Question re Hard Water

Rafiki Rafiki Rafiki

<font color=peach>I took matters into my own hands
We recently put a water softening system into our house, and there are two outside attachments for lawn and flowers. Do I use the softened water or the hard water?

DH said he read that the sodium content in the soft water can hurt the flowers and lawn.

Don't know but don't kill the flowers before I get to see them :)

I will ask my dh the water expert when he gets home.

Hard water is generally better for lawns & plants. The unit "should" have a bypass valve or handle that you can actuate before using a spigot/faucet that is now plumbed soft-water.
Using softened water isn't an immediate "killer" on plants, but the mineral-laden hard water will surely be best to use. Plus, sprinkling with soft-water can exhaust your softeners' capacity between its' regeneration cycles (the process where it actually uses the salt & sounds like a washing machine... best analogy I can think of!), and you could experience hard-water in the home again. Temporarily of course.
Keep in mind, any water usage inside the home while unit is "bypassed" will also be hard-water.
Hope this helps, I do softener/drinking filter systems in our area.
First time checking this forum out and couldn't resist this thread. Excellent forum and glad to see it!
Jim

Thanks, Jim.

Since DH put the system in, we know where the cutoffs are and what the bypass configuration is. He just added a post-softened water spigot for outside use and then read that about the hard water. Our outside spigots are still pre-softened water.

Now, if only my garden would grow...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter