Questions about Ireland?

chaoscent

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
I am not sure where to post this? :confused3 Since the UK is quite close to Ireland, I thought I would start here and have the moderator move it to where it should be. I am going to Ireland to celebrate my 60th birthday next August. I visited Ireland before about 25 years ago. At the time we decided not to visit Northern Ireland. This time my DH (his last name is Kelly) is renting a car and we are driving around Ireland. Any recommendations of places to go, things to see or travel books to buy to start preparing for our "holiday"? Thanks, Penny :cool1:
chaoscent@verizon.net

Welcome to the UK boards :)

We have quite a few Irish DISers from both the noarth and south, I'm sure thay can suggest some sites to see :)

A couple I can think of are Blarney Castle near Cork, the Guinness brewery in Dublin and the Giants Causeway in Northern Ireland :)

Thank you, I have been to Blarney, so that was on the list. I didn't know about the Guinness brewery in Dublin and the Giants Causeway in Northern Ireland. My Dear Irish Husband certainly likes to taste a bit of the brew now and again. :lmao: . Thanks for the suggestions. I now have officially started my Ireland Tips Folder.
Thank you. :goodvibes
Penny

Just back from a trip to Dublin, thanks to Ryanair for the 1p (yup 1p all in) flights.

The Guinness tour is pretty good but if it's a "real Irish" experience you're after then best avoid Dublin city centre I'm afraid. It's a bit like Edinburgh, too touristy and better things to see further afield in my opinion.

I've been to Dublin a few times and it's good if you know what to expect but there is a real risk of disappointment if you are looking for the Irish connection.

I am not sure i know what this means?
thanks to Ryanair for the 1p (yup 1p all in) flights :confused3
Thanks for the advice. Penny

If you are planning on driving around the Southwest at all, my parents live on the Dingle Peninsula (Co. Kerry) along what is called "the ring of Kerry". It's absolutely beautiful there, and the town of Dingle prides itself on it's wild dolphin "Fungi". They lead boating tours, kind of like whale watching, to go out and see him.

This sounds just like the sort of thing we would like. We want to see the Ring of Kerry and we both love wildlife. If we run into them, should we bring them some Philly Pretzels? :goodvibes
Penny

Seeing you are renting a car you must go up the Causeway Coastal route. The coast Road from Larne takes you through spectacular scenery of the Glens of Antrim and you will end up at the Giants Causeway. Also when you are that far go to Bushmills to the Brewery and take the tour. You get a little tipple at the end to try!
I live in Larne and never tire of going up the coast.

I am not sure i know what this means?
thanks to Ryanair for the 1p (yup 1p all in) flights :confused3
Thanks for the advice. Penny

It was a promotion Ryanair had a few months ago in compettion with Easyjet so we got the flights for 5 of us for a total of 10p return ( 5 x1p x2), hence our day trip to Dublin.

We have been there before so know what to expect, it's worth a visit and I wouldn't avoid it, but just "manage you expectations" in terms of the Irishness.

I'd recommend the Cliffs of Moher The view from them is beautiful A little high though there in County Clare its also not too far from The Burren..... When I want to get out of Dublin I love to go to Galway and Donegal These are beautiful places to visit :)

I personally enjoy the Rick Steves guidebooks, even if I disagree with him on where to go in Ireland. :)

I had grand plans to see as much of the country as possible during my trip. Landed at Shannon, stayed a night in lovely Galways, drove through the Burren, then got to Sligo in the northwest....and just could NOT leave. Almost went underground to stay there but lost my nerve.:upsidedow

I highly recommend the Sligo area, especially if you're into the Irish poets (yeats, etc). Ask someone to tell you how to say something in Irish, and you'll have a conversation partner for the evening. :) We got an impromptu lesson in the toilets in a disco...I don't remember what on earth we were taught anymore, but I remember the moment!

I have to also add my vote for going up the North Antrim coast, visiting the Giants Causeway and the Portrush/Portstuart areas.

There is a famous whiskey distillary up in that area too... if you google for Bushmills and you should find it.

Belfast is also very nice, it has gone under a lot of regeneration recently and is not as scary to visit as some people would let you believe.

HTH

Thanks everyone for your great, great advice. I stayed away from the boards for a week as I was caught up in making a list of the characters one might see in WDW. I needed it so check off the autographs design cards Heather had completed http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1608084&page=6 so I knew what needed to be done. LOL

Anyway, thanks so very much for the advice. I saved the Ireland site and will spend time reading there this weekend.

We are planning on going to Northern Ireland. The last time I was there (over 25 years ago) my first husband didn't want to visit there. This trip we plan to "see it all". Thanks, Penny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter