Questions about POR

Luv2trav

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
Yes we changed our ressies AGAIN.... We just could justify the 2200.00 extra for CR(2 rooms)... After all this was suppose to be our BUDGET trip.

How is this resort for little ones? I have a 4 year old and 1 year old...We are renting a minivan so I don't plan on using the transportation.

What section should I request to be closest to the food and big pool? I don't like the AB section.

How is the food court?

How many floors are the buildings? I want to request top floor to limit noise.

We're going with 7, 5, and 2-year-olds, and have the same questions. And we're similar to you too, in that we were originally planning to go to WL but couldn't justify $1500 more (we're bringing the grandparents, so 2 rooms too). So I hope you get some answers from the vets!

Amy :flower:

Glad to see someone else in our shoes... We plan on paying for my mothers room or we would stay at CR in a heartbeat...

We just stayed at POR in June for the first time. It was beautiful!!!! We stayed at Magnolia Bend, part of the Mansion sections. It was only a 5 minute walk across the bridge to the main pool or to the main buildings. My girls are 4 and 6. In fact, it's the only place they want to stay at from now on! HA! You should all be fine. Enjoy yourselves! Tinkerbelle 32 :love:

I can't speak for the Mansion section, because we always have stayed in the bayou. I love it there and have requested Building 27 for our upcoming visit in two weeks. This will be our 5th stay at Port Orleans Riverside.

Building 27 is located about equal distance between the food court and the main pool area.

You'll love this resort - absolutely beautiful!!!

Great location, fun transportation to Downtown Disney via the riverboat, beautiful landscaping,etc.

HAVE FUN!!!

We love POR! We stayed for the first time last December and will be there again in October. My kids are 11, 15 and 2 and we all loved it and can't wait to go back. We stayed in Magnolia Terrace, which is section of Magnolia Bend(the mansions). It was a few minutes walk to the food courts and a beautiful one at that. We were right across form a quiet pool and the laundry room and a very short walk to the main pool. Too charming, I'm tellin' ya!

We stayed in Oak Manor in the Mansions section when we stayed at POR. We loved this resort. Oak Manor is right across the bridge to the main building, a very short walk. It's not far from the main pool and right next to a private pool.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that Oak Manor is the smoking building for the mansions side if that is a problem.

Both sides are beautiful and have their own appeal. One thing is that the mansions do have elevators because they are three story buildings.

We stayed at POR this past May and were very pleased with the resort. I thought that I didn’t want the AB section either, but that’s what we ended up getting. As it turns out, I loved it. The rooms have recently been redone, and they reminded me a little bit of Wilderness Lodge. I also liked the exteriors of the AB buildings too. We did take the time to walk down to see the Mansions, and they look wonderful too. If my memory serves, I think the AB buildings are 2 stories and the mansions are 3.

We ate dinner at Riverside Mill (the food court), and we were pleasantly surprised by how good our food was. We both had chicken quesadillas, and they were large and very tasty. They seemed to have a very good selection as well.

Just came back in june from POR with our 3 kids in the AB section and it was great!!
So great that we are going back in january!!! You won't be desappoited!

Just returned from POR. Have teenagers and they weren't along for this trip, but I can tell you we really enjoyed the resort. The food court was very good. They offer a pretty good selection, salads, pasta selections, pizza, a lot of breakfast items for a food court, quesadillas, etc. There were also a good selection of items like cottage cheese, small salads, yogurt, all kinds of drinks available all day. We were also very surprised and pleased by the size of the seating in the food court and it just seemed so much nicer to us than did CR. Several places were open until 11 p.m. We also thought the restaurant Boatwrights was very good and reasonable in it's prices. Wonderful breakfast. Oh, and Thursday night they had someone on the piano playing a lot of music involving kids. This went on for almost two hours and the families with young kids seemed to really be enjoying it. We thought this was a great family resort with everything centrally situated.

I just did the same things but there were only 4 of us, but we are getting two rooms. Myself and DH in on room and my mom and son in another. I knew I would go crazy if I had to spend 24/7 with my mom and my husband together. :rotfl2:

It was actually cheaper to do two rooms at POR then it was to do one at CR or the Poly. I was really looking forward to staying at the Poly this year, but in 2007 we will be staying at the Poly for sure.

POR is nice. We stayed their previously. The pool was nice. I believe we were in building 27 in the AB section. It was a quick walk to our room from the parking lot and we had a nice view. We rented a car during that trip. We didn't use the bus at all and didn't go to MK while at POR. We switched to CR the second half and did MK then and Epcot too. So we will see what it will be like going to the MK from POR.

In the past 8 stays I have stayed at ASMU or POP, and am now debating POR for this Christmas. My DD lives on chicken fingers and loves the ones at disney. Do they have those in the food court? Believe it or not, but this will be the deciding factor!

Also, can you request the Mansions? Odds of getting your request December 19?

drp4video - They do have chicken fingers in the food court. One night we went to get food to bring back to the room for the kids and we got each of them an order. BIG MISTAKE!!!! I always read on DIS that portions were large. That's an understatement. Great food - Huge portions. We probably could have got away with two orders between them (they are 13,11,9) and still had left overs. The peices are large. We also pickes up 2 phillies for my husband and I and we definately could have split one. We wasted a lot of food that night.

Choose POR. It's great resort and we will back over Christmas :banana:
Have a great time!

yes you can request a building there is just nothing stating you will get it.

Go for Magnolia Terrace in the Mansion Section, if you don't get it go for Paterre Place. We avoided Oak Manor as it was smoking. My 18 month old loved the playground at POR. We mostly stayed at the quiet pool between Paterre Place and Oak Manor because she was building her confidence to jump off the side etc... The bus service was good and on time and the food court good as far as food courts go.

I think most of the mansions are 3 stories tall with elevators or steps. Don't pay extra for water view as its not worth it. Also don't rent the mini speed boats at POR as they as SLOW, but do take the boat ride to DTD as it is very relaxing and you get a good view of the old still fully furnished treehouses from the old Disney Institute.

The Grounds of POR are beautiful and we would stay there again in a heartbeat, but we're trying POFQ this year as my wife is in love with the theming.

Enjoy your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter