Question about RCI

ML_LovesDisney

DIS Veteran
I am looking at the new tool for booking RCI online which is REALLY nice. I am confused though, there are more resorts listed in the resort directory than there are listed on the exchange. One of the resorts in Hawaii I want is in the directory, but not on exchange part. Does that just mean they aren't available for exchange at the moment OR they just aren't available to us at all as DVC members?

It simply means there are no dates currently on deposit in RCI's inventory.

I am looking at the new tool for booking RCI online which is REALLY nice. I am confused though, there are more resorts listed in the resort directory than there are listed on the exchange. One of the resorts in Hawaii I want is in the directory, but not on exchange part. Does that just mean they aren't available for exchange at the moment OR they just aren't available to us at all as DVC members?
I agree, just not currently available. Most exchanges for such items happen a year or more out and/or as matches to ongoing searches. HI is a particularly difficult location for decent exchanges. IF you want to exchange to HI, I'd talk to several of the independent exchange companies and see if they can get you anything. HI timeshare exchange, San Francisco Exch, Trading Place Maui, Trading Places Intl all seem to have ins for certain resorts in the area. I'm not sure about Donita's, Dial an Exchange and Platinum Interchange as it pertains to HI. A private exchange to Marriott, Westin, Wyndham, Shell, etc can also be a good option. I assume you're talking the Kaanapali Beach Club on Maui or one of the Hilton's.

ML_LovesDisney said:
Thanks! Dean, yes, I'm looking at the Hilton's. I will look into those suggestions

Hilton tends to space bank in bulk. I'm not sure when they do for HI but you should find out. I think it's 6 months out for many of their properties. They also don't list all of the unit sizes for the Oahu location which likely means they don't deposit them either. If your looking Waikiki the Wyndham is more realistic.

IIRC, Hilton deposits once or twice a year, many many months at a time.

Wyndham deposits one month at a time, about 7-8 months prior to check in.

Hilton Waikoloa Village on the Big Island is my ideal. I would probably take what I can get though, I want to spend some time on 2 different islands and if I could use points for one of those islands, it would save some $$

Hilton Waikoloa Village on the Big Island is my ideal. I would probably take what I can get though, I want to spend some time on 2 different islands and if I could use points for one of those islands, it would save some $$
Kauai and the Big Island are the two easiest. Likely the easiest to get top choices is Lawaii Beach Club for Kauai and Kona Coast for the BI. List all resorts you'd be happy with but realize you'll likely get your last choice if you match.

I am considering just doing a waitlist. I am not going until June 2014 and you have to pay the $95 transaction fee, which is fine, but what if I change my mind on dates? Would I just lose the $95 and have to pay it again to book something else?

I am considering just doing a waitlist. I am not going until June 2014 and you have to pay the $95 transaction fee, which is fine, but what if I change my mind on dates? Would I just lose the $95 and have to pay it again to book something else?
They will tell you the $95 is non refundable but that's not completely true. You have to pay it up front and if you match it is locked in and non refundable. However, if you cancel prior to any match or you don't match, it is fully refunded. You can also change your request at any time and such changes often don't affect your place in line for the exchange process.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter