Question for parents

I guess what strikes me most is that the parents are insisting that the child is potty trained at home. Maybe they aren't in denial; maybe, at HOME, he is potty trained. Perhaps it's time to wonder what it is about the school day that causes the child to regress. Please don't misunderstand; I don't mean to insinuate that this is a bad daycare or anything. I just think maybe it's time to take a closer look at why the child is untrained at school and totally trained at home. It doesn't make sense. :confused3

This might very well be! My DD never has accidents while we're out and about. At daycare, the only accident she might have is when she's napping. If she's going to have an accident, it's at home! So strange. It's like she just gets lazy or something and caught up in playing or something.

"If he is still having 2-3 accidents everyday hes not really potty trained right?"

Right.

If I had a child in that situation, and took him to Ikea's Småland to play, and he had an accident, they'd boot him. If I were sending him to daycare, I'd expect the same, if they had such rules.

OFF TOPIC!

Now, I could be wrong (I haven't started training my son yet):

If a parent is looking for the child's pee/poop signals -- isn't the child potty training the parent and not vice versa??

Not trying to offend. Just curious. How does the child start to realize when he/she needs to go if the parent swoops in and takes the child to the bathroom?

As I said, we haven't started yet. Must do some research first....

Doesn't matter. Gets to the same goal. And IMO is easier for the parent to read the kidlet's signs! Gets things done earlier.

Watch your kids. See if they make a certain face right before they go. Then, when you see that face, it's a teachable moment, swooping them onto the potty (we had one next to the family bed and one downstairs in the living room, because he REFUSED to sit on the toilet for a time) shows them "this is where you go". And then, when dipes (we used cloth) and clothes are pulled right back up, no obnoxious changing needed, that's another bonus!

Heck, even at night DS had signals, and that's where our potty-learning began.

He would squirm and wake, I would nurse him back to sleep, then 10 minutes later he would flood his dipe and wake for an hour, very upset. AUGH. This happened most nights.

Realized at long last that the squirming was him saying "I gotta go!". So that's when we moved the potty next to my side of the bed. He'd squirm, I'd wake up, swing him over onto the potty, he'd pee, I'd swing him back up, pull up the dipe, and we'd go back to sleep. Ahhhh. Nice.

If I had waited until he said "excuse me Mother darling, I must go wee now" late at night, well, I'd still be waiting. In fact he's sleeping next to me on the couch right now, because he wakes when he needs to pee, but doesn't like going on his own at night. So he woke, came out to find me, sat down, went to sleep. When I'm done with this post, I'll turn off lights and take him back to bed, stopping for a potty break on the way. (this is just a nighttime thing...during the day he's fabulous and has been since he was 2.5)

My friends thought I was crazy, having the potties outside of bathrooms. But it all worked out, and it was much less work for me, and less time needed from "uh oh" to go, and I'm happy with it. :goodvibes

Wow! I think the family is lucky. My DSs attend a daycare on military post. They have extremely strict guidelines. When the child turns 3, they move into another room. Once this move is complete, they must wear underwear and NO pull-ups period. Pull ups are not an option when they move. Like PPs have stated if we cannot follow these guidelines we have to find another center. I have never heard of parents not wanting to do this and my children had one accident that was enough for them. i had it easy when it came to potty training. Thank you God!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter