Question about vacation package changes

zpbarn01

Mouseketeer
I just booked a package 5 nights at POP with 5 day tickets your way park hopper. I have only booked hotel only before and always paid the $200 deposit and paid the rest when I arrived. I failed to notice the must pay 45 days in advance before I submitted the reservation on vacation packages. The amount says due Jan 22 and will be impossible for me to do by then. My question is, has anyone switched a package to room only and just transferred the deposit to that reservation? Is there a fee ? Tried to call tonight but after 45 minutes waiting I will just have to try tomorrow. Thanks for any help...stressing a bit over here.

I just booked a package 5 nights at POP with 5 day tickets your way park hopper. I have only booked hotel only before and always paid the $200 deposit and paid the rest when I arrived. I failed to notice the must pay 45 days in advance before I submitted the reservation on vacation packages. The amount says due Jan 22 and will be impossible for me to do by then. My question is, has anyone switched a package to room only and just transferred the deposit to that reservation? Is there a fee ? Tried to call tonight but after 45 minutes waiting I will just have to try tomorrow. Thanks for any help...stressing a bit over here.

Yep, you always have to pay in full at the 45 day mark. Only room only reservations can be paid at check-in. You would have to cancel the package and get a refund of your $200, then book your room-only reservation as a new reservation. They won't transfer the $200 or apply it to anything else. Same goes for canceling a room only, they won't apply that money towards a package. It has to stay separate. Good luck! :)

I was wondering the same thing actually. When the package is cancelled will you be able to turn around and book that same room as a room only? Or are you only allowed to take what else is available?

I was wondering the same thing actually. When the package is cancelled will you be able to turn around and book that same room as a room only? Or are you only allowed to take what else is available?

The same room? Probably not. These aren't specific rooms, simply one of a number of rooms that is blocked out for the special offer. When you rebook, you would book a room that is not allocated for the special offer.

Thank you. I guess I could have been a little more specific. Ha. Our situation is that when we booked our 2 bedroom villa at Beach Club with my mom we weren't totally prepared for the total payoff date. It was months ago and didn't realize it would be here so soon I suppose. We just booked the package and put down the $200 deposit thinking it wouldn't be a big deal if we needed to cancel. I just pulled up the confirmation she sent me and the payoff is due the first week of February and she said she wouldn't have their full amount by then and I'm not thinking I will either. It's Easter week so the rates are so high! So, being that the Beach Club currently has no availability, if we were to call and want to switch to a room only offer to pay the one night up front and the remaining days upon check in, our reservation for the villa will be cancelled and then what? If there are no other villas available then do we just have to look at other resorts or will the rep be able to book the 2 bedroom villa that we just had to cancel. Sorry so long, just trying to prepare myself for the options or choices we might have to make.

Thank you. I guess I could have been a little more specific. Ha. Our situation is that when we booked our 2 bedroom villa at Beach Club with my mom we weren't totally prepared for the total payoff date. It was months ago and didn't realize it would be here so soon I suppose. We just booked the package and put down the $200 deposit thinking it wouldn't be a big deal if we needed to cancel. I just pulled up the confirmation she sent me and the payoff is due the first week of February and she said she wouldn't have their full amount by then and I'm not thinking I will either. It's Easter week so the rates are so high! So, being that the Beach Club currently has no availability, if we were to call and want to switch to a room only offer to pay the one night up front and the remaining days upon check in, our reservation for the villa will be cancelled and then what? If there are no other villas available then do we just have to look at other resorts or will the rep be able to book the 2 bedroom villa that we just had to cancel. Sorry so long, just trying to prepare myself for the options or choices we might have to make.

Sadly it doesn't work like that. As soon as the package is canceled it will be gone. Your best bet is to keep calling every day and try to make a brand new room-only reservation (have to pay a one night deposit) .... then as soon as you book that you can cancel the package (before the 45 day mark) and start the refund process. It can take some time though to get the $200 back, so be aware of that, but I wouldn't cancel the package until you have a new confirmed reservation. You don't want to be caught with no room at all. Have you considered booking 2 rooms at the BC? Or a 2 bedroom at OKW or SSR might still be available. Those 2 bedroom villas at Boardwalk are tough to come by. Good luck!

Sadly it doesn't work like that. As soon as the package is canceled it will be gone. Your best bet is to keep calling every day and try to make a brand new room-only reservation (have to pay a one night deposit) .... then as soon as you book that you can cancel the package (before the 45 day mark) and start the refund process. It can take some time though to get the $200 back, so be aware of that, but I wouldn't cancel the package until you have a new confirmed reservation. You don't want to be caught with no room at all. Have you considered booking 2 rooms at the BC? Or a 2 bedroom at OKW or SSR might still be available. Those 2 bedroom villas at Boardwalk are tough to come by. Good luck!

Thank you for your help. I had a feeling it would be a big deal to try and get exactly what we had back if we had to cancel. I did look last night and there were some deluxe studios left so that is an option if we could get two. The one bedrooms were still available too but we'd still have to get 2 of them and it would end up costing more than the 2 bedroom which was already really expensive for that week. So, there was a 2 bedroom at OKW and BLT and one of the AK villas. There are still some options out there but everyone wanted to try the beach club this year so I'm not sure. I know we'll be going back soon and can try again but my parents don't go as often so it might be a while before we were to try BC again with them. After the sticker shock from the balance due though I'm thinking POR is looking like a nice affordable option! Thanks again!

I don't know if this will help your situation or not - you can always reduce the tickets on the package to the minimum amount, non-park-hopper and then upgrade the tickets when you arrive. Sometimes, this saving is enough for you to be able to pay your package off at the 45-day mark.

Also it doesn't get cancelled till the 30 day mark. Things come up. Keep in mind though changes made within the 45 day window can mean fees. Like loosing trip insurance or your deposit.
Good Luck!

As others have said, the package would have to be cancelled/refunded and a room only booked, requiring a new deposit equal to 1 night room rate + tax, with the balance due at check in. Room only reservations and packages are separate booking systems, so money paid toward one cannot be applied to the other.

I would call and ask to speak with someone in guest services before cancelling what you have. Guest services should be able to help you change from a package to room only without losing the 2 bedroom villa. I have done this before with no problems, so I would give that a try before cancelling and not being able to get back what you have/want. Good luck.

SharonZ said:
I don't know if this will help your situation or not - you can always reduce the tickets on the package to the minimum amount, non-park-hopper and then upgrade the tickets when you arrive. Sometimes, this saving is enough for you to be able to pay your package off at the 45-day mark.

That's actually a really good idea. Thanks.

I would call and ask to speak with someone in guest services before cancelling what you have. Guest services should be able to help you change from a package to room only without losing the 2 bedroom villa. I have done this before with no problems, so I would give that a try before cancelling and not being able to get back what you have/want. Good luck.

Well that does sound promising. Thanks for your input!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter