Question on Airline Prices

Annie&Hallie'sMom

<font color=deeppink>Things turn out best for peop
Ok, I'm a North Jersey Girl, so I like to fly out of Newark since it is very close to home and convenient for my parents who will drive us. Currently December flights out of Newark (Delta & Continental being the only direct ones) are $225 a piece round trip. (They were $215, but I thought that was a bit high! It's been a while since I've flown). Out of curiousity, I checked the pricing out of JFK (which is over an hour away and about $12 in tolls)...the cost there is about $170. Why the price differntial? Any one have a guess.

Also, since I have a while till I have to purchase tickets, any guess on whether fares might DECREASE for early December flights?

Different markets bring different prices.
Any guess? Nope, I would hesitate to hazard a guess on this one.

I wouldn't want to guess either where the prices are going. My advice is to keep watching and when you see a price you can live with book it. If it goes down after that then you can get a voucher for the difference.

Actually $225 non-stop out of EWR with good dates/times isn't a bad deal. All the carriers have raised their prices, and unless you hit a real fluke or major fare sale, I do'nt htink you're going to do much better.

I do'nt think I've ever done better than $180 r/t out of EWR, and that was traveling on off days/hours.

You might want to also look at USAir out of PHL, in all honesty it's not much farther than JFK, a much nicer and easier to navigate airport with better parking options, and I've seen prices as low as $148 r/t.

ALso, keep in mind with JFK that depending on what time/day you are going/coming back, it can take over three hours from NW Jersey.

Anne

I have had good luck with Southeast. They fly nonstop to Orlando-Sanford....our three tickets cost $405.

We paid (booked in Jan.) $257 out of Newark for June 30 - July 7. The price for this flight is now $445.

In a word JetBlue. They keep the prices at JFK lower than at EWR or LGA. As posted 225 R/T from EWR is not bad .

On the other side, with JFK having lots of international flights that land/take off later in the day JFK is a good choice for a flight from 10 AM to 6 PM most days.

I always book our air when I know our dates. We've gone on quite a few trips, Las Vegas, Orlando, Bahamas...and ALL the prices went up after I booked. I booked our upcoming WDW trip, back in February...paid $216.50 for R/T tickets leaving early, returning late non-stop (they were $210.50 a week before). That same ticket is now up to $349.50! :eek:

I suggest looking at prices for the flights you're interested in for September or October. If those prices are noticeably lower, there's a reasonable chance that December fares will drop to similar levels come July or August. If the earlier fares are the same, it may be a better bet that no major price drops are headed your way.

If your choices are between Delta and Continental out of EWR and prices were the same I would definitly pick CO because if you flight is delayed or canceled you would have many more options to get to your final destination.

Thank you for all the replies.

It has been a while since I've flown (nearly 2 years) and boy have those prices gone up. I guess I'm just in sticker shock based on what I paid last time and what I'll have to pay now!

Tickets prices are going up, not down as a rule. December is a funny month. Right after thanksgiving prices are at the lowest ,till right before the christmas holiday. Try to be flexible with dates travel mid week tends to be cheaper.

With CO/DL having no pressure from a low cost carrier ( SW/JB ) don't expect to get bargain fares. Flights are limited these days and best prices for flights you want may sell out early. Be prepared to buy when you see the price that is right for you.

IMHO 215 R/T is that price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter