Question on overflow SOG Booking

Kid in Me

Mouseketeer
I called SOG to book a room and they informed me that they were booked for the time requested. I told her the computer was coming up available and she said it was impossible. We were offered an alternative stay at the moderates but declined. I ended up booking on line and received a confirmation. Do you think it is likely when we arrive we will be staying at SOG or will we bumped on arrival to another resort?

More likely that you will get a call prior to arrival to tell you that they overbooked (if that's really the case) and would you like to choose a different resort. Although I do think it's wierd that the Agent couldn't see a room when the online computer could. It's usually the exact opposite!

They won't just stick you in another resort without advance notice. I have to say that since the expansion, it's rare to sell out in advance unless it's a holiday or something.

Either way, good luck and have a great time.

More likely that you will get a call prior to arrival to tell you that they overbooked (if that's really the case) and would you like to choose a different resort. Although I do think it's wierd that the Agent couldn't see a room when the online computer could. It's usually the exact opposite!

They won't just stick you in another resort without advance notice. I have to say that since the expansion, it's rare to sell out in advance unless it's a holiday or something.

Either way, good luck and have a great time.

This is incorrect. They can, and do, walk guests to other resorts with no notice, except when they check in. As someone who worked in reservations for SoG, I spoke with those who worked the front desk and they did walk guests. While it doesn't happen every night, it happens from time to time. When they are over booked by a few rooms, they will wait to see if they have no shows. In that case, no one ever needs know they were over booked. If they have to walk a guest, they try to find accommodations that are similar (i.e. another deluxe resort). However, based on availability, this doesn't always happen. It's up to the guest to make SoG do what they feel is fair. :)

You should get a confirmation letter prior to your arrival stating your dates and reserved room type.

A confirmation is a confirmation, no?

And if that doesn't happen, make them "walk" you across the street to the Poly! :thumbsup2

eek that is kinda scary. What month did you book it for?? I notice may is WIDE open on the website but all other months are booked. Did you get a confirmation letter. I first made ressie's online , then changed my mind and called and made them on the phone and was told they never got the other ones so make sure you have a confirmation letter

When they put you up in another hotel, what do you pay?? The same as what you would have at SOG?? Or do they reduce it?:confused3

In 2003, my parents took our family (10 of us total). We were going to stay at SoG, but it was closed for renovations at the time. They put us up at the Contemporary (Garden wing) for the same rate ($99/nt):banana: . I would think they'd have to charge you the same rate you'd be paying there. Not your fault they overbooked, right?:confused3 HTH

Kathy

I've been able to figure out most of the abbreviations, but what does SOG stand for? Is is shades of green?
Christine

hmmm that happened to us last week too. They showed availability online but when we called in to book they said they had no availability. The rep told us that there are always cancellations and that may be why we saw it available online so we went ahead and booked it. I guess if they walk us, they walk us. as long as i have a roof over my head. No but seriously I think you should be ok.

Thank you for your responses. I feel comforted knowing that I will be called ahead of time if I am being moved. This way I can cancel transportation and not lose the money. I am just someone who needs to know and be prepared. I am happy to stay anywhere on site. Thank you again.

eek that is kinda scary. What month did you book it for?? I notice may is WIDE open on the website but all other months are booked. Did you get a confirmation letter. I first made ressie's online , then changed my mind and called and made them on the phone and was told they never got the other ones so make sure you have a confirmation letter

I did get a confirmation #. We are going the last weekend in March. However, I am aware that it is a busy time being a weekend and also school vacation time. I do have a confirmation that I printed, but before I made the online ressie I was told it was booked by a reservationist on the phone. She was uncertain why the computer showed availability and her computers showed totally booked. She told me to ahead and book online. I was just wondering if I needed to take a tent in tow or if I would be placed elsewhere if there wasn't availability. Thank you for your feedback.

I've been able to figure out most of the abbreviations, but what does SOG stand for? Is is shades of green?
Christine

Looks like you figured this one out too! :thumbsup2 There's a great sticky on the welcome to the Dis page if ever you need to look up other abreviations. Welcome to the dis!:flower3:

When they put you up in another hotel, what do you pay?? The same as what you would have at SOG?? Or do they reduce it?:confused3

Please don't take this as 100% accurate. It's been a while and I was never completely 'up' on exactly what happens because it didn't affect what I did. I know they would contact the hotels we had contracts with (overflow). Disney was always the first to be contacted. If they were completely booked, next up was the other hotels on the Disney property. That's for certain. The part I'm not so certain on is the money. I don't know if they tried to make you pay whatever the going overflow rate was for that time, or if they picked up the bill if it was going to be more expensive. It might be the former and if the guest put up enough of a fight, it became the latter.

Again, if you find yourself in that type of situation, don't be rude or angry, but be assertive. Let them tell you what they're going to do for you and at what cost. If it's acceptable, great. If not, let them know what you think is and why. Maybe they'll offer the CSR (step down), but they're going to throw in some tickets and a couple of free meals back at SoG (or a couple of free nights on a future visit). They're a business and they want to keep yours. I do know when they walked a guest, they always paid for the cab.

I've read on boards that some guests were very happy with the situation. They were moved to a Disney deluxe. And, other guests....not so much. Mistakes happen. Disney walks guests to their other resorts, as well. The problem with SoG is they don't have as much freedom in what they can do as Disney does. When I worked there, May is one of those months that took a lot longer to fill up. Kids were still in school. Spring break wasn't too long ago. You should be fine and May is a great time to be here (as long as it's not towards the end of the month). :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter