Question about packing for the parks

blebert

Mouseketeer
We are heading to Disney at the end of Feb. next year with our 4 children (9,8,5,2) I always over pack and my husband has already told me he was not carrying bags this time. We will have a stroller for the little on. What are the basic must take with us to the parks each day? If I had my way I would have extra change of clothes for all thr kids and lots of little bags of snacks and lots or drinks for the kids as well as a full first aid kit and every medicine that thy may possiblely need. Along with a whole bunch of other little things. What is must have to take That will fit within our stroller?

And where do people get the DISagner banner thing to hang from stroller with our family name?

We are heading to Disney at the end of Feb. next year with our 4 children (9,8,5,2) I always over pack and my husband has already told me he was not carrying bags this time. We will have a stroller for the little on. What are the basic must take with us to the parks each day? If I had my way I would have extra change of clothes for all thr kids and lots of little bags of snacks and lots or drinks for the kids as well as a full first aid kit and every medicine that thy may possiblely need. Along with a whole bunch of other little things. What is must have to take That will fit within our stroller?
Wow. That's rough. A small first aid kit is a must I think. It doesn't have to be a major doing, it should all fit in an Altoids can, a few bandaids, antiseptic cleaning wipes and some antibiotic cream. Medicines only need to be taken to the parks if they are regular long term meds, extra meds that you might "possibly" need, should be at the hotel. If you need them, chances are the kid should be in the room taking a break. You should get refillable water bottles for each person and use large carabiners to hook them to the stroller (they can be refilled at QS restaurants). A change of clothes for each kid is necessary I think. Snacks...Be reasonable. If your kids have a good breakfast, they will maybe need a small something to hold them until lunch, and the same between lunch and dinner. Maybe toss in a few extras just in case. If you insist that you can't cut back, consider renting a locker.

I'm with your DH. And my DH would never carry bags either.

Is the 2 yr old potty trained? If so then you need very little, if not then a few diapers wipes and a change of clothes. If potty trained then just a change of clothing.

As far as meds unless they are sick I wouldn't take anything or some motrin. A couple band aids and you are set. Anything more than a bandaid we can go to first aid.

As far as snacks I would just take a couple things for the 2 yr old and a juice box.. And I would take a little toy or two for the youngest.

everything you need for the 2 yr old will fit in 1 small bag that can go under or on the stroller. The other kids can carry their own stuff if they want to bring anything.

Try going with as little as possible you will like it. And keep telling yourself that you are going to Disney and not a third world country .

just remember keep it simple each park had a first aid place i usually just keep two or three band aids and some cleaning pads in my wallet. a change of clothes is a good idea because they do have spots that the kids can play in water and you will want a plastic bag to put those damp clothes in after ( i usually ring them out real good then find a air hand dryer) as far as snacks if your using the ddp you may not need them. if not usually a pack of crackers is what we bring for dd and a refillable water bottle because you will want to stay hydrated Florida heat can be brutal. water is free just ask if you can have a cup of tap water and your good to go just have fun you will want to have space for those cant live without souvenirs !!!! :banana:

I agree with the others about taking a "full 1st aide" kit. A couple of Band-Aids, some Neosporin, a few pre-cut moleskins and some sample packets of Motrin or other pain reliever is sufficient.

No extra clothes for the older kids. I would just bring a change of clothing for the 2 year old. But I would bring extra sweaters or hoodies for everyone if you are traveling during the winter months. Looks like you're going in February? I've been there in January a couple of times and it gets pretty cold at night.

Take the diapers (if needed), a Ziploc bag of wipes and a small bottle of hand sanitizer

Take a small bag of snacks to share but just enough to quell the hunger while standing in line. No drink boxes. Bring refillable water bottles and a few powdered drink packets to mix in if the kids don't like the taste of the water.

A camera and cellphones are a must but not their chargers or extra batteries.

If the kids want to drag anything into the parks, tell them that they have to carry it. Mom and Dad are not pack animals. Give them those drawstring backpacks to hold their stuff. Once you have to carry that stuff on your own back, you redefine what is essential. So, if they cannot survive waiting in line at Soarin' without their PS3, then they will need to carry it all day.

I'm all for taking as little as possible into the parks. If I can slip my cellphone into my pocket and wear a lanyard around my neck to hold my KTTW and a few dollars, then I'm good to go. But then, I also understand that when you have small children you need to bring a few extras to make your day go smoothly.

What is must have to take That will fit within our stroller?

We used to take two full bags each with us and it was just too much! Now we bring one tiny backpack that has a little extra sunscreen, a small first aid kit with few bandaids and polysporin to go, which is a spray that doubles as antiseptic wipe and cream. We bring a small camera that is charged every night so no charger or batteries needed. We all wear clothes that dry quickly and use the dining plan for snacks in the parks. We do take small water bottles and fill them up as we go. I also take crayons for when we have ts as my dd always needs a colour that the restaurant doesn't have! We used to hang the backpack on the stroller with a carabiner, but we're trying to go stroller-less this year. Hoodies will be a must for you in February.

The only one I would pack a change of clothes for is the 2 year old. The others should be fine, and if something happens, you can always buy them a top. I also wouldn't waste space on a first aid kit. Each park has a first aid station, so there is no need to tote your own along.

Each of you older children should be able to carry their own snacks. Just have them wear a small bag. I agree with your hubby, you are parents, not pack mules.

Remember too that you will either need to carry all that stuff onto the rides with you, or leave it unattended in your stroller and hope it is still there when you get back. Or how would your hubby feel about renting a small locker?

If you're 2 year old is potty trained, all you should really need is a change of clothes for him and maybe a spare for the 5 y/o (yes my ds had an accident at age 5 at the MK because daddy couldn't find a bathroom - luckily the gift shop in the old Toon Town sold little boys undies). Maybe cheap rain ponchos, sunscreen and whatever meds you think will be necessary This should all fit in a small bag that could be left under the stroller.

On the trip when mine were 5 and 7, I stopped carrying anything other than what fit in a mini hipster - money/cards, inhaler and Benadryl for ds (older dd carries a sling bag and takes his EpiPen with hers), camera/extra batteries, a few pins for trading, a pen (for writting amounts on receipts for budgeting purposes) and my phone. Next trip, I'm going smaller - ds can put his inhaler in his pocket - basically I'm carrying a wallet on a string and my phone now doubles as a camera.

I am extremely minimalist when it comes to packing stuff into the parks. I would pack diapers and wipes (if needed), a change of clothes for the 2 year old (our rule is anyone under 5, we carry a change of clothes for), a few bandaids, a travel size tube of sun screen, a camera, your park ticket, id and credit card, a small amount of cash, some drink mix packets.

We don't carry water bottles anymore, too bulky! We stop at any location who serve fountain sodas and get free ice water. Anyone who can't tolerate the taste of it can use a drink mix to flavor it.

I would keep my camera, ticket, id and money on me and everything else in a small bag under the stroller.

As to snacks, we stick to what the kids are used to in school. They have a snack in the morning and a snack in the afternoon. for us, that means we buy a snack mid-morning and in the afternoon we are usually at the resort for resting so everyone gets theirs there. I know with a 2 year old I probably would have packed in some crackers/ dry cereal/fruit bits or something like that to keep them happy. But I would still keep the amount down counting on the mid-morning snack to take up most of the slack there.

good luck! I used to take a giant bag but since we've cut down it's soooo much easier!

Thanks everyone for your help! Another question.... What size bag can you take on the rides? I have completely forgot what we did 5 years ago, plus we only had 2 little one then. Can you take a backpack on the rides?

I agree with some and not others(male perspective). Less is more. No need for first aid since you can get assistance as needed throughout the parks. I always say you need 1 change of clothes for your youngest, 2-3 snacks, and a juice box. I'd bring a diapers if not potty trained. No need to carry extras, this is vacation not camping in the brush! :)

I just take a couple diapers and a pack of wipes and a sippy cup. If it's later in the night, I'll take light jackets.

My kids are 9, 7, 4, 4 and a baby when we went. I took a backpack. It had one change of bottoms for the 4 year olds, one change of clothes for the baby, wipes/diapers/changing pad, a bag of first aid stuff (benadryl single, neosporin, bandaids), snacks for everyone x2, one gatorade each. I also only took a small camera. All of this fit nicely and organized in the backpack, and we left it in the stroller on rides. I didn't take anything valuable into the parks, aside from the camera and that was in my pocket most of the time. I also had a sling for the baby, but yours is probably too old to need one. You also might want to include sunscreen, I did a couple of times, but other times just applied it in the morning, and took a break back at the house and reapplied it after a nap ;)

I really think it depends on whether you are staying on site. If so, you can easily go back to the room (just a little time consuming). If you are staying off site you may need to take a little more into the park with you.

My thoughts are for the older kids, they carry what they take. Send them with a backpack. The baby needs diapers and a change or two. Bandaids and neosporin. Wallets. Camera. Autograph book if you're doing that. That's it.

Honestly, everything other than wallets and camera should be able to stay in the bottom of the stroller for the two year old. Hope that helps.

ok, we havent gone yet (18 days!) but this is my plan for a 5yr old and a 14 month old.
in parks:
few bandaids, moleskin, adult meds
bottled water, few snacks (mostly for baby)
sippy cup and kids water bottle to refill
disposable bib (dont want photos ruined after eating)
diapers and wipes of course
a pair of flip flops for the older kid for playing in water- baby has sandals that r waterproof. 5 yr old will wear sneakers and socks otherwise.
second outfit for baby (this and the shoes in their own plastic bag, for wet shoes and in case clothes are reeeally dirty to go home)
sunscreen for the whole pasty family to use
light hoodie/sweatshirt for the kids, will make sure there is room in case we need rain gear...oh and if forecated i have some cheap ponchos too
MnM container of pennies and quarters for pressed penny machines
autograph book, i made this and glued click top sharpie to a ribbon so it doesnt get lost
antibacterial wipes- got a princess themed small pack for kids to use

i think that's it...of course camera and our phones. I bought a cheap $7 wristlet/wallet thing with a strap to attatch to my belt loop, keep in my pocket for phone, cards, id, ticket etc. so thats all i will need to bring on the rides...everything else (Dh taking camera in pocket) stays in bottom of the rented double stroller!

looks like a LOT when its written down lol....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter