question re: large suitcases and weight limitations

debbiebones

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have any recommendations or tips regarding taking large suitcases and packing them so they don't go over the weight limits?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking of buying a new suitcase...one of the largest ones with the built-in garment bags and I'm wondering if anyone has ever run into a problem with these being too heavy.

It would be nice to get everything into just one big bag but I certainly don't want to have to pay a fine for having it weigh too much.

Thanks for any tips, suggestions, ect.

Deb

When I got my tickets at the airport, there was a couple at the counter next to me who had an overweight bag. I overheard the Airline Rep (Delta) tell them that it would cost them, but I didn't catch the amount. The woman opted to repack her suitcase rather than pay.

Rae

Take a tape measure and measure the bag (length + width + height). Both Delta and Southwest, the airlines I am familiar with, have a maximum size of 62". If the bag is bigger than that then don't buy it! Also, get a feel for it's weight as that can eat into the amount you can pack. Again, Delta and Southwest charge for anything over 70 pounds but I remember reading somewhere recently that some airlines are charging at a lesser weight (maybe 45 pounds?!?).

Check the actual website of the airlines you usually travel for specifics. You may be better off with 2 smaller bags, rather than fret and worry about weight.

Peggy

I'd vote for 2 bags also. We have a beautiful suitcase that we got as a gift for our wedding. It rolls like a dream & is well-made. But I was afraid to take it on our last trip because it comes so close to the 62 inch max. I just couldn't take a chance on being oversize or overweight.

We ended up with 3 small-medium suitcases & a rolling duffle bag for the 3 of us for 2 weeks. It sounds like a lot, but it worked out well. We had 1 cruise only bag that we left in the car while at WDW.

We've got the huge suitcase and here are some tips that work for us:
- take two bags -- and in the largest one put the bigger, bulky but lighter weight items (e.g., we pack a toaster for our hotel room)...
- check in with the skycap -- they don't check quite as closely.

- buy packing cubes -- they make it easier to pack/unpack and also keep you from overcrowding (e.g., overpacking).

Northwest and some of the other airlines now have a 50 pound limit - then they charge you for anything over that. They will really charge you if you are over the 70 pound maximum. Last time we traveled I packed the bags then got on the bathroom scale with it to check the approx. weight.

We have 2 32" suitcases (they are BIG) and they have the extra zipper to expand them even further. As soon as the 62" inch rule came out I measured and decided that unexpanded they'll pass. To ensure I don't go overweight on them, I think I am going to take an extra smaller one (about 1/2 the size). I don't remember the exact fees that the airlines were charging for overweight, but I do recall they were outragously high.

I checked with a couple of airlines to see what their overweight penalties were:

Delta is over 70 lbs is $80
Northwest over 50 lbs - doesn't say what the penalty is on the website - but I got an email from them a few weeks ago and it was $25 for over 50 lbs and $50 for over 70 lbs.
American - over 50 lbs is $25, 70 to 100 lbs is $50.

All of the penalties are assessed each way - not round trip.

We have two 32" bags. We are currently downsizing to four 26" bags. The 32" bags did get very heavy. The last 2 trips, Southwest put "Heavy" stickers on them, but did not charge extra for them at the time.

Thanks Briarfoxin WA for that info. All I can say is "OUCH"! It sure is going to be painful if we go over! Okay, it's down downsize time - thankfully I have til 5/3 to do this!

Rae

What joyful1nh said about packing cubes is good advise.

Go to this web site: http://ebags.com/search/index.cfm?I...arch=category&CategoryID=11225&sub_site_ID=24

I just bought some of these cubes (#2 and #7) to get more organized for our upcoming trip. In my opinion these cubes will help on the overpacking issue that gets lots of us in trouble. Plus the airlines now say not to lock your luggage. So these cubes will keep everything more organized for them and for you.

When we pack our luggage we weigh it prior on our home scales to make sure its in limitations of the airline. If it goes over we the weight limitations we consider on packing another suitecase or just downside.

Not only are those fines not round trip, but they can charge you PER SEGMENT! So if you have to transfer, you'l get hit with the fine twice each way.

Gillian,
I never thought of that! Thanks for bringing that up - guess it will teach all of us to pack lighter and smarter!

Rae

Gillian,

You just crack me up! If Disney ever does that, I know someone who'd be first in line - and "B.D." if you are reading this, you know who I mean!!!!!

Rae

We got pinched for $80 in Orlando on our Cruise this past October. Our bag was 76lbs and the limit was 70lbs. We were on Contiental.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter