Question about taxes and fees

Illini_Fan

Mouseketeer
I've never paid much attention to the split between the cruise cost and the taxes/fees portion. Rather, it has been the bottom line pricing that gets my attention.

However, I'm now in the position of having booked a Nov 2015 cruise on opening day and will potentially "rebook" that same trip next week during our cruise aboard the Fantasy. Although rates have gone up some, the 10% OBB discount and the $200OBC from Disney makes it a better deal than just my opening day pricing and my OBC from my TA

Does anyone have experience with why or when the taxes on an invoice from a TA would be materially different than the taxes Disney shows on the website

Real Data from my invoice - this matches the opening day price on the DCL website, but I didn't capture the detail breakdown of fare vs. fee.
Cruise Date 11/20/2015 -- Disney Wonder from Galveston
Passenger 1 Fare: $1,246.00
Passenger 2 Fare: $1,246.00
Passenger 1 Tax / Fee: $214.09
Passenger 2 Tax / Fee: $214.09
TOTAL $2920.18

From the DCL website as of 06/05/2014
Same Cruise, same cabin
Passenger 1 Fare: $1,463.00
Passenger 2 Fare: $1,463.00
Combined Tax / Fee $148.18
TOTAL $3,074.18

Any ideas on why my invoice is so different than how the on-line booking system reflects the quotes.

thanks

tom

Taxes and fees often end up adjusted and I believe DCL estimates them high. I can't say for certain in your particular circumstance, but possibly the new adjusted taxes/fees are just out and DCL is in the processes of working the refunds back to passengers. It does seem like that is a considerable difference, though. It's usually somewhere around $10 that gets adjusted back to us.

Enjoy your cruise!

Just an FYI on the reshop the 10% is only off fares only not taxes/fees. Couldn't figure out why the obb quotes were off until my TA informed me.

Just an FYI on the reshop the 10% is only off fares only not taxes/fees. Couldn't figure out why the obb quotes were off until my TA informed me.

Thanks. I did know that which is why I'm so curious about the pricing spread between opening day invoice (fare) and current pricing.

That's $280 above DCL's site. You sure tips and/or insurance aren't in those fees from the TA?

That's $280 above DCL's site. You sure tips and/or insurance aren't in those fees from the TA?

Or transfers?

MJ

Yes, I'm sure those are not included.

If anything other than cruise fare and standard taxes/fees were included, the overall cost of the cruise would be higher. The cost charged by my TA exactly matches the opening day price from DCL - I actually have a screen shot of the DCL website, but sadly I didn't capture the fare / taxes part of the screen.

It is the split between how DCL shows the total cost breakdown and how my TA reflected it on the invoice. Like I mentioned in my original post, the total cost matches, which wouldn't happen if my TA added any of the costs people are asking about.

Now, it is possible that DCL estimated taxes and fees very high on opening day and have subsequently lowered them. I'll ask my TA, but was curious if anyone else had run into a similar situation.

Got my answer -- it is the $140 in port fees.

DCL includes them in the fare, my TA lists them in taxes / fee since they are non-commissionable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter