Question about matting?

Discussion in 'The Creative Community' started by Spinning, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Spinning

Spinning <font color=deeppink>Give me a chunk of something

How many layers do you think of when something is to be matted? I usually think of the photo as one layer and then 1 or 2 more colors behind it.
    Just wondering.
    Of course now that I have my perfect layers I have been having a ball with matting....and will do several mats.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. jennyL

jennyL <font color=00cc00>Jon Bon Jovi. Ohh La La!<br><fo

I just got my perfect layers at the end of December and haven't had a real chance to play with it yet. I can't wait. Maybe I'll get a chance in some of the upcoming swaps I'm in.

For matting I usually have the picture and then a layer under it of some color. Then that is usually mounted on a background of color. If I'm using a white background then I usually add two colors under the picture.

4. marissat

marissat Mouseketeer

depends if what picture I want to stand out....I just did a soccer page with the team pictures and a only put dark blue behind the big team picture but light blue then dark blue under my sons pictures because I wanted that picture to stand out more.

the most I have done is in my 8x8 book. I have a pink baby picture so I have the Picture a black mat then a pink mat then a black mat again. and all that is on pink background.

Marissa :earsgirl:

5. PoohBearLovinMama

PoohBearLovinMama DIS Veteran

I am a matting freak. I mat just about every picture that goes onto my pages, just one layer/color though. If I want a picture to stand out, I'll use two layers/colors. I'm really debating getting the perfect layers though, I just don't want to end up in the ER. :teeth:

6. Spinning

I love my perfect layers! I changed knives though, I really like the kind that has a big red handle. Much less slipping. I never cut my self but I did cut into the plastic with the small handled knife that came with it.
    But perfect layers is my all time favorite tool! I love the mats...plus now I have been scrapping lots of 5x7's and I matte and matte and matte...thin matts, thick mats, thin again etc....

7. Twigs

Twigs <font color=deeppink>DIS Cast Member<br><font colo

When I mat a photo it depends on whether I am using a colored or patterned paper as a wallpaper. In those cases I usually only use one color under a picture, sometimes 2. If it is a white background I usually use 2 colors to mat the photo. To use more than that it would have to be a special picture that I was using and I probably wouldn't have too many other elements on the page, and that happens VERY rarely with me.

8. WDWAurora

WDWAurora <font color=teal>I may not be Peter's Tink, but I'

This is interesting to read, because I was looking at the rules for one of the swaps and it said that 3 colors should be involved in the mats and since I always use colored or patterned paper, 3 layers just seemed crazy to me! Two layers seems normal, as does one, but three for all the ones in the swap just seemed over the top. Glad that the 1-2 layers seems more "standard."

9. piratesmate

piratesmate <font color=red>Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue t

Double matted - I consider something double matted if there are 2 layers under the primary focus of the element. If it's a really neat sticker, Jolee item or even a brad, then 2 colors under it is double matted. I tend to do more double matting of "things" on the page rather than the photos, but it all depends. But I can't think of a time I'd ever use 3 colors! That's just too much IMHO!

When I use CM pages - or any plain, white page - I almost always double mat my photos. Otherwise it's too bland. However, I like to wallpaper. Then I just mix it up & tend to double mat special or my favorite photos on the page.

I recently did some heritage recipe albums for Christmas gifts. I did wallpaper the pages, but they were a combo of CS & PP. For photos/elements on the CS I used some of the PP as one of the mats and tended to double mat. For the things on the PP I used only one CS mat for the most part, but I was using a Fiskars lace corner rounder - so there was added interest there.

10. bubbasmom99

bubbasmom99 <br>Disney Obsessed<br><font color=red>I know you

I love the Perfect Layers too!

I consider "double-matted" (like in swap descriptions) to mean two layers of cardstock/paper. However, I rarely double mat my photos... I usually single mat them. Other page elements, like journal boxes & deco squares and tags are double matted.

I don't use plain background pages, though, so sometimes I don't mat my photos at all.... I have strips of paper or blocks of paper as background, but not necessarily centered on the photo.

11. Sandy22

Sandy22 <font color=magenta>Adopting a Princess<br><font c

I never mat using more than 2 colors - and that goes for both paper scrapping and digital scrapping. I think any more than 2 colors/layers would draw attention away from the picture I was matting.

12. JudithM

JudithM DIS Veteran

Spinning, good question ... I don't mat everything - sometimes I mat each photo on a page or maybe I mat the one or tow photos I want to jump out or maybe no matting at all :). I usually just mat with one paper/one layer, but sometimes it is two. I never thought about more than two though although I did read about it in a swap here.

13. nicki dahling

nicki dahling CyndiAKADisneyqueen<br><font color=deeppink> I can

I tend to mat in layers of two. Usually on the focus picture and then 1 layer of mat for the others or no mat at all. I can't think of many times where I have triple matted an element. That's a lot of paper and since most of my albums are cm that's a lot of weight on my refill pages. Especially since I wallpaper in most cases.

Cyndi

14. GrayFal

GrayFal I am REALLY over-vacationed this year ... well, EV

Occasionally, to make a picture really 'pop' - I have double matted....but usually only single. Sometimes I find the wider, double mat will 'calm' down a very busy or colorful picture.
    I also like to use several papers on the page - maybe tearing or angling a diferent colr across a PP - and then I don't mat at all.
    Triple seems like overkill - have never seen it in all my scrolling thru '2Peas' gallery.

15. pattyT

pattyT DIS Veteran

:teeth: Your going to make me buy that aren't you :teeth:

I have rarely done up to 4 matts...
    but that was a single picture layout with a black background and I wanted to make that picture just POP

usually one, ocassionally 2.

16. Spinning

Yep Patty you need magic layers. I think someone else is also selling it, Stampin' up maybe. It was a home sales person at a crop.
    I have to say I love it!

17. piratesmate

Are you bringing yours to the Feb crop? I'd love to see it in action. :teeth:

18. GrayFal

GrayFal I am REALLY over-vacationed this year ... well, EV

Didn't you guys get it online someplace...sounds like I really need this...Deb, :confused3 wha da ya think???

19. dreams91

dreams91 DIS Cast Member<br><font color=teal>Loves to veg o

I think they got it at QVC.com, if my memory is correct... ::yes::

20. Spinning

Oh yes it will be with me at the crop! Like I said it is my favorite tool! I love it!
    I got it at QVC during their big scrap week. I think it was about $25 including shipping!
    I'll bring hopefully if I remember both knives so you can try it. I think it makes your matts look so nice. They are always even. I only screw up every once in awhile and get a little curve....
    I can't cut a straight line to save my life even with a paper trimmer...so this is prefect for me!

21. piratesmate

Cool! I can't wait! :teeth:

I can usually cut the lines straight, but my problem is sticking them together evenly. LOL

I realized the other day that I have a problem with my 12" trimmer. :rolleyes: I still use my big rotary Fiskars - definitely not something to bring along to a crop. I may have to cut pieces before I come. I can't see buying a 12" trimmer just for crops, as I really like my rotary. :confused3