Question for a Cast member.. college tuition assistance

Kevindm

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone

My question is not entirely related to the college program, but im not sure what other subforum to post it to. Mods, feel free to move it if necessary.

I am a college program alum from spring 2011, and im thinking of moving back to orlando for grad school. I'd like to get my masters in mechanical engineering at UCF with the intention of a career with WDI. I'd like to work full time in a starting roll, and take some prereq classes at UCF to build my resume for the program. I figured i can network internally within the company, while im working on my masters.

From what ive read online, i understand disney offers a tuition reimbursement for classes. Although, it needs to be related to your current role with the company, and your manager needs to sign off on it. Considering i would be in a starting roll, and not working for imagineering at the time, would i qualify for reimbursement?

I understand i should probably contact a manager directly, but its been so long since my program, i no longer have connections within the company. If any of you have done this, or if you've ever heard of anyone doing something like this, let me know. If you know anyone i can contact in a leadership role feel free to shoot me a PM.

Thank you!

I have a coworker who started her masters while in an hourly, in park role. It wasn't related to her role at the time, so I'm not sure if tuition was covered (sorry, I know that doesn't help you at all) but her manager was very supportive based on what I've heard from her, so it's possible they approved something for it. She moved into a professional role (first a professional internship, then bumped up to regular status) and is finishing her Masters now and is getting reimbursed for sure.

I also think there is a waiting period for being eligible when you are in a regular park role (6 months I believe) so that is something to consider as well.

Sorry I don't have more specific/helpful examples

I looked into tuition reimbursement because I want to go back to school for a hospitality management program and I was told it wouldn't be covered because it's unrelated to my current role.

You have to have put in a year of service (get your pin) before they will consider it, and the CP doesn't count towards your time. Then it depends on your role and your major and if the company thinks the skills you're learning are worth it to them. The role you're in when you apply has to be the one that your classes focus on, you can't start as say QSF&B saying you want to be an Imagineer and get engineering tuition covered.

Further information ... each class has to be related to your current role - you have to write a description of the class and how it relates, and then it must be approved by a leader at Director level or above. They will cover a certain amount per credit hour, plus books, no more than 2 classes a semester, and there is a limit on the # of semesters that will be covered. Plus, there is a repayment clause that says that if you leave Disney within a certain amount of time (3 years, I think), you have to repay everything.

Plus, there is a repayment clause that says that if you leave Disney within a certain amount of time (3 years, I think), you have to repay everything.
It may vary based on role type, but courses paid out within a year prior to termination must be repaid - anything prior to that is not required to be repaid

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter