Questions about ABD California Backstage Magic

I feel a little dense asking this, but with the 4 day pass that is included, does it actually expire on the last day of the tour itself *specifically* or is it a regular park hopper that essentially gives you 4 days and expires in 2 weeks?

It seems likely the DL park would close by 8 or 9 our first night there, and likely no F!, WoC, or fireworks. If dinner ended up outside the park at 55 say (because no Big Thunder either) it seems like there'd be little opportunity to go into the park the first day. I'd hoped if this happened to us, we could just use that 4th day during our post-ABD stay (which is only one extra night.)

Your ticket is good for the four days of your Adventure only.

It's good for:

Arrival Day
Magic Kingdom Day
DCA Day
Departure Day

Your ticket can not be extended, upgraded, transferred etc.

This is ABD policy. I have fought this policy many, many times and lost each and every time.

Your ticket is good for the four days of your Adventure only.

It's good for:

Arrival Day
Magic Kingdom Day
DCA Day
Departure Day

Your ticket can not be extended, upgraded, transferred etc.

This is ABD policy. I have fought this policy many, many times and lost each and every time.

Have they ever said *why* that's their policy? Because I have to admit, it seems downright annoying, especially if we can't actually use the tickets one of those days :(

Have they ever said *why* that's their policy? Because I have to admit, it seems downright annoying, especially if we can't actually use the tickets one of those days :(

I have heard many reasons, but the best answer I can give is that you booked a package deal and one of the components of the trip is entrance to the park for the length of your stay. You haven't actually purchased a 4 day park hopper.

There are contractual obligations and pricing between the different divisions of the company and I understand that is the real reason.

I feel a little dense asking this, but with the 4 day pass that is included, does it actually expire on the last day of the tour itself *specifically* or is it a regular park hopper that essentially gives you 4 days and expires in 2 weeks?

It seems likely the DL park would close by 8 or 9 our first night there, and likely no F!, WoC, or fireworks. If dinner ended up outside the park at 55 say (because no Big Thunder either) it seems like there'd be little opportunity to go into the park the first day. I'd hoped if this happened to us, we could just use that 4th day during our post-ABD stay (which is only one extra night.)

Also, depending on when you're trip is, i.e. during the 60th Celebration, then there is a very good chance the fireworks, World of Color and Paint the Night will be going. These are Celebration specific events at the moment and Disney wants to celebrate. And with Fantasmic! down, they will show either Paint the Night or the Fireworks nightly. When we were there in February 2015, there were no fireworks or night parade because they were getting refurbed for the 60th so Fantasmic! went nightly.

Also, depending on when you're trip is, i.e. during the 60th Celebration, then there is a very good chance the fireworks, World of Color and Paint the Night will be going. These are Celebration specific events at the moment and Disney wants to celebrate. And with Fantasmic! down, they will show either Paint the Night or the Fireworks nightly. When we were there in February 2015, there were no fireworks or night parade because they were getting refurbed for the 60th so Fantasmic! went nightly.
Oh, this is good to hear! I'm going to be there in February on a Friday, and was thinking we wouldn't get either Paint the Night or the Fireworks!

Sayhello

Oh, this is good to hear! I'm going to be there in February on a Friday, and was thinking we wouldn't get either Paint the Night or the Fireworks!

Sayhello

We were there on an ABD in February this past year. We didn't stay over Friday night, we were on a flight home that night, but I do remember that the fireworks were supposed to be shown that night.

Just be aware that it's not like in Florida where if there is a weather delay, they will simply delay the fireworks. If the weather, especially the winds, are not good at the time the fireworks are due to go off, they won't delay them, they will cancel them. I-5 runs right behind the park and the fire department has to give Disney the okay every night as to whether or not the fireworks can be set off. When we were just there last week, the fireworks were not set off on Friday night because of high winds in the upper atmosphere where the fireworks would be going off. We did get a little show though on Small World. Also, don't worry if you can't get to Main Street to see the fireworks. Small World area works well too cause they show the same projections on Small World that they do on the castle and the fireworks go off from right behind Toon Town. Only thing you wouldn't see would be any fireworks set off directly from Sleeping Beauty Castle, unless you turn around to see it.

Last week, the fireworks, Paint the Night and World of Color were all being shown. Paint the Night went twice nightly with the Christmas Parade taking the place of the afternoon parade instead of being shown at night. There were also 2 different World of Color shows, World of Color - Winter Dreams (their holiday show) and World of Color - Celebrate! which is their celebration one.

I was literally just there, December 6 - 12 so I'm happy to answer any questions about the parks or this trip in general since I did it earlier this year.

We were there on an ABD in February this past year. We didn't stay over Friday night, we were on a flight home that night, but I do remember that the fireworks were supposed to be shown that night.

Just be aware that it's not like in Florida where if there is a weather delay, they will simply delay the fireworks. If the weather, especially the winds, are not good at the time the fireworks are due to go off, they won't delay them, they will cancel them. I-5 runs right behind the park and the fire department has to give Disney the okay every night as to whether or not the fireworks can be set off. When we were just there last week, the fireworks were not set off on Friday night because of high winds in the upper atmosphere where the fireworks would be going off. We did get a little show though on Small World. Also, don't worry if you can't get to Main Street to see the fireworks. Small World area works well too cause they show the same projections on Small World that they do on the castle and the fireworks go off from right behind Toon Town. Only thing you wouldn't see would be any fireworks set off directly from Sleeping Beauty Castle, unless you turn around to see it.

Last week, the fireworks, Paint the Night and World of Color were all being shown. Paint the Night went twice nightly with the Christmas Parade taking the place of the afternoon parade instead of being shown at night. There were also 2 different World of Color shows, World of Color - Winter Dreams (their holiday show) and World of Color - Celebrate! which is their celebration one.

I was literally just there, December 6 - 12 so I'm happy to answer any questions about the parks or this trip in general since I did it earlier this year.
Thanks, Cinderella's Slipper. I'm not actually doing the Southern California ABD; I'm visiting Disneyland with friends. I just know that when I was there November of last year, they only had the fireworks on the weekends. It's good to know we'll be able to see the special fireworks & shows for the 60th Anniversary without having to suffer through weekend crowds. Thanks!

The information about Small World for the fireworks is also great!

Sayhello

Thanks, Cinderella's Slipper. I'm not actually doing the Southern California ABD; I'm visiting Disneyland with friends. I just know that when I was there November of last year, they only had the fireworks on the weekends. It's good to know we'll be able to see the special fireworks & shows for the 60th Anniversary without having to suffer through weekend crowds. Thanks!

The information about Small World for the fireworks is also great!

Sayhello

If you are going during the 60th then the fireworks, Paint the Night and World of Color-Celebrate go nightly. If DL is open until 10pm then the fireworks will go off at 9:30pm. Fantasmic! Won't be showing in the new year as they are shutting down the Rivers of America, Tom Sawyer Island and the Train to prep for the Star Wars construction. If you get the chance definitely do Hyperspace Mountain. This overlay works extremely well.

If you are going during the 60th then the fireworks, Paint the Night and World of Color-Celebrate go nightly. If DL is open until 10pm then the fireworks will go off at 9:30pm. Fantasmic! Won't be showing in the new year as they are shutting down the Rivers of America, Tom Sawyer Island and the Train to prep for the Star Wars construction. If you get the chance definitely do Hyperspace Mountain. This overlay works extremely well.
Thank you! :)

Sayhello

When do the 60th celebrations end?
Any ideas what the schedule will be then?

When do the 60th celebrations end?
Any ideas what the schedule will be then?

60th Celebration will end September 5, 2016 I believe. The believe the normal show schedule has the parades going daily as well as World of Color. The fireworks and Fantasmic! usually show Friday, Saturday and Sunday for sure and possibly Mondays

60th Celebration will end September 5, 2016 I believe. The believe the normal show schedule has the parades going daily as well as World of Color. The fireworks and Fantasmic! usually show Friday, Saturday and Sunday for sure and possibly Mondays
Thanks!

Wonder whether F! will still be down for Star Wars prep when we're there next October...

Thanks!

Wonder whether F! will still be down for Star Wars prep when we're there next October...

It's my understanding that the Rivers of America area (Rivers of America, Tom Sawyer Island, DL Train) will be down until sometime in mid-2017 so expect that Fantasmic! won't be running during your trip.

When I did my trip, the only thing running was Fantasmic! World of Color was not showing as they were refurbing the lagoon it takes place on while they prepped the 60th show, there was no night time parade as Paint the Night had not premiered yet and the fireworks only went off on the weekends.

It's my understanding that the Rivers of America area (Rivers of America, Tom Sawyer Island, DL Train) will be down until sometime in mid-2017 so expect that Fantasmic! won't be running during your trip.

When I did my trip, the only thing running was Fantasmic! World of Color was not showing as they were refurbing the lagoon it takes place on while they prepped the 60th show, there was no night time parade as Paint the Night had not premiered yet and the fireworks only went off on the weekends.

Yeah, Schedule is looking like both Fantasmic and World of Color will be down the week of our stay, which is just bad luck. But as you mentioned it does look like they are running Paint the Night and Fireworks nightly at least, so that's something!

I'm just curious with those 2 evening shows down, if there'll still be any sort of VIP experience planned on the Wednesday or Thursday evenings. Since I assume you'd watch parade/fireworks back to back.

Yeah, Schedule is looking like both Fantasmic and World of Color will be down the week of our stay, which is just bad luck. But as you mentioned it does look like they are running Paint the Night and Fireworks nightly at least, so that's something!

I'm just curious with those 2 evening shows down, if there'll still be any sort of VIP experience planned on the Wednesday or Thursday evenings. Since I assume you'd watch parade/fireworks back to back.

For our trip, where the only thing showing was Fantasmic! how it worked for our group was like this. On the Tuesday we arrived at DL resort, we had dinner at Steakhouse 55 followed by fastpasses for Fantasmic!. We then went on HM as a group and then were let go with 5 free fastpasses for each person. Wednesday, which was our full day at DL, we had VIP seating for the afternoon parade and 5 free fastpasses for the evening. Thursday, our "last" day and our day at DCA, we had dinner at Carthay Circle and 5 free fastpasses for the evening.

The fastpasses were good for any attraction in either park with the exception of Radiator Springs Racers.

We also had 5 free fastpasses for use during the afternoon at DCA but with the exception of my mom and I, everyone else did the optional activities which were seeing the Frozen Sing-A-Long and Aladdin. My mom and I opted to hit the rides in the afternoon, especially since I as dying to ride California Screamin'.

For our trip, where the only thing showing was Fantasmic! how it worked for our group was like this. On the Tuesday we arrived at DL resort, we had dinner at Steakhouse 55 followed by fastpasses for Fantasmic!. We then went on HM as a group and then were let go with 5 free fastpasses for each person. Wednesday, which was our full day at DL, we had VIP seating for the afternoon parade and 5 free fastpasses for the evening. Thursday, our "last" day and our day at DCA, we had dinner at Carthay Circle and 5 free fastpasses for the evening.

The fastpasses were good for any attraction in either park with the exception of Radiator Springs Racers.

We also had 5 free fastpasses for use during the afternoon at DCA but with the exception of my mom and I, everyone else did the optional activities which were seeing the Frozen Sing-A-Long and Aladdin. My mom and I opted to hit the rides in the afternoon, especially since I as dying to ride California Screamin'.

Thanks for the breakdown! That helps me visualize. Were the fast passes only good for the day they were given?

I've been wondering if they'll even have optional activities at all. Since no Aladdin and no Big Thunder either. Our ABD will be the first they run post closures, and I noticed their website says the itinerary changes right after our trip.

Thanks for the breakdown! That helps me visualize. Were the fast passes only good for the day they were given?

I've been wondering if they'll even have optional activities at all. Since no Aladdin and no Big Thunder either. Our ABD will be the first they run post closures, and I noticed their website says the itinerary changes right after our trip.

If the itinerary changes after your trip, you'll be on the current itinerary. There really are not many differences between the itineraries for this trip.

Yes, our fastpasses were dated so you could only use them on the date you received them. These are specially printed fastpasses that say "Adventures by Disney" on them so the CMs know they are different and that they are good at anytime.

When we were there the castle was behind scrims, there was no fireworks or evening parade, Matterhorn was down as was Splash Mountain, Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan in DL. World of Color, Grizzly River Run and Soarin were all down in California Adventure. I'm sure your guides will come up with another optional activity to replace Aladdin.

Also, it's not like in Florida, where every attraction is fastpassed. There are only select attractions in each park that are fastpassed.

If I can remember correctly...

DL
Space Mountain
Buzz Lightyear
Star Tours
Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Splash Mountain
Haunted Mansion
Indiana Jones Adventure

DCA
Tower of Terror
Monster's Inc (Not 100% sure about this one)
Frozen Sing-A-Long
Aladdin Musical
Soarin
Grizzly River Run
Goofy's Sky School
California Screamin'
Radiator Springs Racers

I'm trying to remember which ones were fastpass from my trip last week. Also we found when we were there last week that the wait times for most attractions was not what was posted. I think Toy Story, Space Mountain (Mainly cause it's currently Hyperspace Mountain), Soarin and maybe one or two others were accurate to the posted wait times. Everything else the waits tended to be shorter than posted. Don't be put off by seeing "long lines" outside of an attraction. 90% of the attraction line is outside in California, sometimes even on the roof of the attraction as in Jungle Cruise and Space Mountain - They really know how to use their space in California. Also, since there are so few fastpass attractions, the lines actually tend to move pretty consistently. Most of the fastpass lines will merge with the standby line at about the half-way point. With the exception of Hyperspace Mountain, I think the longest line time we saw/experienced was 55 minutes for Radiator Springs one afternoon. We even got in line for Radiator Springs one morning and it said it had a "75 minute" wait in the standby, we waited 45.

What time is registration / check in for ABD?
I'm looking at booking a Warner Brothers Studio Tour on the same day our ABD starts and wondering which timeslot would be best to choose for the tour...

Thanks!

I'm looking at booking a Warner Brothers Studio Tour on the same day our ABD starts and wondering which timeslot would be best to choose for the tour...

Thanks!

I believe check in was between 12pm and 2 or 3pm. Not 100% sure. If you are planning a studio tour I would plan it for the morning. We hiked Runyon Canyon in the morning, which is about 15 minutes from the hotel and when we got back the registration desk was up and running. It was located outside Preston's Restaurant on the 2nd floor.

Thanks!
Typically your adventure starts with the welcome dinner at I think 5 pm at the hotel. I'd suggest getting back to the hotel well beforehand to try to nap a bit before the dinner. There will be an activity after the dinner and the next morning starts off early. You'll find yourself constantly on the go from then on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter