Question on upgrades

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by downtick, Jan 7, 2010.

1. downtick

downtick Mouseketeer

I have been reading the forum and I see a lot of people in a lot of different categories get upgrades. Does anyone know how their upgrade system really works? I booked a cat 12 for the may 5 magic cruise, was just wondering if they upgrade the cat 12 people first or do they just upgrade everyone everywhere. I guess it is unlikely to go from a cat 12 to say a cat 8 when there may be people in a cat 10 that don't get any upgrade at all? Not too sure how this all works.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. outahere

outahere DIS Veteran

Free upgrades are completely random, and no one (at least here on the DIS) has ever been able to determine how they are done. The one upgrade that is a definite is from a cat 12 to something higher, if you have 4 people booked in your cabin. None of the cat 12 cabins sleep more than 3 people, but they do allow you to book 4 people in a cat 12.

4. Annabell

Annabell Mouseketeer

I have read other post saying that you would probably get upgraded 3 categories at most. For example, if you book a cat12 then you could get to a cat9 but not higher. DCL would upgrade the cat9's to a higher category rather than upgrading cat12 right way up.
    But as other have mentioned... don't rely on an upgrade and just book a cabin where you would be happy at.

5. stingmom

stingmom Got Dis?

downtick...we are on the May 5 Magic also. We booked a cat 12 GTY and will be upgraded to at least an 11 since we have 4 in our fam. The sailing still looks pretty empty, so I anticipate there will probably be a lot of happy cruisers. Just make sure you always book what you would really want to stay in, then you know you made the best choice for you.

6. downtick

downtick Mouseketeer

that cruise should be great! we are only 3, i got the cat 12 as well, so no automatic upgrade to an 11, but can only wait and see now.