Question about Traveling on Thanksgiving

thecplusplusguy

Mouseketeer
Been reading this forum for a while finally had a question that may not have already been answered.

My wife and I are looking at going to The Fort the week after Thanksgiving 2010 :banana:. We would arrive at the Fort on Friday. I will be coming from Massachusetts. What is it like driving the East Coast on Thanksgiving? We would come 84 to 81 to 77 to 25? (I think) in SC over to 95 then on to the Fort.
This year when we went in April we drove to Penn. the first night (left at 6 pm) and then to South Carolina the 2nd night and then on to the Fort. We were hoping to do that again. Staying at Flying J's and Cracker Barrels.

Also how soon do I have to book this? I know the week after Thanksgiving isn't as busy, but that first weekend would be.

Thanks,
Dan

In '06 and '07 we left southern NH the night before Thanksgiving.

Our route is 90-84-87-Garden State-95 the rest of the way (except for the 2 beltways around DC and Baltimore)

We typically leave NH around 5pm and drive until about 3-4am Thanksgiving morning - which typically puts us around Richmond VA. Traffic was a bit heavy through NJ (even at 1am) but no backups.

Traveling south on 95 from Richmond on Thanksgiving day wasn't bad. It got busier whenever we passed close to the bigger cities, but kept moving. We arrived in Jacksonville Thanksgiving night around 8pm.

As for when to book....
I can tell you from experience that if you want to check in on Friday or Saturday, you need to book as soon as possible (I'd call right at the 499 day window). I've tried as early as June and not been able to get those days. Arriving Sunday isn't anywhere near as difficult.

Been reading this forum for a while finally had a question that may not have already been answered.

My wife and I are looking at going to The Fort the week after Thanksgiving 2010 :banana:. We would arrive at the Fort on Friday. I will be coming from Massachusetts. What is it like driving the East Coast on Thanksgiving? We would come 84 to 81 to 77 to 25? (I think) in SC over to 95 then on to the Fort.
This year when we went in April we drove to Penn. the first night (left at 6 pm) and then to South Carolina the 2nd night and then on to the Fort. We were hoping to do that again. Staying at Flying J's and Cracker Barrels.

Also how soon do I have to book this? I know the week after Thanksgiving isn't as busy, but that first weekend would be.

Thanks,
Dan

We've actually made this trip before, sort of:rolleyes: We took the Motorhome to Rye, NH to visit family and then back home and then off to Charlotte, NC the next day. We live very close to the exit for 81 in Hagerstown MD, so this route made the best sense and you avoid all the Baltimore-DC traffic on 95. Mapquest will show this route as about 1.5 hours longer but I think you will find it more than worth it. Less traffic, easier on and off the highway, prettier route etc. The traffic on Thanksgiving will be decent and I think, with your proposed route, Charlotte area will be the heaviest traffic for you. Good Luck!

I was not aware that I would have to book so far in advance. We will definately have to make our decision and call for reservations soon.

Dan

Hi Dan,
We will be making the trip this year from PA leaving Wed early evening- playing it by ear- first time:thumbsup2
I would book as soon as you can. I could be wrong but I think it's only one night's deposit to reserve. And I would book the most nights you think you may need. You can always cancel what you don't need later. We tried to "upgrade" and they had nothing available. Good luck planning!!!

If you end up adjusting your dates at all, try to avoid driving on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. We always heard that airports were bad that day, but have gotten stuck in some of the worst traffic jams of our lives that day.

We avoid it like the plague now.

Sue in Texas

Well I followed the advice and booked for Friday to Friday 11/26 to 12/3 in 2010. We will leave Wednesday night after work and drive until we are tired and stay over at a flying J or whatever. We plan on driving 8 or so hours then sleeping for a 4 or 5 then driving again. Hopefully that will get us there a little earlier on Friday than this year.

Dan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter