Question about sewing a waistcoat

mking624

DIS Veteran
I'm hoping this is the right place to ask...if not, I apologize!!

I'm trying to work on a costume for MNSSHP and need a waistcoat made. The design is pretty simple and it looks like the most difficult part would be the buttons/buttonholes. The problem? I can't sew. I don't even have a sewing machine. I am about to order the fabric and have a pattern...not it's just a matter of finding somewhere that will put it together for me. The cost of going to a professional seamstress/tailor is just too much to justify it...especially when I'm providing them with the materials. I need to have this by the beginning of September since we're leaving on 9/9 and I'm wearing it on 9/15. Does anyone know of places in general where they make simple patterns? Obviously since we don't all live in the same town, I'm not looking for specific business names. I'm really looking for ideas of where I could see if they could make the waistcoat for me at a reasonable price since I'm providing them the material and the pattern. Thanks in advance!

I'm not exactly sure what you have envisioned by a "waistcoat" but if you got to a JoAnn's fabric store, or Hancock's, or maybe even Wal-mart, you may find pattern books that have costume patterns in them. Perhaps someone who works at the store (esp. JoAnn's or Hancock's) may be able to help you (or would be willing to themselves) find you a seamstress to make the garment.

Waistcoats are what's worn underneat a coat/jacket of some sort...i.e. in the POTC movie, Jack Sparrow has a blue waistcoat that he wears over his white shirt, but under his regular coat...it's what you primarily see him wearing in the movies when his coat is not on. Think of it as a vest.

Anyway, as I mentioned, I already have a pattern so I don't need to find one (when I said I was looking for a place that made simple patterns, I meant actually making what's on the pattern, not actually designing the pattern itself). But thanks for the idea of asking them for seamstress resources!

If your county has an Extension Service, maybe you could locate a local 4-Her who'd make it for you for a little extra money.

Hate to be too negative here, but as a professional seamstress it is disturbing to read that you apparently think you are doing the seamstress some kind of favor by providing them with the fabric and pattern and that this should somehow greatly discount the cost to you. While your cost will indeed be diminished, by choosing a fabric that may be inappropriate for the pattern you could inadvertently cause the seamstress to spend more time than necessary on your costume ..... henceforth, more money from your end. Consultation with the professional can save time and money. I sincerely wish you luck finding someone that will put together your waistcoat ..... in the price range you are looking for.

I second what Bianca said! I have charged someone MORE because the pattern they brought me was 1) incorrect, 2) wrong size, 3) for a female when they wanted a male garment, male for female... or they got the fabric and it is totally incorrect. But worse is when they get the fabric, the pattern and tried to make it themself and couldn't. Thats the worse!
However, as I think I under stand this, it is for a MNSSHP? So all that should not be as big a problem. Best of luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter