Question for watch collectors

Discussion in 'Disney Collectors Board' started by sasmmb, Feb 22, 2013.

1. sasmmb

sasmmb Mouseketeer

Hi, I own about 30 Disney watches. Over the last couple of years I've gotten more and more aware of how much I'm spending getting the batteries replaced just so I can wear anyone of those watches on any given day. Over the past 6 months I've stopped getting the batteries replaced and have learned to live without some watches. If I keep this up I'll be like a "normal" person and probably only have a couple of watches that I wear.

I feel I'm at a crossroads of giving up my collection (and maybe selling), or realize that this type of collection requires not only an initial investment but continuous money for batteries. At some point I bought a kit to replace the batteries myself but after 1 broken watch face, that was the end of that.

So have you ever considered selling off just to avoid the battery expense? If so, did you ever regret your decision?

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. DizneyDogs

DizneyDogs <font color=red>Mouseketeer<br><font color=navy>Sc

What I do is pull out the knob for any that I am not wearing so that the watch isn't running and saves the batteries. Only takes a few seconds to set the watch and push the knob in.

4. sasmmb

sasmmb Mouseketeer

That's a good idea. Hadn't thought of that.

5. mickeysbestfriend

mickeysbestfriend DIS Veteran

Disney watches from the 1930's to now and would never give them up. I buy a few to wear and the rest are for display or pure collectors interest. One thing I love is the old manual wind ones and a few of the self winding ones..

Never give them up! Just get batteries for the one(s) you wear when you need them. I always take the batteries out when I am not using them as well :)

6. Maleficent53

Maleficent53 Have fun storming the castle...

I have the same problems with watch batteries - however, I have discovered a possible solution.

Batteries Plus (at least the one by my house!) has a program that sells you a battery (about $16.00) and then you get FREE batteries on that watch whenever you need a replacement. I figure the first time I get the free battery I am breaking even, after that I am in the black :cool1:

Hope this helps some of you out, too!