Question re: something one of the CMs said to me

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by sassie_kat, Mar 21, 2013.

1. larryz

larryz A few of my favorite turrets... DIS Lifetime Sponsor

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Lizziejane

Lizziejane <font color=darkorchid>Funny how everyone is diffe

4. Gorechick

Gorechick DIS Veteran

If you miss an ADR that requires a CC guarantee you get charged a no show fee. I believe it is $10 per person.

5. mom2rtk

mom2rtk My, what red cheeks you have, Santa!

Character meals and signature dining locations now require a $10 per person credit card hold. They must be cancelled by end of business the day prior to avoid a no-show charge. (At least I believe that was the latest interpretation of the timeline).

6. Lizziejane

so if you're sick the day of your ADR, you're out of luck?1 hmmm...making me rethink character meals

7. mom2rtk

I suppose you could call and ask for mercy, but I haven't heard anyone report yet that this worked. Just let your family members know that you need 24 hours notice of any impending illnesses. ;)

8. Lizziejane

I'll be sure to stress that point with the 2-year old!! LOL

9. tlkgt76

tlkgt76 "If you can dream it, you can do it." Walt Disney

I don't know if its changed, but I missed a ADR at Chef Mickey's for breakfast that I held on my credit card because of an issue with my blood sugar. I called the WDW-DINE number as soon as I could and explained the situation. They didn't charge my card and even made a new reservation for us at Akerhus Royal Banquet Hall.

I'm sure they could see that I had never missed a reservation before.

10. Mom2HandR

Mom2HandR Mouseketeer

Just piping in on CC guaranteed ADRs. We arrived at Disney with reservation for Cinderella's Table. Our oldest got sick and I stayed back with her. They did not charge us for our meals. We were pleasantly surprised as we knew we were obligated.

Disney magic strikes again. :)

11. LSUfan4444

LSUfan4444 DIS Veteran

The only viable option to never have incorrect wait times posted is to never have any wait times posted at all. More times than not, they are accurate, or at least close. If one time during my entire vacation my wait is double what is posted, I wouldn't even remember it to come home and post about it on a message board.

12. mickeyluv'r

mickeyluv'r DIS Veteran

I apologize that my wording was off. The fee is meant to be applied to no shows, and those that cancel less than a day in advance. There were reports on the DIS, shortly after this fee was started, that folks who showed up more than 15minutes late were also charged.

It is also my understanding that the no show fee at Victoria and ALberts is $25, and at prepaid meals you'll be charged the cost of the prepaid meal.

13. delgrec

delgrec Mouseketeer

Forgive my ignorance, but can someone explain the "red cards" and how they work in informing wait times? Thanks!

14. sassie_kat

sassie_kat Mouseketeer

The reason I remembered it was because it was SO different from what was quoted. That, combined with the "eh" attitude of the CM coupled with my BIL threatening to write a letter to Disney stayed with me. It didn't ruin my vacation, it didn't even rain on my parade - it DID make me wonder about the validity of the statement from the CM that they have no control over what is displayed.

I worked at an amusement park back in the days before there were wait times displayed. We had little markers at different points along the lines stating that the expected wait time from this point was X number of minutes. But, we also knew when those estimates were way off (ride was breaking down, we had less ride vehicles in action than normal etc.) and would do our best to let people know that the wait was going to be longer than expected.

15. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

When you approach the line, the cm will give you a red card, they beep it on a terminal and when you get to the front of the line you give the cm the card back and they beep it on their terminal. So that tells how long it took for you to get through the line.

16. delgrec

delgrec Mouseketeer

Interesting. Thanks. I have never seen that.

17. mom2rtk

I really think they've been monkeying with the FP/SB ratio so much lately that the red card is almost pointless. It means nothing if they stop the standby line from time to time and let 90% fastpass in.

On the up side, I also think this is all sort of a trial period. Once they get FP+ all figured out they should be back to being able to better predict the wait times. That should only take what..... a couple more years? :lmao: They're going to have to decide how many to issue, but then they're going to have to wait and see what the no-show rate is on pre-scheduled rides, then adjust for that.

18. hollygolitely93

hollygolitely93 DIS Veteran

I think OP is looking for understanding of what kind of "stuff" happens to cause such inaccurate postings...as the next poster explains...

19. StitchesGr8Fan

StitchesGr8Fan DIS Veteran

The only way to totally eliminate long lines and the need for crowd control is to have less people in the parks. There are 2 ways to do that - let less people in the parks (which people would get mad about) or charge more so less people can afford it (which people would get mad about). Disney can't win on that front.

I do think Disney needs to religiously give out the red cards every 10 minutes for each line and have the signs updated in 10 minute intervals. I understand that they don't have to post estimated wait times (a lot of parks don't) but of they are going to extend that courtesy, then they need to put a priority on making it more accurate.

20. larryz

[​IMG]

now you have...

21. larryz

Actually, if they just wrote the code to update in real time how long it's taking the red card to get from the first post to the second, it would be constantly updating itself the whole time. Of course, they'd have to track multiple cards simultaneously, and update the wait time to the longest of the currently active cards...