Question for Catholic Cruisers

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by CatDenver, Jan 21, 2013.

1. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

The problem becomes how many and which expressions of faith to provide clergy for. They walk a fine line between recognizing important days and offending those of other persuasions.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. kathie859

kathie859 DIS Veteran

One of my favorite cruise memories is celebrating Mass in one of the cocktail lounges on a Carnival ship several years ago. On the Fantasy this past October, there was no Mass. I also cruised Uniworld last year( on a river cruise in Europe) and there was no Mass.:confused3

4. ilovetexas

ilovetexas DIS Veteran

5. auntie

auntie <font color=darkorchid>It's a really lovely way to

I'm curious,:confused3 would anyone happen to know if Disney provides a non denominational Christian service for those who observe Ash Wednesday, and Easter but are not of the Catholic faith? (there are us Protestants after all, lol!):wave2:

6. GusGus77

GusGus77 DIS Veteran

If we could afford it, we would just bring a priest with us to ensure Mass! Alas, we can't afford that! (And none of the priests we know would really be able to do that anyway with the shortage at local parishes and such.) Unfortunately you have to assume that Mass will NOT be celebrated when on board (unless you know of priest who will be on your cruise.)

Although I am probably sure this isn't your concern, your obligation to attend Sunday Mass is waived when there is no Mass available to attend. We were fortunate our last cruise left on a Sunday so we were able to attend Mass for embarking. Next time our cruise leaves on a Saturday, so we won't be so fortunate.

It is nice to see people on the Disboards concerned about such things!

7. lovetotraveltx

lovetotraveltx DIS Veteran

Our cruise leaves on a Friday. So, before reading this thread I just assumed there would be a Sunday mass. And, it Mother's day! I guess we have to wait and see if we get lucky!

8. JulFromMD

JulFromMD AK Fangirl

On the 7-day Fantasy cruise we did last May, there was an "Interdenominational Service" on Sunday and Jewish Sabbath on Friday. From what I've heard, that's more the norm than lots of very specific religious services.

9. lanejudy

lanejudy Moderator Moderator

I'm sure they do for Easter, but not sure about Ash Wednesday.

10. mdsoccermom

mdsoccermom DIS Veteran

It's nothing new in the cruise industry. My first cruise was on Home Lines in 1987. My best friend's dad was an ordained minister and was asked to officiate on the Easter cruise and they invited me along.

We sailed on Royal Caribbean over Hanukkah, and the cruise line had a cantor onboard to conduct a service and menorah lighting each night. He told us that he has officiated services on many different lines.

11. Bunless

Bunless DIS Veteran

On HAL they always make sure to have some sort of clergy on all cruises over (I believe) 10 days, although the exact length of cruise might be different. They have a long, long list of retired clergy who cruise free of charge in exchange for their service.

The only reason that I know this is that my dad just applied to the list after he retired this summer.

12. TrixieM

TrixieM Earning My Ears

How could having a Mass possibly offend "those of other persuasions". I am grateful that Disney offers this for us.

13. k3chantal

k3chantal DIS Veteran

You're right

14. lorenni

lorenni DIS Veteran

I think we have a reading comprehension error here. No one said anything about persuading or making anyone do anything. What was said is that celebrating ONE type of religion and not the others could be offensive to those of other religious persuasions. That means offensive to folks belonging to other religions.

Lets all make sure we know what we're reading before hopping all over someone for it.

15. auntie

auntie <font color=darkorchid>It's a really lovely way to

:thumbsup2

Thanks.

16. TrixieM

TrixieM Earning My Ears

This was a typo not a reading error. I meant to quote the OP and say offend rather than persuade. Anyway, just curious what the OP meant. I still think the OP could be interpreted in multiple ways including yours and I certainly didn't mean to "hop over anyone". Let's give others the benefit of the doubt. :)

17. lorenni

lorenni DIS Veteran

Thanks - you're typo was snowballing and another poster then moved on to persuading and making people go to mass - that could only have ended badly! :)

Back to the original question - I would prefer an interdenominational service, as a catholic mass isn't going to float my episcopal boat.

18. MDTerp

MDTerp Mouseketeer

Last year aboard the Dream, on Easter Sunday, there was a Christian service (pretty close to sunrise if I recall correctly) and Catholic Mass, a little later in the am. Friends of ours who we sailed with attended this service, and we attended Mass.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

19. penguins_fan

penguins_fan Mouseketeer

We have a Sunday departure in May and are staying at Hyatt MCO Sat night. Anyone know of a Catholic church near the airport for vigil Mass?

20. DL1957

DL1957 DIS Veteran

If you go online Masstimes.com gives you this information throughout the US and if I remember right worldwide. We use it all the time when we travel. Sue

21. buckeyemom16

buckeyemom16 Mouseketeer

The PP mentioned masstimes.org, even better there's a smartphone app for masstimes.org! :) We've successfully used it several times when traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards