a good view from just about anywhere whether you are leaning on the railing or just walking around the deck.

5. Yokelridesagain

Yokelridesagain Mouseketeer

The only place where a "spot" is important/hard to get is at Tracy Arm...my tip there would be to go up on deck when the ship gets to the glacier and then look at the scenery of the fjord on the way back out...you will pass the same thing going out as coming in, and you won't be competing with everyone and their dog for prime viewing locations. The decks were largely empty on the way back out, and the captain even did a 'trick' turning the ship in a 360 arc for viewing of a waterfall.

Tracy Arm is also a location where, although you can see quite a bit from your verandah, the best viewing is going to be on the top deck.

6. meajuly5

meajuly5 DIS Veteran

Thanks! Silly ? -- I would like to get a good view if the glacier from the deck. If I cannot, will I have time to get to my balcony before missing good photo ops?

7. meajuly5

meajuly5 DIS Veteran

Thank you!

8. C&Apriputin

C&Apriputin Earning My Ears

We must have been on the same cruise!

9. C&Apriputin

C&Apriputin Earning My Ears

We had a 7a -- the navigator verandah and loved it. I booked the same thing for September 2014. We were constantly in and out, day and night. I loved the fact that I could lie on the bed and watch the mountains going by, shining in the sunrise....