Question regarding electric/electronic devices in Europe

TXTransplant

DIS Veteran
Now that it looks like our trip to Germany will be a go, I'm wondering about the best way to manage the electrical/electronic devices I will need while there. The last time I traveled to Europe, we did not have cell phones, and my (film) camera used regular, non-rechargeable batteries. I did take a hair dryer and curling brush (with a plug adapter and voltage converter) and both of those were completely fried by the time I returned home. Needless to say, I do not want that to happen to my iPhone, iPad, or digital camera!

For the iPhone, iPad, and camera, I was thinking of purchasing a large capacity Anker portable charger...something like this http://www.ianker.com/product/A1210011. This should be able to charge my phone and camera multiple times and my iPad once before having to be recharged itself (I only plan on using the iPad on the plane). Does anyone have experience using an external battery like this over there? Will I be able to recharge this battery while traveling without a problem (assuming I have access to a plug)? If something goes wrong during charging, I would much rather destroy an $80 external battery than my iPhone and/or camera.

As far as personal care devices...I'm assuming the hotels all have hairdryers in the room or you can request one from the desk. Can anyone please confirm?

Almost all electronics have a voltage converter built in. You can check the plug of each electronic - it will say something like 100-240V. If so, you're set. iPhones, iPads and their chargers will work fine, and most (if not all) digital cameras will work fine. You will of course need an adapter for the plug. I use a universal adapter like this:

http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-Univ...=1426779942&sr=8-1&keywords=universal+adapter No idea about hair dryers/curling brushes.

As far as chargers, these work well (in various sizes):

http://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Porta...&srs=6457718011&ie=UTF8&qid=1426780129&sr=1-4

If you want something that will charge your iPad, you should look for 2.1A output. Anything less (such as 1A) are fine for iPhones, but might not work or will work slowly for an iPad.

Enjoy Germany. Report back! We'll likely go there summer 2016.

Last edited:
As Kevin says, your electronics (cell phone, iPad) should be fine with an adaptor. For the camera, it depends on the age. I use a universal power strip with an adaptor, and I've never had any issues with it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UHYDYO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for hairdryers, I haven't been in a hotel room anywhere in years that did not have a blowdryer in it. They don't want you blowing out your dryer or their fuses, either, so it's easier & cheaper in the long run for them them to provide you with hair dryers. It can't hurt to contact ABD & verify with them, but I haven't had an issue yet.

As far as curling irons/brushes/flat irons are concerned, if you really need one, you'll need to get one that is certified as dual-voltage (100 - 240V or 100 - 270V, etc.) Then use an adaptor. Everyone I know who have brought one and used a converter has had issues with them. I have a dual voltage flat iron, and have had no problems with it in Europe.

Sayhello

Thanks for the replies! I could probably do without the curling brush, as long as there is a hair dryer, but I did find one on Amazon that is dual voltage. I may add that to my portable battery order and try it out.

My main concern was with destroying my expensive electronics. Since my previous trip only involved the hair dryer and curling brush, I wasn't sure what to expect with phones and such. My camera can charge with a USB, so the portable battery should work fine. I've learned not to go anywhere without one because, despite my best efforts, my phone and/or camera seem to both die at the most inopportune times! Unfortunately, the small lipstick battery that I already have can only charge my iPhone 6 maybe one or two times. Since I need a new one anyway, I might as well get the big one. Sounds like the only other thing I will need is a plug adapter.

Thanks for the replies! I could probably do without the curling brush, as long as there is a hair dryer, but I did find one on Amazon that is dual voltage. I may add that to my portable battery order and try it out.

My main concern was with destroying my expensive electronics. Since my previous trip only involved the hair dryer and curling brush, I wasn't sure what to expect with phones and such. My camera can charge with a USB, so the portable battery should work fine. I've learned not to go anywhere without one because, despite my best efforts, my phone and/or camera seem to both die at the most inopportune times! Unfortunately, the small lipstick battery that I already have can only charge my iPhone 6 maybe one or two times. Since I need a new one anyway, I might as well get the big one. Sounds like the only other thing I will need is a plug adapter.
That's why I always buy and carry a spare battery for my camera! The one time I forgot to charge the spare battery, my camera died just as we got to the Louvre! So I didn't get many pictures there. :( (I didn't have a smart phone at the time).

I've also recently purchased a portable battery for my phone. I usually carry multiple adapters, since some of the items can be plugged right into the wall with the adapter. They're not too big, and better safe than sorry! :)

Sayhello

Don't worry. You can charge cell phones, tablets, laptops, and cameras with no problems, just using a plug adapter. I like the universal world adapters, which you can find on Amazon for under $5.00. They work fine.

You might want to consider getting a charging case for your iPhone if you often run down the battery. They work well.

You don't need to buy such an expensive portable charger (Anker). I have a Cheero Power Plus 10400 mAh and it works fine for iPhone and iPads which I bought on Amazon for $39.00 (it's now $49.99). There are other good ones which are less expensive than the Anker. There will be no problem charging an external battery with a plug adapter.

It's handy to have a travel extension cord, especially one with one or more usb plugs:

http://www.amazon.com/Outlets-Go-Po...1426953832&sr=1-7&keywords=extension+cord+usb

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-SurgeP...d_sim_e_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1G56294XSN4VB1YZENKX

As far as hair dryers, yes, most hotels have them, but some of them are pretty worthless. I have a travel dryer I bought in Europe, which avoids voltage and plug issues. Just find a travel dryer which has dual voltage and you'll be good.

It's possible that you will have power ports on the plane; check your airline's web site for amenities information.

Don't worry. You can charge cell phones, tablets, laptops, and cameras with no problems, just using a plug adapter. I like the universal world adapters, which you can find on Amazon for under $5.00. They work fine.

You might want to consider getting a charging case for your iPhone if you often run down the battery. They work well.

You don't need to buy such an expensive portable charger (Anker). I have a Cheero Power Plus 10400 mAh and it works fine for iPhone and iPads which I bought on Amazon for $39.00 (it's now $49.99). There are other good ones which are less expensive than the Anker. There will be no problem charging an external battery with a plug adapter.

It's handy to have a travel extension cord, especially one with one or more usb plugs:

http://www.amazon.com/Outlets-Go-Po...1426953832&sr=1-7&keywords=extension+cord+usb

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-SurgeP...d_sim_e_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1G56294XSN4VB1YZENKX

As far as hair dryers, yes, most hotels have them, but some of them are pretty worthless. I have a travel dryer I bought in Europe, which avoids voltage and plug issues. Just find a travel dryer which has dual voltage and you'll be good.

It's possible that you will have power ports on the plane; check your airline's web site for amenities information.

I spend almost a month a year in Italy and I too have invested in an Italian hair dryer. I find that various hotels have them, but they do not always function to my expectations.:) And although I am a fairly low maintenance type of girl, it makes me cranky to start a day of vacation with bad hair...lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!